Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Amnesia Multiplayer (Cringe as you may.)
DreamScripters Offline

Threads: 4
Lightbulb  Amnesia Multiplayer (Cringe as you may.)

So, by already looking at the title of this thread you're probably already got your opinion on this topic. And most likely it is no, being mainly that horror games have never merged into multiplayer while maintaining the tension and just flat out horror that Amnesia and very few other survival horror games have gave us. And, along with the problem with the atmosphere instantly going away with adding multiplayer, to be realistic (i'm not going as far as to say impossible) it would be incredibly hard to achieve something of this. With a game like Amnesia (And well, with most games.) that doesn't give you complete access to the source code the idea of something of this change to the game seems foolish and undo able.

And to be all out honest, I don't know for 100% if it is even possible given all the possible techniques to tackle something like this. But, to get to why someone like me would even think of doing something like this is because of the following sentences. First off, we all know how awesome and powerful the HPL tools are. They are awesome in every aspect in building your custom stories to even importing and setting up your own custom entities/models. Now, if so to say multiplayer was implemented you could set up your own server with your map and explore it with your friend and much more.

Now, allot of people's problem with the idea of this is that they don't understand how you could script in scares and etc. But, I have to differ because I can see possible ways you can apply scares with even two people in a atmosphere like Amnesia. But, disturbing atmosphere and scares beside I think it would be just cool to play around with something like this. When I make maps allot of times they are not even pointed in the direction of a scary atmosphere. Instead, I actually make funny maps in Amnesia. (Yes, funny maps. Ex custom stories: Dark Room, Madness, Dark Castle, The Small Horse, It's Hurting My Eyes, House of Creep, Gary Dark Secrets, Nintendo Horror Castle, Baldo's Discovery, Silent Hallways, Gary - Snowy Secrets, and My memories hurt) Even though Amnesia is NOT meant for this purpose... it almost seems to amplify the hilarity and awesomeness in it. Tongue

But, another problem with having multiplayer with Amnesia is that the player (Daniel) is simply a cylindrical body. You can't physically see yourself so in multiplayer you couldn't see your friend and your friend couldn't see you unless there was a way to modify Amnesia that the player could have some sort of model to identify you. And, of course there are other problems such as if there is a monster which player will it follow and the list goes on for a few. But I do believe these problems could be possible solved with a little hard work... but it would not be easy in anybodies eye.

I would have actually not wrote this thread if it was not for this one thing. ( JCMP ) Yes, Just Cause 2 Multiplayer. The guys who made it IF i'm correct took the game Just Cause 2 (Which does not have the source code for public use.) and turned it into one hell of a fun multiplayer experience. That basically told me even with a game like Amnesia it still might be possible to implement something like multiplayer. (Btw, if you have JC2 you should totally download the mp and play it Wink ) Even though nobody thought these guys could pull something off like this in the beginning they came back after being out of the everyone's eye for a whole year and posted this. ( We're Back! )

The bottom line at what i'm trying to get at here is that I think it would be an extremely awesome and epic experience to do something like this to Amnesia. I think Amnesia has the tools and the community to take this even a step further with the possible creations to be made with the introduction of multiplayer. Being even so if multiplayer was added the single player part will go nowhere. It will always be there for when you want to have that amazing, submersive, scary, and tense Amnesia experience of why this awesome community is even here today. To share are amazing creations and get constant help on anything.

The last thing I thought I should point out before closing the up. If we did get to the point of if we (Yes, the community.) were going to actually make this happen we would have to get permission first from FG before we could proceed with servers and etc. But it should be easy enough because they are always online ready to reply to your pm. And that's why I love FG too. They're always there to help you with anything. So, I hope you enjoyed reading my reasoning's on why I believe it would be very cool to come together and do something like this! Please leave a reply to this in saying what you think. Smile Thanks you for reading the whole thread! It means allot if even one person reads it! Big Grin

[Image: header.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013, 09:10 AM by DreamScripters.)
12-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Website Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Amnesia Multiplayer (Cringe as you may.)

WITHOUT shutting your whole opinion down...

HPL2 doesn't support multiplayer, therefore, it is impossible to make a multiplayer version. Tongue

Furthermore:
- Amnesia's application does not ever connect to a server to access online multiplayer.
- It would be quite a hassle to get two people to use a keyboard and/or gamepad, either each or by itself.
- As you pointed out, Daniel is in fact, invisible, minus his left hand, and is not programmed for otherwise visibility.
- I wouldn't a large number to jump in on a multiplayer CS, given the methods of attempting.
- And I would rather play Amnesia myself to be immersed myself, not muck around with a/any friend I may want to play with, given immaturity possible when I come around a corner and he would toss a box at me.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013, 10:06 AM by Romulator.)
12-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Find
DreamScripters Offline

(12-22-2013, 10:02 AM)Romulator Wrote: WITHOUT shutting your whole opinion down...

