Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Threads: 0
RE: Gender

Related? Related. Just don't take this seriously, it's all in good fun (:
Spoiler below!
[Image: e7qBpnw.jpg]
10-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

in regards to dogfood's post

no

men and women are not equally discriminated and you're kidding yourself if you think that equal treatment of women has been reached over the last few years. women are statistically paid significantly less than men (see http://www.catalyst.org/knowledge/womens...and-income) and are often times have a harder time getting employed for the simple fact that they're female. they're still fighting for the right to be able to have control of their own bodies (see the fact that we're still having debates over whether or not abortions should be legal in fucking 2013). they still get shamed for the way they dress and how sexual active they are (see any dumbass highschooler complaining about "omg all the slutz" at their school), and yet pretty much any fashion magazine will tell you that to be considered beautiful and have self worth you have to present yourself in an over sexualized manor. even in the cases you were presenting when guys were given the shit end of the stick it was because people thought that the girl was too weak or incapable of handling rejection, which is kind of one of the key elements of why feminism even exists in the first place.

almost all of this isn't a conscious effort or some sort of ~male agenda~ or anything stupid like that it's just so indoctrinated into our society and is considered so socially accepted that most people don't question it, which is exactly why feminism still exists. it's to bring attention to said injustices and tries to educate people on them so they don't inadvertently take part in them.

this isn't even coming from a hardcore feminist or anything either lol, i disagree with a large amount of what they believe in but this sorta stuff is just common sense

Posting Freak
10-22-2013, 11:54 PM
Website Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

As a recently titled 'over emotional psuedo-feminist probably from a bad neighborhood' by a few people here, I find many posts on this thread hilarious.
I never said any of those things happened to me. And whether they did or not is no concern of yours or of the discussion. The fact remains, that as a male, you will most likely never have to worry about any of those things and more. That is called being privileged. Your life may still be difficult because of the expectations a patriarchal society places on men, but being a male, there are some things you are much less likely to have to worry about.
Don't worry, though. I'm just being over emotional.

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 05:23 AM by VaeVictis.)
10-23-2013, 12:33 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(10-21-2013, 12:34 PM)Bridge Wrote: Is this a joke? I don't see how it's possible for someone to write such a condescending and hypocritical statement. Do you really not see how fallacious it is to refute an argument in favor of sexual discrimination with such an egregious double standard? To top it off, the arguments you were supposedly refuting were totally imaginary.

Can you point me to one post here that claims that feminism is inherently a hate movement, or that gender equality is something that should not be strived for?

Which brings me to the double standard I mentioned. Why does the opinion of a male weigh less to you than that of a woman? That is in itself sexism and illustrates that you are just as disillusioned as the extremists. Furthermore, why does the fact that one is a gamer have any bearing on one's credence when it comes to this issue? Ignoring the fact that the number of female gamers has seen a very sharp rise in recent years, the idea that gamers are all basement dwellers with no knowledge of how the real world works is an entirely different type of discrimination. So, answer me truthfully: Does what a female gamer think about sexism have more weight than what a male gamer thinks about sexism? If you answered yes, then it is clear that you do not actually advocate equality, but are just as bad as the feminist extremists you claim to loath, spinning crazy tales of one large male conspiracy.

Strawmanning, projection, deliberate misreading, goldfish memory (see: the troll thread about AMFP being sexist and the hilarious hubbub over that), revealing much more about yourself than the person you're roaring at - all here in this post! :p

Study feminism. Get involved with it. Look at how the problems of the women in your life differ from yours. Or just question assumptions and the very fact that you got all hot and flustered, thus proving my sarcastic comment about hyper-emotional men! Smile All those things help.

P.S. Just throwing your hands up and saying "Ah, some men will be bad" is a cop-out. You and I, as men, can do something to help other guys be less casually dismissive of the female gender. The fact is that you shouldn't get angry when a girl complains about issues that affect her - it's not a personal attack on your gentlemanly conduct, and reading into it as such is not a grown man's way of discourse. A thick skin is necessary for the internet, if not a thick skull.

Spoiler below!
Video-game forums are always great places to get my daily fix of oblivious rage.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 05:16 AM by Alardem.)
10-23-2013, 04:19 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

(10-23-2013, 04:19 AM)Alardem Wrote:
(10-21-2013, 12:34 PM)Bridge Wrote: Is this a joke? I don't see how it's possible for someone to write such a condescending and hypocritical statement. Do you really not see how fallacious it is to refute an argument in favor of sexual discrimination with such an egregious double standard? To top it off, the arguments you were supposedly refuting were totally imaginary.

Can you point me to one post here that claims that feminism is inherently a hate movement, or that gender equality is something that should not be strived for?

