Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overwritten files in Amnesia folder, Title Screen is wrong
Tetrafish Offline

Threads: 3
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Overwritten files in Amnesia folder, Title Screen is wrong

I downloaded a full conversion mod... I could swear that I've done this before with others (granted it was only a couple times, and other times I've used Desura) -- where you go ahead and put the files into the main Amnesia folder (I'm using Steam -btw). This time(?) I was asked to overwrite some files and I let it overwrite (and honestly, I don't recall if I've had to overwrite before, I just figured since we're supposed to put FCM files in the main Amnesia folder that that was the thing to do and it'd be okay).

Now, when I load Amnesia the title screen is the one of the full conversion mod I downloaded.

I tried to reinstall Amnesia via Steam, but the title screen is still the same.

I fudged this up earlier today so I don't know for sure if anything else in the game is corrupted (e.g. not original).

How can I get the title screen back to the original?
10-31-2013, 04:10 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Overwritten files in Amnesia folder, Title Screen is wrong

Just to be sure, did you reinstall completely via Steam, or did you simply verify your game files? If it was the latter, try uninstalling the game entirely first and then reinstalling it.
10-31-2013, 04:30 AM
Find
Tetrafish Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Overwritten files in Amnesia folder, Title Screen is wrong

Technically, I right clicked the game name in my Steam Library and chose 'Delete Local Content...' Then I redownloaded and installed the game.

*which didn't fix the problem*

Should I go through Control Panel.... Uninstall a Program (instead of using Steam)?

I would go ahead and try it but I'd rather play it safe at this point and not risk messing something else up.
10-31-2013, 06:00 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

Nah I think the way you did it was fine. My only other suggestion is that the problem could lie in your profile folder, which isn't located in the Steam directory.

It's possible that Amnesia's main settings were altered by the mod you installed, so you can try deleting the settings file and allow the game to recreate it the next time it's run. You can find the file here:

\My Documents\Amnesia\Main\main_settings.cfg

When you move/delete/rename the file, run the game again and see what happens.
10-31-2013, 06:18 AM
Find
Tetrafish Offline

I relocated the main_settings.cfg, started the game... But it still has the same/wrong title screen/background.

Just for reference - this might explain a bit more of what I did.

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid271168

SO, whatever files are associated with that *isolated FCM - that's what needs to be fixed... I guess.
10-31-2013, 08:19 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Hi,

After uninstalling the game via Steam (delete local content), go to the Amnesia folder and delete the leftover files from the full conversion manually. Then reinstall the game.

To play the full conversion, simply place the folder Eternium1 inside the main Amnesia folder. Don't merge any folders and don't overwrite any files.

Hope this helps!

10-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Find
Tetrafish Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Thumbs Up  RE: Overwritten files in Amnesia folder, Title Screen is wrong

Thanks Ashtoreth, that did the trick.
10-31-2013, 07:35 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

The same thing happened to me, but with the non-Steam version. After uninstalling the game I had to manually delete the Amnesia folder, because the full conversion files aren't part of the main game so the uninstaller doesn't remove them.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to solve the problem. Smile

11-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Find
Psycho Snail Offline

Threads: 1

(11-01-2013, 12:09 AM)Ashtoreth Wrote: The same thing happened to me, but with the non-Steam version. After uninstalling the game I had to manually delete the Amnesia folder, because the full conversion files aren't part of the main game so the uninstaller doesn't remove them.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to solve the problem. Smile
I have been having a similar problem for quite some time now (I accidentally overwrote the main files), so how do I uninstall then re-install Amnesia?
Thanks
11-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

(11-11-2013, 10:42 PM)Psycho Snail Wrote: I have been having a similar problem for quite some time now (I accidentally overwrote the main files), so how do I uninstall then re-install Amnesia?
Thanks

Hi,

You mean on Steam, right? Open your Steam Library, right-click "Amnesia: The Dark Descent", select "Delete Local Content..." and click "Delete". After the removal is finished, go to the game folder on your computer (Steam\SteamApps\common\Amnesia The Dark Descent) and manually delete the remaining files.
To reinstall the game, go back to your Steam Library and click "Install".

11-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Find