HPL2 doesn't support multiplayer, therefore, it is impossible to make a multiplayer version. Tongue

Furthermore:
- Amnesia's application does not ever connect to a server to access online multiplayer.
- It would be quite a hassle to get two people to use a keyboard and/or gamepad, either each or by itself.
- As you pointed out, Daniel is in fact, invisible, minus his left hand, and is not programmed for otherwise visibility.
- I wouldn't a large number to jump in on a multiplayer CS, given the methods of attempting.
- And I would rather play Amnesia myself to be immersed myself, not muck around with a/any friend I may want to play with, given immaturity possible when I come around a corner and he would toss a box at me.

Thanks for the reply! Means allot that you took some time to read it. I did read what you had to say but this is exactly why I pointed out Just Cause 2 Multiplayer. As far as I know Just Cause 2 is in absolutely no relation to multiplayer game play or servers. And, as I also said the people behind JCMP had NO access to source code. When I played the beta releases of JCMP it came with only a executable at which you ran and you were able to connect to their server. Almost like it was a overlay over the actual game it seemed like? This is what is making me to believe that you can do this with Amnesia. It would just be incredibly hard like I said though. Can you elaborate though if i'm missing anything you said? I just thought that it may be possible using a method similar to the method used to make JCMP. Thanks! Big Grin

Oh, also here's another example of a single player game converted into multplayer: SA-MP

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013, 10:35 AM by DreamScripters.)
12-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Website Find
blueberry Away

Threads: 11

Areyouserious.jpg

[Image: 80912c88643a023617c8c4165f3dad77.png] Gimme a sex~

- Some twat 2014
12-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Like what you say, my opinion is No.

Besides, the scares won't work. Even if the atmosphere is really scary, but the fact that you know a friend is playing with you will destroy nearly everything. Besides, limitations.

- Yes, Daniel is invisible. Except is left hand.
- HPL 2 doesn't support multiplayer.
- As I said, horror breaks down.

But, if you want multiplayer just for fun like you said, then it's fine.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
12-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Find
ZyLogicX Offline

Threads: 24

I have actually been thinking of implementing some sort of 'multiplayer'-aspect into a custom story. You and your friend have 2 different maps, a puzzle for player 1 can only be solved by communicating with player 2.

Concrete:
Player 1 comes to a locked door with a 4-digit code. Player 2 (in another map) has to find a way to help player 1 by exploring his map. Eventually, he finds a note with the code. and vice versa.

It might sound easy, and a lot of trial and error can occur. But I do believe some creative minds could make something brilliant

Beyond the Mountains of Madness [15%]
This forum is dying.
12-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Oh god not this topic AGAIN!

Previous threads have all been closed and I won't mind doing it with this one aswell.
12-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Find
DreamScripters Offline

(12-22-2013, 08:20 PM)Traggey Wrote: Oh god not this topic AGAIN!

Previous threads have all been closed and I won't mind doing it with this one aswell.

Closing this thread sound a little harsh. Unlike the other threads on this topic they just threw out the idea of multiplayer which was obviously going to instantly get people to say NO. If you actually read it I think you might find what i'm saying is thought out and not just slapped on the forums to be looked at. If you haven't actually read it. Please do, at least you can see why I would bring up this preposterous idea.

(12-22-2013, 12:42 PM)Sergeant Crits Wrote: Areyouserious.jpg

seriouse.jpg

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013, 08:40 PM by DreamScripters.)
12-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Surely I've read this before posting.

It's been discussed countless times, there are tons of threads to find on this subject in the archives.

It's not going to happen.

The issue isn't design choises, the issue is that without the source, this will NOT be doable with HPL2.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013, 08:46 PM by Traggey.)
12-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Find
DreamScripters Offline

(12-22-2013, 02:07 PM)ZyLogicX Wrote: I have actually been thinking of implementing some sort of 'multiplayer'-aspect into a custom story. You and your friend have 2 different maps, a puzzle for player 1 can only be solved by communicating with player 2.

Concrete:
Player 1 comes to a locked door with a 4-digit code. Player 2 (in another map) has to find a way to help player 1 by exploring his map. Eventually, he finds a note with the code. and vice versa.

It might sound easy, and a lot of trial and error can occur. But I do believe some creative minds could make something brilliant

I do like your idea allot. Implying Amnesia had multiplayer something of that type of puzzle would be fun to play with your friend. But as always the people shunning this idea of Amnesia merging with multiplayer will out weigh the ones that want it. And its usually the same reason because they don't know how you could create the atmosphere and create scares. And well, you can't. But, if they read my entire idea they would see that's not what i'm aiming for. I'm not aiming for a disturbing and scary atmosphere. Instead, something on the lines of what you said sounds like it would work fantastic with the implementation of multiplayer. Thanks for the reply! Big Grin

12-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Website Find