Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full conversion menu_bg.map is not visible/black screen, pixelated text & mouse lag?
GoreGrinder99 Offline

Threads: 47
Full conversion menu_bg.map is not visible/black screen, pixelated text & mouse lag?

When booting up my conversion I hadn't worked on for a while I noticed that when I load up the game, the menu background map file doesn't show up but rather a black screen, the menu and logo texts are pixelated and the mouse does this cloning lag effect. I have loaded up the map and it works fine and as far as I know all the files should be properly named and placed. Everything otherwise works flawlessly, the game loads when clicking Start Game and the other options are fine as well as the game internally. If anyone has any advice please feel free to reply, thank you!

-Grind to the Gore-
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2013, 04:01 AM by GoreGrinder99.)
11-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Full conversion menu_bg.map is not visible/black screen, pixelated text & mouse lag?

1) Make sure you start from the default menu map file and DO NOT delete the camera. Last time I tried to make a menu bg from scratch, the camera area I made was causing issues. If you made the menu level from scratch, try importing the level into a duplicate menu_bg.map from the original.
2) Delete any map_caches if there are any.
11-21-2013, 02:33 AM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

RE: Full conversion menu_bg.map is not visible/black screen, pixelated text & mous...

(11-21-2013, 02:33 AM)Statyk Wrote: 1) Make sure you start from the default menu map file and DO NOT delete the camera. Last time I tried to make a menu bg from scratch, the camera area I made was causing issues. If you made the menu level from scratch, try importing the level into a duplicate menu_bg.map from the original.

I'm sorry but what do you mean by "try importing the level into a duplicate menu_bg.map from the original."? Copy the menu_bg.map, place the original one else where and put he copied one in the main menu folder? If so I tried that.

-Grind to the Gore-
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2013, 03:07 AM by GoreGrinder99.)
11-21-2013, 02:49 AM
Find
ExpectedIdentifier Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Full conversion menu_bg.map is not visible/black screen, pixelated text & mous...

(11-21-2013, 02:49 AM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote:
(11-21-2013, 02:33 AM)Statyk Wrote: 1) Make sure you start from the default menu map file and DO NOT delete the camera. Last time I tried to make a menu bg from scratch, the camera area I made was causing issues. If you made the menu level from scratch, try importing the level into a duplicate menu_bg.map from the original.

I'm sorry but what do you mean by "try importing the level into a duplicate menu_bg.map from the original."? Copy the menu_bg.map, place the original one else where and put he copied one in the main menu folder? If so I tried that and no luck and I was mistaken about the game loading properly, I forgot I was loading he custom story version through the original Amnesia. I keep getting a BlackBox error report while loading the first map, the loading screen is there as well as the music but after a couple seconds it crashes or if I click the screen.

1.) If you have a full conversion I'm assuming you have a custom menu.cfg file, if not ignore this step and go to 2. If you do, the name of the background map is specified in menu.cfg, make sure they're the same name (this probably isn't the issue, good to be sure though).

2.) It's probably this - Make sure the camera in your bg map is called CameraPos, if it is, maybe the camera is facing the wrong way (it's actually opposite to the direction it faces usually when you use it as a player start area).

Closure ModDB page:

[Image: 16LO8Sx]
11-21-2013, 03:10 AM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(11-21-2013, 03:10 AM)sonataarctica Wrote:
(11-21-2013, 02:49 AM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote:

I'm sorry but what do you mean by "try importing the level into a duplicate menu_bg.map from the original."? Copy the menu_bg.map, place the original one else where and put he copied one in the main menu folder? If so I tried that and no luck and I was mistaken about the game loading properly, I forgot I was loading he custom story version through the original Amnesia. I keep getting a BlackBox error report while loading the first map, the loading screen is there as well as the music but after a couple seconds it crashes or if I click the screen.

1.) If you have a full conversion I'm assuming you have a custom menu.cfg file, if not ignore this step and go to 2. If you do, the name of the background map is specified in menu.cfg, make sure they're the same name (this probably isn't the issue, good to be sure though).

2.) It's probably this - Make sure the camera in your bg map is called CameraPos, if it is, maybe the camera is facing the wrong way (it's actually opposite to the direction it faces usually when you use it as a player start area).

It is indeed called CameraPos, blue arrow is facing backwards, opposite to player start and it is under the Player Start category for type. I was also wrong about the sounds in the menu, nothing menu background map wise works, only the graphics and texts and the bg music.

-Grind to the Gore-
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2013, 03:20 AM by GoreGrinder99.)
11-21-2013, 03:17 AM
Find

(11-21-2013, 03:17 AM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote: It is indeed called CameraPos, blue arrow is facing backwards, opposite to player start and it is under the Player Start category for type.

Did you check the menu.cfg file? You're looking for:

BGScene = "yourbgmap.map"

Closure ModDB page:

11-21-2013, 03:18 AM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(11-21-2013, 03:18 AM)sonataarctica Wrote:
(11-21-2013, 03:17 AM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote: It is indeed called CameraPos, blue arrow is facing backwards, opposite to player start and it is under the Player Start category for type.

BGScene = "untitled/main_menu/menu_bg.map" It is correct. :|

-Grind to the Gore-
11-21-2013, 03:21 AM
Find

(11-21-2013, 03:21 AM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote:

Try just menu_bg.map

Closure ModDB page:

11-21-2013, 03:22 AM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(11-21-2013, 03:22 AM)sonataarctica Wrote:
(11-21-2013, 03:21 AM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote:

Try just menu_bg.map

Still same effect... Not sure what I could have possibly done to have this happen.

-Grind to the Gore-
11-21-2013, 03:24 AM
Find

(11-21-2013, 03:24 AM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote: Still same effect... Not sure what I could have possibly done to have this happen.

You should try what Statyk said, copy the default bg map and try and use it in your mod and see if that works.

Closure ModDB page:

11-21-2013, 03:29 AM
Find