Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Good advice for starting a light novel?
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49
Lightbulb  Good advice for starting a light novel?

Yes, i am serious. I'm considering to write a novel. Actually i've considered to write a novel for an year now.

Is there someone who has done this before? What kind of advice would you give?

I am totally newbie when it comes to this world, but i think, i have
the basic material in my head to write a descent or less decent story.

Thanks, in advance.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2013, 03:35 PM by Red.)
10-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Good advice for starting a novel?

I was in making a novel too, but it was in the page 100th or so that I realized the argument was pointless, that the characters didn't have life, so yeah, I've cancelled it.

At first, I'd make a list of ALL the characters that appear in the novel and their progress as the story goes through (Breaking Bad is a great example of this). Then, I'd write the storyboard (what things happen, when, why, who did it, etc.) to keep a timeline of happenings.

And that's all from my part Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

You need to start out with a concept. An idea. Something where you think: "Yes, this is great."
Then do as dolan says.

Trying is the first step to success.
10-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Pretty good advices i must admit.

I've already noted down: Characters and their backstories, the mileus, what the story is all about and the story in a nutshell. Anything more worth adding?
And is there some kind of advice for writing technics due the story has more
than one main protagonist?
10-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

I've written a complete novel before (50 000 words, NaNo). It sucked.

To start, the best way to prepare is to actually write one. Very few people get their first novel published. Pretty much the only way to write a good novel is to have experience. And you can't spend too much time preparing, or you might lose interest in your work by the time you've got everything figured out. It really shows in your writing if you aren't interested in the story anymore, unless you're one of those tank writers like George r.r. martin or Tolkien who can spend a lifetime on a series.

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2014, 04:11 AM by Froge.)
10-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I'd suggest you give this entire thread a good read, and make ABSOLUTE CERTAIN if writing a novel is your thing:

http://forums.deletionquality.net/showth...Publishing!

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
10-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

(10-21-2013, 05:03 PM)Chronofrog Wrote: I've written a complete novel before (50 000 words, NaNo). It sucked.

To start, the best way to prepare is to actually write one. Very few people get their first novel published. Pretty much the only way to write a good novel is to have experience. And you can't spend too much time preparing, or you might lose interest in your work by the time you've got everything figured out. It really shows in your writing if you aren't interested in the story anymore, unless you're one of those tank writers like George r.r. martin or Tolkien who can spend a lifetime on a series.

Also, post some prose right now. I can tell how good of a writer you are usually by reading a page or so of your work.

I'll consider when i get it up and running.

EDIT:I'll have to say something notable: The story is gonna be in a form of light novel. That's the way i inteded it to be from the beginnig. So i really should change the title to "Good advice for starting a light novel". I am sorry if this lead to a little confusion.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013, 05:13 PM by Red.)
10-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Don't know anything about writing novels but I respectfully disagree with Chrono. One should have a conception, at the very least a rough sketch of the entire story before starting. Inspiration can strike while writing and you of course should not resist that but to do everything as you go along is a mistake in my opinion. It is impossible to develop your characters and story if you don't have tight control over them. Before you start writing I'd recommend making a draft of an outline, letting it simmer for week or a few weeks and then return to it completely unattached. If you still feel it is compelling when the excitement has worn off, you should pursue it. If not, do another draft and repeat until you have something. Change plot elements or characters if you need to. The worst possible thing you can do I think is abandoning a good idea simply because you don't know what to do with it.

That's my two cents anyway. To recapitulate, I think it's necessary to know absolutely everything about your novel to be before writing if possible, because then instead of figuring out what happens as you're writing it, you can solve the more important issue of how to express it. Good luck.
10-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Good advice for starting a light novel?

(10-21-2013, 05:04 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: I'd suggest you give this entire thread a good read, and make ABSOLUTE CERTAIN if writing a novel is your thing:

http://forums.deletionquality.net/showth...Publishing!

I'll stick the thread under my year, it has much info about publishing which
i am not going to do, i am sure the novel won't be worth publishing. Thanks anyways.

(10-21-2013, 05:21 PM)Bridge Wrote: Don't know anything about writing novels but I respectfully disagree with Chrono. One should have a conception, at the very least a rough sketch of the entire story before starting. Inspiration can strike while writing and you of course should not resist that but to do everything as you go along is a mistake in my opinion. It is impossible to develop your characters and story if you don't have tight control over them. Before you start writing I'd recommend making a draft of an outline, letting it simmer for week or a few weeks and then return to it completely unattached. If you still feel it is compelling when the excitement has worn off, you should pursue it. If not, do another draft and repeat until you have something. Change plot elements or characters if you need to. The worst possible thing you can do I think is abandoning a good idea simply because you don't know what to do with it.

That's my two cents anyway. To recapitulate, I think it's necessary to know absolutely everything about your novel to be before writing if possible, because then instead of figuring out what happens as you're writing it, you can solve the more important issue of how to express it. Good luck.

I have to say, that i have pretty strong vision what concept is going to be, i've already planned how the story starts and how even it ends.
It took an year to plan every character and the whole concept of the story. My biggest concern is now, i am ready to implement it? How
should i start writing it? Do i have enough balls and mother tongue to write it? But of course these are the questions i can only answer myself.

And thank you for your effort btw.

I'll post some of the chapters here when i've translated and done with them.
But it'll take some time. Feel free to read.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013, 05:51 PM by Red.)
10-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Good advice for starting a light novel?

Having an idea, theme, scene (s), etc. in mind when starting is probably the most important part. Then it's just about polishing, aka editing, everything (from grammar and syntax to ideas and feelings and story etc etc etc) and just developing it.

You also have to be completely willing to scrap and/or improve ideas. Be highly critical of yourself (just as long as it doesn't border on self-hatred haha) and if you trust someone, have them read parts of it or talk to them about it; sometimes other people will see things you didn't and help you.

From there on, everyone else has a different method of continuing it and working on it. For example, I have folders( in my computer) and a real notebook with notes about everything you can imagine. There i've written down descriptions, quotes, characters' mental profiles (ambitions, weaknesses, vices, bla bla), possible plot developments and such.

But honestly, the most important part about it is editing and trying to have something you can write/type in on the go. Sometimes inspiration hits in the strangest places, so it's imperative to have somewhere to write stuff down. The alternate stuff (like my folders and notebook filled with miscellaneous notes) you'll figure out for yourself. Different people, different habits.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013, 09:14 PM by Cuyir.)
10-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Find