Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

If Daniel has nyctophobia,,,
Soto Offline

Threads: 0
RE: If Daniel has nyctophobia,,,

Just wanted to note that Daniel had nyctophobia all the way back when he was a small child. It can be read in the loading screens; his father urges him to go into the basement, he accidentally breaks a jar of paint and he cries and knows he will be punished.
05-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Find
MrWhitticus Offline

Threads: 9

(05-20-2014, 06:46 PM)Soto Wrote: Just wanted to note that Daniel had nyctophobia all the way back when he was a small child. It can be read in the loading screens; his father urges him to go into the basement, he accidentally breaks a jar of paint and he cries and knows he will be punished.

The loading screen actually read:
"[Daniel] wasn't particularly afraid of the dark, but he had always disliked going into the basement."

So he possibly didn't have the phobia by this point, and the event in the tomb spurred it on or one of the other theories that you guys came up with.

*Careless Whisper saxophone solo*
06-14-2014, 08:53 AM
Website Find
Soto Offline

Threads: 0

(06-14-2014, 08:53 AM)MrWhitticus Wrote:
(05-20-2014, 06:46 PM)Soto Wrote: Just wanted to note that Daniel had nyctophobia all the way back when he was a small child. It can be read in the loading screens; his father urges him to go into the basement, he accidentally breaks a jar of paint and he cries and knows he will be punished.

The loading screen actually read:
"[Daniel] wasn't particularly afraid of the dark, but he had always disliked going into the basement."

So he possibly didn't have the phobia by this point, and the event in the tomb spurred it on or one of the other theories that you guys came up with.

I didn't quote it, I just summarised it. But no, he didn't fear the dark, he feared never being able to escape it:
- "He wasn't particularly afraid of the dark, but he had always disliked going into the basement. His father urged him on to fetch the red dye. As he stepped into the dark, he thought, "I will never escape this""
- "He cried like the little boy he was. All alone in the dark basement, broken glass tearing at the flesh of his naked feet, and blood mixed with blue tint."

He didn't like the dark back then. He always had a fear of being trapped in the darkness forever, and I guess you could say that the incident in the tomb triggered it. My point is just that he developed the fear earlier. I agree that the incident must have been very traumatising to him, especially if he never really liked the dark.
06-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Find
MrWhitticus Offline

(06-15-2014, 10:33 AM)Soto Wrote: I didn't quote it, I just summarised it. But no, he didn't fear the dark, he feared never being able to escape it:
- "He wasn't particularly afraid of the dark, but he had always disliked going into the basement. His father urged him on to fetch the red dye. As he stepped into the dark, he thought, "I will never escape this""
- "He cried like the little boy he was. All alone in the dark basement, broken glass tearing at the flesh of his naked feet, and blood mixed with blue tint."

He didn't like the dark back then. He always had a fear of being trapped in the darkness forever, and I guess you could say that the incident in the tomb triggered it. My point is just that he developed the fear earlier. I agree that the incident must have been very traumatising to him, especially if he never really liked the dark.
Plus there's a possibility that maybe the effects of his phobia had moved on by the time that he became an archaeologist and that may be a reason as to why he decided to be brave and venture into a run down tomb that could collapse at any point and trap him.

A very thought provoking point.

06-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Website Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Daniel's traumatic experiences within the tomb are the cause of his nyctophobia.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
06-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Find
MrWhitticus Offline

(06-15-2014, 11:10 AM)Romulator Wrote: Daniel's traumatic experiences within the tomb are the cause of his nyctophobia.

Was this confirmed at all or are you just making an assumption?

06-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Website Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(06-15-2014, 01:19 PM)MrWhitticus Wrote:
(06-15-2014, 11:10 AM)Romulator Wrote: Daniel's traumatic experiences within the tomb are the cause of his nyctophobia.

Was this confirmed at all or are you just making an assumption?

Isn't 'assumption' what Amnesia is? Tongue

Either way:
Amnesia Wiki Wrote:Young Daniel developed nyctophobia, an intense fear of the darkness. This was not because Daniel was literally afraid of the absence of light itself, but because he feared the possibility that he may be trapped forever in the dark with no hope of escape.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
06-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Find
MrWhitticus Offline

(06-15-2014, 01:30 PM)Romulator Wrote: Either way:
Amnesia Wiki Wrote:Young Daniel developed nyctophobia, an intense fear of the darkness. This was not because Daniel was literally afraid of the absence of light itself, but because he feared the possibility that he may be trapped forever in the dark with no hope of escape.

Ah good to know

(06-15-2014, 01:30 PM)Romulator Wrote: Isn't 'assumption' what Amnesia is? Tongue

And you have a point

06-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Website Find