Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Computer
lothabread Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Computer

i can vouch for the amd radeon 7770 being reliable Big Grin built 3 machines with it and they all handle very well
03-14-2014, 01:32 AM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

(03-13-2014, 11:49 PM)Wooderson Wrote: Not sure if thats true for PC ports Sakari. Might be but I don't know.

There's a new amd techology called "mantle" which should increase the performance on games at least 40% on all amd cards, that's a significant feature when choosing between both manufactors, it's something which nvidia doesn't currenly have.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2014, 07:04 AM by Red.)
03-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

(03-13-2014, 10:10 PM)Sakari Wrote: On gpu side go to amds new r9 series, theyre poweful yet cheap and future games will be most likely be optimized better on amd cause Xbox one and Ps4 use both amd architechture.

No, this is wrong. Just because AMD GCN architecture is used at both current gen computers and consoles, it doesn't mean that ps4/xbox one game ports are optimized for AMD. As far as the console CPU goes, it's now a lot more similar to computers but again not the same thing by a longshot. Also Mantle is not supported on consoles and the main advantage currently is for systems which have slow and low-end cpus. What it does actually is to make the cpu's job easier so it you have a weak one you'll probably see a difference. Aside from that, only one game supports it right now and it requires beta driver with unstable results etc. Also, Direct3D 12 will add the same functionality for low-level hardware control soon which will work for both AMD and Nvidia.

(03-14-2014, 12:04 AM)WIWWM Wrote: That price isn't counting any shipping costs, I'm trying to get it as low as possible whilst retaining any and all power/reliability

I don't recommend such a cpu (you don't need a 6-core, it won't offer you more than a higher clocked 4-core). Without shipping, what is your parts budget?
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2014, 01:36 PM by plutomaniac.)
03-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

Then i think i am gonna stay on nvidia, i'll keep my gtx 680 for now. I though really gonna mess it up by optimizing everything on amd only, i've heard so many rumours about it, bf4 actually is better optimized for amd as far as i know, and that already raised lot of concerns.
But nvidia holds it's own, i guess, they won't just drop off from this war without a fight
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2014, 01:55 PM by Red.)
03-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(03-14-2014, 01:35 PM)plutomaniac Wrote:
(03-13-2014, 10:10 PM)Sakari Wrote: On gpu side go to amds new r9 series, theyre poweful yet cheap and future games will be most likely be optimized better on amd cause Xbox one and Ps4 use both amd architechture.

No, this is wrong. Just because AMD GCN architecture is used at both current gen computers and consoles, it doesn't mean that ps4/xbox one game ports are optimized for AMD. As far as the console CPU goes, it's now a lot more similar to computers but again not the same thing by a longshot. Also Mantle is not supported on consoles and the main advantage currently is for systems which have slow and low-end cpus. What it does actually is to make the cpu's job easier so it you have a weak one you'll probably see a difference. Aside from that, only one game supports it right now and it requires beta driver with unstable results etc. Also, Direct3D 12 will add the same functionality for low-level hardware control soon which will work for both AMD and Nvidia.

(03-14-2014, 12:04 AM)WIWWM Wrote: That price isn't counting any shipping costs, I'm trying to get it as low as possible whilst retaining any and all power/reliability

I don't recommend such a cpu (you don't need a 6-core, it won't offer you more than a higher clocked 4-core). Without shipping, what is your parts budget?

Really just looking for best possible bang for my buck so to speak.

700 US $ including the fact i need a monitor.

I liked the idea of getting a hexacore plus even if had the same speed as a 4 core it would still handle little tasks faster.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2014, 08:24 PM by 7heDubz.)
03-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(03-14-2014, 08:23 PM)WIWWM Wrote: Really just looking for best possible bang for my buck so to speak.

700 US $ including the fact i need a monitor.

I liked the idea of getting a hexacore plus even if had the same speed as a 4 core it would still handle little tasks faster.

Do you do video editing? If not, you won't need many cores. Four is enough for any game these days and the near future. In order to include a monitor at this price point, you need to cut down a few things like the cpu and the psu. Again, for such a system even a 430W one would suffice. Unlike most other parts of your build, the monitor will probably stay the same for quite some years so it's best to invest in a good one now and keep it for the years to come. Don't cheap out on something that you will see every day while working/gaming on your PC.
03-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/desktop-8gb-...&cp=1&lp=2

Thats what im getting. Should be here within 2 weeks. (Obviously budget was tiny)
Got a nice 21.5" monitor too... Thoughts?

Ill be getting a summer job here as well with hopes of upgrading.

03-22-2014, 07:12 AM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

Good thing you're getting a summer job, because you really need to upgrade that gpu
03-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

There's really no point in sharing thoughts now that is coming but I'll share some. Indeed the graphics card is really-really bad. I also don't agree with the cpu, FX (bulldozer) were not good cpus and you could get cheaper Athlon or Phenom 4-cores to be perfectly honest while keeping the same or better performance. If the graphics card is not that important to you I would have gotten an APU (cpu & graphics combined) which would offer a lot better graphics than the Nvidia 610. Also, the psu is not mentioned at all (wattage & brand) something that I don't like as usually it indicates a cheap OEM one. These three things (cpu, gpu, psu) are the ones I disagree with.

My advice on such things is always: Wait some time to have an appropriate budget. Don't buy now with the hope to upgrade later because 1) You will get bad hardware now and the required upgrades might cost a lot more in the future 2) By the time you get an upgrade it will already be "old" since the platform you have is older and not worth your money anymore. My point is, wait to have the budget and go for something more descent rather than buying the cheaper solution now. Upgrading the cheaper solution later on is more expensive than the difference between the current cheaper and the future descent solution.

By the way, I'm not saying you should cancel everything now. I'm just sharing my personal experience and advice for any future purchases you make. Wink
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2014, 02:04 PM by plutomaniac.)
03-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(03-22-2014, 01:55 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: -- -- - -- - -
By the way, I'm not saying you should cancel everything now. I'm just sharing my personal experience and advice for any future purchases you make. Wink

I agree with this philosophy.. Be more careful with your money! Essentially you are paying for this and getting 'bad value' for your money (performance per $). Ultimately you are going to have to 'upgrade everything' again - paying 525$ extra for a decent computer!

I would cancel the order for a refund, if that is possible. Sorry to have to say all of this, best of luck!

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

03-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Find