Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billboard help?
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
Billboard help?

I followed a bunch of online tutorials but I can't help but feel that I put these billboards together quite shabbily. In particular if I stare at it at a certain angle in game I can see the clear, distinct lines of light that they are.

I made the following. Can someone tell me how to improve?

[Image: ph00.png]

[Image: p229xcq]
12-02-2013, 07:43 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: Billboard help?

Making the colors of them much lower will help you Smile

But the thing with the lines you can see... You can do that in the FG's maps too.
You just have to WANT to look for them.
A player wouldn't try to find all the flaws in your game, if you hide them. A developer would find them, because they know where to look. So if you want to see those lines, you're gonna see them.

Trying is the first step to success.
12-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

My method is making REALLY faint billboards that follow a grid, like this:

http://i.imgur.com/Gh9auLC.jpg

That way, when you look by the side, the color "accumulates" and gives it a brighter feeling, but when directly looking from the front it's practically invisible.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
12-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

Threads: 47

I was using a grid pattern as well (I'm more than slightly obsessive compulsive) but after looking at the original A-D.D. maps, I had noticed that they were rather faint, sporadic in placement, position, angles and such. I'd say just plant those puppies at different distances, length and width wise and make sure every single one is at a different angle to really make a solid light beam. If you grid them it's going to be very obvious regardless, well, to anyone who is into the finer details of the map than the story and/or objectives. Just turn off the grid snapping and go wild!!!

-Grind to the Gore-
12-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Find