Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Religion
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
RE: Religion

Hey guys, guess what I believe in.

[Image: p229xcq]
10-31-2013, 12:42 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(10-31-2013, 12:42 AM)Chronofrog Wrote: Hey guys, guess what I believe in.

[Image: avatar_24086.gif?dateline=1381519469]
10-31-2013, 01:09 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

animal collective is my religion

Posting Freak
10-31-2013, 01:47 AM
Website Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

(10-30-2013, 11:01 PM)Paddy™ Wrote: Are we gonna have to start another debate thread about the merits of having debate threads? XD

Yes...

And I have a ''mean'' way (not sure what to call it at the moment) of looking at religion.

Yeah, it's caused a lot of bad things (understatement of the century) and yeah it's a tool for controlling the masses (look up at all the things the Catholic Church made into a sin for political, economical and control reasons) but some people are positively affected by it.

If you consider religion a lie, illusion, tool, etc., good for you, it's still a good source of moral support. Church groups tend to be very positive to other people. And yes, fanatics exist. Yes, there are groups that are very clique-y and irritating, but the fact remains that they could be a source for goodwill and more.

So basically what i'm saying is that it's a tool of control and some people live in an illusory world but if that makes them feel good (and they aren't insane and/or doing harm to anyone) then more power to them.

I have complicated beliefs I won't discuss outright and ''in public'' but i'm not a christian but not a chest beating atheist either.
10-31-2013, 01:52 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(10-30-2013, 11:20 PM)Ghieri Wrote: My biggest problem with it is that people, especially politicians still run with the idea without questioning it and thus have a world view that isn't consistent with reality. It influences their decision making, which in turn makes the lives of other people more miserable. "I believe my god wants me to make it so you have to either stop having sex completely or have 12 kids, so you'll bet your buttons that those are the only two choices you're going to get!"*

*Slightly exaggerated unless you live in the US.

To be frank, although it's likely true, I don't think it really contributes much to what we're talking about here. What you just mentioned is an unfortunate reality of the matter while prior to this newest post we were mostly talking about what we feel like should be thought about the matter.

Just because many people employ it poorly doesn't mean the notion is a completely bad one for the rest of us who don't use it in such negative ways.

(10-31-2013, 01:52 AM)Cuyir Wrote: If you consider religion a lie, illusion, tool, etc., good for you, it's still a good source of moral support. Church groups tend to be very positive to other people. And yes, fanatics exist. Yes, there are groups that are very clique-y and irritating, but the fact remains that they could be a source for goodwill and more.

So basically what i'm saying is that it's a tool of control and some people live in an illusory world but if that makes them feel good (and they aren't insane and/or doing harm to anyone) then more power to them.

This is one of the main reasons I think it's completely alright to let people believe what they want to believe, which is further strengthened by what I said earlier about it being impossible to be proven false. In a world where the afterlife, and/or so many things are unsure, having religion as a form of moral comfort, and support I think is a healthy thing for the mind in moderate doses as long as it does not become the sole driving purpose of your life.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013, 06:34 AM by Kreekakon.)
10-31-2013, 06:32 AM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

Threads: 3

I don't think atheists really have the right to call people who believe in a god "religious", because technically atheism is a religion as well.
As a Christian, I believe we have all been saved, it comes down to whether we accept our Salvation, offered FREELY to us.

You will see me, and weep in cold fear...
10-31-2013, 07:09 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

Atheism is a religion in the same way that not shooting heroin is an addiction.
10-31-2013, 07:19 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(10-31-2013, 07:09 AM)TheWalshinator Wrote: I don't think atheists really have the right to call people who believe in a god "religious", because technically atheism is a religion as well.
As a Christian, I believe we have all been saved, it comes down to whether we accept our Salvation, offered FREELY to us.

Religion is an organized belief in something. Atheism is neither organized or based on belief.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-31-2013, 07:26 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

In my country, you have to have a goddamn religion. YOU HAVE TO. Literally. To get a job or get in to school.

Also, possible controversies.
Spoiler below!

Christian/Buddha/Hindu has no controversies. Let's talk about Islam. Lots and lots of arguments.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
10-31-2013, 07:47 AM
Find
SchnidlersLeest Offline

Threads: 1

(10-30-2013, 08:40 PM)i3670 Wrote: Why not discuss politics instead? Atleast that has some concrete "facts".

Heh.

Yeah, let's start a politics thread. Cool
10-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Find