Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
extremely slow performance..card to blame?
mjf6866 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago extremely slow performance..card to blame?

hello everyone, this is my first post here!

i've been itching to play this game since i first saw videos online, but i never had a machine that was capable of playing it at a framerate that was good enough.

well, i was just given a Dell Optiplex 780 with:

Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0ghz Q9650 CPU
Win7 64bit SP1
6GB DDR3
256MB Nvidia GeForce 7300SE/7200 GS GPU

i know that graphics card is junk, so i ordered a Radeon HD7750 1GB DDR5 card from amazon HOPING that will make this game run smoothly on this system because when i run the demo now, its GOD AWFUL choppy even on low settings.

so could the card i have in it now be the reason for the poor performance? i should see that new 7750 next week, but was hoping to get some feedback from people that have the game. i've been out of the PC gaming loop for a while and Amnesia and Arma2 (for the DayZ mod), and that runs like shit too, are the only reason right now i'm hoping i can get this system to run them smoothly!

thanks for any feedback!
12-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: extremely slow performance..card to blame?

You will definitely see a huge improvement with that graphics card, most probably everything at maximum for Amnesia TDD. Your CPU is a beast performer (for it's time of course but should perform perfectly fine meaning no bottleneck at all), you have plenty of RAM and a solid operating system. If I were you I wouldn't worry at all. Once you get that graphics card you should be ready to game. Personally I would go for the Radeon HD 7770 which has the best value for money option (price/performance ratio) but you should still do ok with the 7750.

EDIT: 4 cores + 12MB L2 cache...damn, that CPU must have been an extreme edition or something back at 2008. Oh and yeah, that graphics card couldn't be any worse for such a system. It's embarrassing really... Tongue
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2013, 11:37 PM by plutomaniac.)
12-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Find
mjf6866 Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: extremely slow performance..card to blame?

(12-09-2013, 11:34 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: You will definitely see a huge improvement with that graphics card, most probably everything at maximum for Amnesia TDD. Your CPU is a beast performer (for it's time of course but should perform perfectly fine meaning no bottleneck at all), you have plenty of RAM and a solid operating system. If I were you I wouldn't worry at all. Once you get that graphics card you should be ready to game. Personally I would go for the Radeon HD 7770 which has the best value for money option (price/performance ratio) but you should still do ok with the 7750.

EDIT: 4 cores + 12MB L2 cache...damn, that CPU must have been an extreme edition or something back at 2008. Oh and yeah, that graphics card couldn't be any worse for such a system. It's embarrassing really... Tongue

yeah, the main reason i went with that 7750 was because it was offered with a very small heat sinc and low profile ready (this is going into a small form factor dell). and that shitty card that came with it was just installed for office use to have dual screens.

cant wait until i can play this game!...and other ones that i missed out on!

thanks for the info!
12-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

My pleasure, have fun playing the game (& others) when you get the card and in case of any Amnesia technical issues don't hesitate to reply to this topic again.
12-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Find
mjf6866 Offline

ive got the forum bookmarked!

thanks again Smile
12-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Find
mjf6866 Offline

well, i popped that card in yesterday and fired up the demo.......WOW..what a difference! silky smooth and with everything on high!

played through the demo and immediately went online and found a new unopened copy of the Dark Descent for $10 on ebay. cant wait to get it.

which leads me to my next question...should i have any problems playing the sequal? how much more advanced is the game engine that might put me out of spec?

thanks
12-15-2013, 11:38 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

It's not that big of a difference and you should be able to play on maximum settings as well would be my guess. The Pigs have some optimization issues which have been already addressed mostly but I would wait for the official update that is coming closer to release. At the moment an earlier beta update can be found here .
12-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Find
mjf6866 Offline

ok, thanks for the info plutomaniac.

another question....i did some searching, but couldnt find anything on a demo for pigs...does one even exist?

thanks again!
12-16-2013, 06:00 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

No, unfortunately Pigs don't have a demo. There shouldn't be any hardware incompatibility when it comes to your PC so I wouldn't worry about it. You may see those optimization issues that tend to happen at better hardware but when the final update is done you won't have to worry about that as well.
12-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Find
mjf6866 Offline

(12-16-2013, 03:57 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: No, unfortunately Pigs don't have a demo. There shouldn't be any hardware incompatibility when it comes to your PC so I wouldn't worry about it. You may see those optimization issues that tend to happen at better hardware but when the final update is done you won't have to worry about that as well.

ok, thanks again for the info!

you've been a big help Smile
12-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Find