Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Short Memory Blackouts
BAndrew Offline

Threads: 23
Short Memory Blackouts

In the last few months I have noticed that sometimes for no reason I have short memory "blackouts" (I don't know what to call them). I don't remember things that I have just done. For example, a few hours ago I prepared my backpack. After 2 minutes or so I had completely forgotten about it and I went to prepare it until I realised that everything was already in place. In addition, sometimes I put things somewhere (eg table, desk) and then I immediately forget where I have put them.

This doesn't happen very often and I haven't looked into it, because I thought it was nothing (well maybe it is nothing). Could it be something serious or is it normal? Does it happen to you sometimes or not? I asked a friend about it and told me that I was just working too hard and that I should relax.

Generally my memory is OK. I always remember important things and of course sometimes I might forget something, but this is getting ridiculous.

I have also noticed that most memory "blackouts" happen when I am in a hurry so it might just be that. What's your opinion? Should I worry or not?

•I have found the answer to the universe and everything, but this sign is too small to contain it.

[Image: k2g44ae]

11-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: Short Memory Blackouts

In a hurry our minds are racing trying to remember alll the things we need to do in order to get out the door (or do whatever else) and after something is already done (eg. put a key down, or fixed your backpack) it may move on to something else and not precisely remember the other thing you had just done because your brain is rushing you, trying to get you to focus on the task(s) at hand.

My opinion.

11-30-2013, 12:51 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Probably a tumor or some sort of lesion in the posterior localization cortex. Apply for chemotherapy and you'll be fine.

Na, you're cool. Your mind is probably just racing and doesn't have the time to "label" and organize your short term memories.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
11-30-2013, 01:05 AM
Find
BAndrew Offline

Thank you both for your responses Smile they are really useful. I didn't think I had a problem , but on the other hand I haven't heard of anyone having the same problem so I was sceptical. Good to hear that it's fine. The truth is when I am doing simple things like preparing the backpack or put an item down, etc I think a lot about other things and I don't really pay attention to what I do.

•I have found the answer to the universe and everything, but this sign is too small to contain it.

[Image: k2g44ae]

11-30-2013, 01:11 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

You're fine, everyone experiences those, but we normally "forget" those except the rare moments where we freak ourselves out and we are the cause of them turning into long-term memories.

If you really did have a problem, it would most likely be next to impossible to realize yourself because only people around you would notice the problems.
11-30-2013, 01:37 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

My brain's always racing and it's made me quite absent-minded and clumsy. I'll even forget things seconds after I tell myself to remember them, if I get distracted. Quite easy to lose my train of thought.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
11-30-2013, 02:50 AM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Usually on the days where I can't think straight I randomly start going somewhere, then I stop and ask "Wait, what was I doing again?"

I do hate it sometimes when that happens. When you randomly do stuff and forget what you originally wanted to do.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
11-30-2013, 03:46 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(11-30-2013, 02:50 AM)Ghieri Wrote: My brain's always racing and it's made me quite absent-minded and clumsy. I'll even forget things seconds after I tell myself to remember them, if I get distracted. Quite easy to lose my train of thought.

Yup. Feels like my train has too many tracks.

11-30-2013, 04:28 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Also, this:

[Image: door.png]

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
11-30-2013, 05:32 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Once I was plucking my eyebrows and had to stop momentarily because my mother asked me to do something else I can't remember now (haha)... So, when I got back to the bathroom to finish the essential task (because thick, uneven eyebrows are a pain in the ass and very unattractive), I realised that the tweezer was nowhere to be found. I looked everywhere in the bathroom, then in the bedroom, kitchen, etc. Nothing.
I was about to give up, but then I placed my hands inside my hoodie pockets and...

you know the rest of the story. Rolleyes

11-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Find