Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Beyond: Two Souls
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74
Beyond: Two Souls

Surprised there's not a thread for this yet.

Anyway. I have been looking forward to playing this game since I first heard of it over a year ago. I enjoyed playing it even though it was kinda slow and they had removed a lot of interaction compared to Heavy Rain. Interaction was one of the funny things in Heavy Rain and made it a lot more fun to play.

The story of HR was laughable though with a ton of plot holes. Beyond is, in my opinion, more deep, dealing with death and the afterlife. However David Cage is still David Cage and his stories begin in a good way but sooner or later they loose grip with reality.

All and all, I still shed a tear in the end, both of 'em

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
10-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Beyond: Two Souls

I've only played Heavy Rain out of all of his games yet I've watched a full walkthrough of Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy and have seen a fair bit of Beyond: Two Souls.

Fahrenheit had promise and had some really great moments however the game was so flawed overall and couldn't be looked at seriously.

I loved Heavy Rain personally. Not the best game but had a LOT of amazing moments and ideas. From what i've seen of B:2S, it seems like they've gone 2 steps forward but also 2 steps back.

I liked how they're putting real actors into games, shouldn't happen too often if you ask me but it was an interesting experiment and it worked if you ask me. The storyline has its ups and downs. I was cringing at the party when Jodie was a young teen, so Americanized and unrealistic however I found that in Jodie's rebellious goth/emo phase it was a great representation of someone isolated yet striving to fit in, had me feeling sorry for her. But then it got all rapey and unrealistic again, however the outcomes were somewhat satisfying yet I can't ignore the downsides because of this.

I have no idea why there is less decision making that actually affects the games plot in B:2S compared to Heavy Rain, I loved that in Heavy Rain. TotalBiscuit uploaded a very interesting video on the subject what makes a game. Heavy Rain felt more like a game than B:2S

[Image: luv.gif]
10-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

(10-17-2013, 08:32 PM)Wooderson Wrote: I have no idea why there is less decision making that actually affects the games plot in B:2S compared to Heavy Rain, I loved that in Heavy Rain. TotalBiscuit uploaded a very interesting video on the subject what makes a game. Heavy Rain felt more like a game than B:2S

Beyond felt like a movie where you could make a minor decision every 5 minutes. If you wanted to chop tomatoes in HR it was you chopping tomatoes in Beyond you decide that character should chop tomatoes and then you watch the character do it.

A Christmas Hunt
10-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(10-17-2013, 08:07 PM)i3670 Wrote: The story of HR was laughable though with a ton of plot holes.
Is it because

Spoiler below!
Shelby's psychological profile, according to Jayden, matches even less to a killer's in comparison to Ethan's?

[Image: p229xcq]
10-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

(10-17-2013, 09:19 PM)Chronofrog Wrote:
(10-17-2013, 08:07 PM)i3670 Wrote: The story of HR was laughable though with a ton of plot holes.
Is it because

Spoiler below!
Shelby's psychological profile, according to Jayden, matches even less to a killer's in comparison to Ethan's?

Spoiler below!
Well one would assume Ethan to be the killer since he was on purpose the 'red herring', when I was playing HR I was actually really unsure who the killer was until the typewriters. I was unsure if they were making it out to be Ethan so obviously that it would be him or for it to trick you. Turns out I made the right decision in doubting him at the time.

Sorry for the late spoiler fix Wink

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013, 01:13 AM by Wooderson.)
10-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(10-17-2013, 08:32 PM)Wooderson Wrote: I liked how they're putting real actors into games, shouldn't happen too often if you ask me but it was an interesting experiment and it worked if you ask me.

It's a trend that is on the rise, and I definitely have nothing against it. One immediate consequence is better animations/better performances but there are numerous pros and very few cons IMO.
10-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

(10-17-2013, 09:19 PM)Chronofrog Wrote:
Is it because

Spoiler below!

Oh God, where do I begin? I had a list of all plot holes and illogical things in the game. I'll see if I can find it. In the meantime, any other thoughts on Beyond?

A Christmas Hunt
10-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

So i've been following PDP's walkthrough (yeah I know, fuck me right?), so far watched up to the solo assassination mission (METAL GEAR JODIE!!)

I have to say, this game is all over the place in terms of narrative. I wouldn't say thats totally a bad thing, it just makes me chuckle to myself. It IS interesting though, however at times it feels forced to put you into the situations. QD got the layout of the narrative events almost spot on in HR, however this one is reminding me of Fahrenheit more and more unfortunately.

I'm really digging how you keep going back to earlier stages in Jodie's life, those are definitely my favourite parts as I'm a sucker for sympathy.

I found in the Metal Gear Jodie part that it was OTT. QD went full Hollywood style there, some ridiculous shit went down. I LOVED how before that it was showing how Jodie was actually fighting with Aiden about going on a date, great relationship development.

Overall so far i'm enjoying the game/interactive film more and more. Probably not helping myself as PDP can be quite frustrating often but ah well.

I'm looking forward to a justifiable ending. I'm interested in knowing more about how Aiden came to be more than anything. Random theory of mine is that Jodie and Aiden are twins however Aiden died before/at birth or something and his soul his conjoined with Jodie.

10-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

(10-18-2013, 09:33 PM)Wooderson Wrote: I'm looking forward to a justifiable ending. I'm interested in knowing more about how Aiden came to be more than anything. Random theory of mine is that Jodie and Aiden are twins however Aiden died before/at birth or something and his soul his conjoined with Jodie.

Spoiler below!

A Christmas Hunt
10-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

(10-18-2013, 10:38 PM)i3670 Wrote:
(10-18-2013, 09:33 PM)Wooderson Wrote: I'm looking forward to a justifiable ending. I'm interested in knowing more about how Aiden came to be more than anything. Random theory of mine is that Jodie and Aiden are twins however Aiden died before/at birth or something and his soul his conjoined with Jodie.

Spoiler below!

OK now I don't know what to think. They probably won't actually reveal much at the end of Two Souls since I've heard they're making the game into a trilogy?

10-18-2013, 11:04 PM
Find