Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DEAD BACON
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
DEAD BACON

An old man named Hagard makes his way down the old stairs.
He remembers nothing but the name Enoch, And Enoch has left him a note.
Enoch is sorry and Enoch has invited you for dinner in the library cafeteria.
Take your walking stick and please hurry, the children are staring at us!

[Image: 9haR1eU.jpg]
Moar screens
Dead Bacon is the codename for a mod I recently started work on.
It aims to deliver a well told story, about Death, Trust and the good old
"what makes us human". The story draws many parallels to machine for pigs,
and also takes place within the same universe, while still remaining a thing on its own.
It is recommended that one play AAMFP first, but if you're attentive you should still be able to understand.

Goals:
  • To deliver a fresh horror experience that makes you feel vulnerable, while still maintaining a high focus on the story.
  • Puzzles and interactions, that feel meaningful, or challenging enough for the player not to feel handheld.
  • A setting that is both interesting and unnerving to explore

Features:
  • Brilliance.
  • A Walking Stick with a light attached so you can walk the darkness like an old chap!
  • New inventory system that is a midway between TDD and AAMFP
  • Many adjustments to the core, like the character movement
  • Some new assets and entities mixed in with the old to deliver the
    experience
  • yep! there's going to be voice acting
  • about 6-9 maps

The mod has been in production for a little less than a month now. Though progress has still not been up to the speed I wished for, I am feeling confident now that I will be able to finish this.
The project has gone through a lot of pre-production, So I got a good idea of what things are going to be in it and I think its realistic that it will be out in 5-7 months.

How far is the project?(7th Dec.2013)
Currently most of the first map is finished, but there is also need for some more detail here and there. no billboards or particles there yet so the map is a little "dry". I have however not only been mapping but there's also been done a good amount of scripting on the first map and got some core features working which I be able to just reference when needed again in the future. I also got the walking stick working in-game. 4 game ready notes have already been written and 3 of them can be picked up and read in the map already. The most important notes/dialogue of the project has already been planned as well, though there might come some more in between to describe minor parts of the world or close unexpected misunderstandings/confusion in the story.
The mapping is the one thing I would like to go a little faster so that is why I am considering getting a mapper that could do most of it for me so I could focus on the writing, scripting, custom content ,project management and design.

About the thread
This is only the WIP, and as you can see it does not even use the final title just the codename(by codename I mean there absolutely no way its going to be the name don't worry XD).
The purpose of this thread is
1. To build hype in the Frictionalgames forum
2. To get in contact with testers and mappers
3. To post updates letting people know I won't let this die!(at least one weekly update guarantied)
4. To motivate myself by the responsibility to keep getting out progress updates, and release the mod which has been build hype for

When we get close to release there will come a final thread with the actual name and a brief demo. Then shortly after that there will be release.

On criticism
I have the view that saying things like "its not ready","WIP" or "I'm going to fix that later" does no good for the project, and in fact discourages the good criticism as well that you needed. So if there's anything you wish to give feedback on /criticize feel free to do so, you never know if I forgot about it.
----------------------------------------------------------------
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2014, 06:52 PM by WALP.)
12-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Find
ClayPigeon Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Codename: Project Dead Baon IFC WIP Thread

Sounds very unique, I love the walking stick idea!
If you need some models or some help with the maps tell me.
12-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(12-07-2013, 02:37 PM)ClayPigeon Wrote: Sounds very unique, I love the walking stick idea!
Thank you for the offer!. I send you a description of the mapper part when it is(and I am) ready, and then we can discuss if you're still willing to join and if you meet the criteria, and other things.
12-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Find
ClayPigeon Offline

Threads: 13

(12-07-2013, 02:55 PM)The Mug Wrote:
(12-07-2013, 02:37 PM)ClayPigeon Wrote: Sounds very unique, I love the walking stick idea!
Thank you for the offer!. I send you a description of the mapper part when it is(and I am) ready, and then we can discuss if you're still willing to join and if you meet the criteria, and other things.

Alright. I'll keep an eye on my inbox Smile
12-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

UPDATE 01:

Things been going a bit slow but here's whats been done:

-"Secret" awesome Map Section(of the first map) has finished being blocked out and connected to the rest of the map, still needs a bit of furniture and medium sized objects before I would call it alpha ready though.
-Added Awesome puzzle, most of the sound involved in it is complete as well and it is mentionable because it adds quite a lot to it.
-Added custom entities(some even animated) involved in new Puzzle.
-I am in contact with a person that might be interested in doing some music for the mod and I will tell you further later but whether or not he she chooses to join is not final yet and we still have some things to discuss.
-New custom hints added, they are brilliant.

There be more of the updates, but since the thread is all new and stuff I thought I would crank in a not too spoilery screenshot(not of mentioned section):
[Image: tRWlGDG.jpg]
a bit simple yeah, but imagine opening that door and looking down those stairs, and then walking down on your weak wrinkled legs....Old Man.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013, 07:13 PM by WALP.)
12-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Find
daortir Offline

Threads: 9

In my humble opinion, if you want it to look old and weak, you might want to add some decals. It's just my feeling, because yes simple architecture and detailing can be great, but if you wanna give the feeling of something old and weak, maybe find ways to make it look dirty, forgotten, etc.

This is just my feeling, I don't know what you think about it : >

Though there might be decals already, I cannot really see. That's what sucks about screenshots, they never give the real InGame feeling.

12-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(12-11-2013, 07:41 PM)daortir Wrote: In my humble opinion, if you want it to look old and weak, you might want to add some decals. It's just my feeling, because yes simple architecture and detailing can be great, but if you wanna give the feeling of something old and weak, maybe find ways to make it look dirty, forgotten, etc.

This is just my feeling, I don't know what you think about it : >

Though there might be decals already, I cannot really see. That's what sucks about screenshots, they never give the real InGame feeling.
yes,your comment is entirely correct, there is almost no decals anywhere in the map, no billboards and no particles. This is due to the fact that I want it ready for early testing as soon as possible, so I try only to get the general look down. Still do not feel discouraged by this, if there's somewhere you see need for improvement in my screenshots then there's no need to consider that I might have planned to add it later, you never know and its good to have a reminder as well as know that people are noticing this and it is important. So your feedback is still much appreciated.
12-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

I have to say the texture work looks fairly poor and low res, kind of takes me out of it.

Also 90% of the screenshots are pitch black, would be neat to actually see some stuff!
12-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(12-11-2013, 11:24 PM)Traggey Wrote: I have to say the texture work looks fairly poor and low res, kind of takes me out of it.

Also 90% of the screenshots are pitch black, would be neat to actually see some stuff!
What is this texture work you speak of? beyond the bed and the brown recolored coving (which is no less res than AAMFP one was), this is all vanilla TDD/AAMFP assets. So what is this? Did you hack into my computer to look at my textures!?
About dark screenshots I see if I can get some brighter ones up for people with dark monitors tommorrow, should have done so at the beginning since I am aware of this issue but I kinda forgot about so thank you for the reminder.
12-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

[Image: AwsF7SZ.jpg]

Everything seems very flat in this picture, flat and empty, and the colours are very dull.
12-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Find