Which brings me to the double standard I mentioned. Why does the opinion of a male weigh less to you than that of a woman? That is in itself sexism and illustrates that you are just as disillusioned as the extremists. Furthermore, why does the fact that one is a gamer have any bearing on one's credence when it comes to this issue? Ignoring the fact that the number of female gamers has seen a very sharp rise in recent years, the idea that gamers are all basement dwellers with no knowledge of how the real world works is an entirely different type of discrimination. So, answer me truthfully: Does what a female gamer think about sexism have more weight than what a male gamer thinks about sexism? If you answered yes, then it is clear that you do not actually advocate equality, but are just as bad as the feminist extremists you claim to loath, spinning crazy tales of one large male conspiracy.

Strawmanning, projection, deliberate misreading, goldfish memory (see: the troll thread about AMFP being sexist and the hilarious hubbub over that), revealing much more about yourself than the person you're roaring at - all here in this post! :p

Study feminism. Get involved with it. Look at how the problems of the women in your life differ from yours. Or just question assumptions and the very fact that you got all hot and flustered, thus proving my point! Smile All those things help

P.S. Just throwing your hands up and saying "Ah, some men will be bad" is a cop-out. You and I, as men, can do something to help other guys be less casually dismissive of the female gender. The fact is that you shouldn't get angry when a girl complains about issues that affect her - it's not a personal attack on your gentlemanly conduct, and reading into it as such is not a grown man's way of discourse.

Spoiler below!
Video-game forums are always great places to get my daily fix of oblivious rage.

Thanks. Smile

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 10:58 AM by VaeVictis.)
10-23-2013, 04:26 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(10-23-2013, 12:33 AM)Abraxas Wrote: As a recently titled 'over emotional psuedo-feminist probably from a bad neighborhood' by a few people here, I find many posts on this thread hilarious.
I never said any of those things happened to me. And whether they did or not is no concern of yours or of the discussion. The fact remains, that as a male, you will most likely never have to worry about any of those things and more. That is called being privileged. Your life may still be difficult because of the expectations a patriarchal society places on men, but being a male, there are some things you are much less likely to have to worry about.

For every girl that is tired of pretending to be weak when she wishes to be strong, there is a boy that is tired of pretending to be strong when he wishes to be weak. I've been raised under feminist culture. Through my homeschooling I was spending my days in the office of my mother, who is head of Women and Gender Studies at her University. I am a male. I was made fun of at my school for writing poetry and appreciating nature, because apparently guys aren't allowed to be sensitive. Am I ignorant to many of the hardships faced by women in this culture? Most definitely. Are you ignorant to many of the hardships faced by men in this culture? That's what I want to know.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that men face just as many difficulties as women do, since they probably don't. Let's just remember what feminism stands for today: The unity and equality of both sex.
10-23-2013, 05:43 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

(10-23-2013, 05:43 AM)failedALIAS Wrote:
(10-23-2013, 12:33 AM)Abraxas Wrote: As a recently titled 'over emotional psuedo-feminist probably from a bad neighborhood' by a few people here, I find many posts on this thread hilarious.

For every girl that is tired of pretending to be weak when she wishes to be strong, there is a boy that is tired of pretending to be strong when he wishes to be weak. I've been raised under feminist culture. Through my homeschooling I was spending my days in the office of my mother, who is head of Women and Gender Studies at her University. I am a male. I was made fun of at my school for writing poetry and appreciating nature, because apparently guys aren't allowed to be sensitive. Am I ignorant to many of the hardships faced by women in this culture? Most definitely. Are you ignorant to many of the hardships faced by men in this culture? That's what I want to know.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that men face just as many difficulties as women do, since they probably don't. Let's just remember what feminism stands for today: The unity and equality of both sex.

I just said that patriarchal society expects certain things from men. It's not a good thing. And it disproportionately effects women. One set of issues not not cancel the other.

10-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Oh.

So where the fuck is the controversy?
10-23-2013, 06:04 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(10-23-2013, 06:04 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: Oh.

So where the fuck is the controversy?
This.

I'd also like to add that there are things that happen to men that society and the media don't like talking about(Rape where a man is the victim is rarely talked about but does happen, Homosexual men are treated worse than homosexual females in general, Expected to keep an air of masculinity or be shunned, almost always at a disadvantage in custody hearings, etc)

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 06:19 AM by Ghieri.)
10-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(10-22-2013, 12:58 PM)Paddy™ Wrote: Flaming and provocation, whether direct or not-so-subtly encoded in passive-aggressive turns of phrase, will be ruthlessly searched for and removed.

(10-23-2013, 04:19 AM)Alardem Wrote: Strawmanning, projection, deliberate misreading, goldfish memory (see: the troll thread about AMFP being sexist and the hilarious hubbub over that), revealing much more about yourself than the person you're roaring at - all here in this post! :p

(10-23-2013, 04:19 AM)Alardem Wrote:
Spoiler below!

Children...I'd really hate to get nasty here Smile

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 07:50 AM by Kreekakon.)
10-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Find