Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Three Week Map #1
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: The Three Week Map #1

WIWWM,
Spoiler below!
I liked your map. It's pretty well made. (Apart from some lighting/billboard things). Where exactly is this? You begin in a small hall full of hay, but when you continue walking, you enter a more sewer like area. Also, the first door at the right lead to... Not much, actually. Not sure what the point there was.
I did like it, it's well made. I loved the combination of walls, metal, wood. Also the last room with all the tiny waterfalls looked cool.
02-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Yours were all awesome. I mean it, I'll go into detail about why I liked each one in a bit. The three I played were by Kia, OriginalUsername, and WIWWM. Amn, I couldn't get yours to work, and when I looked at it in the editor, all the models were fucked. That's my fault though, not yours- I messed around with the AMFP models and messed up my Amnesia base folder, and anything that uses AMFP models in TDD is messed up. It's totally my fault, I'm sure your map would have been very pretty had I not been an idiot. Smile

Kia-
Spoiler below!
I love this. At first, I was looking around like "oh, it's just a mansionbase room with generic furniture." Then I realized there was a method to your placement and that everything actually made sense where it was. The overturned bed with the clothes on the floor and the mattress on the clothes makes me think the bed actually had a bunch of blankets on it and was violently overturned. That was just one tiny detail that made me go "oh shit that's neat as hell", and when I kept exploring I kept finding little deliberate things that made me sure that I loved it. Please keep telling stories the way you do, by rewarding careful observation.

OriginalUsername-
Spoiler below!
I loved this too. The way you made the pathway the player needs to use to well disguised but still recognizable was a lot of fun to play. I really liked filling in the story of where I was and how I got there, and it really made me crave a beginning and an end. I loved navigating the machine room, the way you made me hop a pipe and get steam in the face was fun. I felt like I was getting my hands dirty (in a good way, as if I were actually exploring an underground sewer) when I played this one, you should definitely keep doing this.

WIWWM-
Spoiler below!
This was just plain well fucking put together. Your grasp of using the Amnesia assets to make interesting architecture is waaaay up there. Your ability to create a flow of rooms is interesting, because I went from a hallway to a rock cavern and I really didn't feel like it was unrealistic- it just felt smooth. I wanted to know what was coming next. And the music- best thing ever. I don't know if I just had really good timing or if you actually scripted it to do it, but the music changing based on what room you enter was just perfect. I loved that so much. You rock for making this.

This challenge was a great idea.

[Image: signature-2.png]
02-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

I haven't played more than Kia's map, but in perspective of all the comments I'm sad that I didn't have any time for this

Trying is the first step to success.
02-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

(02-03-2014, 08:47 AM)Streetboat Wrote: WIWWM-
Spoiler below!
This was just plain well fucking put together. Your grasp of using the Amnesia assets to make interesting architecture is waaaay up there. Your ability to create a flow of rooms is interesting, because I went from a hallway to a rock cavern and I really didn't feel like it was unrealistic- it just felt smooth. I wanted to know what was coming next. And the music- best thing ever. I don't know if I just had really good timing or if you actually scripted it to do it, but the music changing based on what room you enter was just perfect. I loved that so much. You rock for making this.

Just good timing on your part =D

02-04-2014, 12:35 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

It was awesome. The music crescendo'd as soon as I entered the waterfall room, and idk if I imagined this, but my FOV also increased by about 5 degrees, making the room feel even more majestic.

02-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

I should script that....

But it was just your eyes adjusting to it.

Thought on the lighting?

As for architecture, im just so tired of people being lame old and boring...
I refuse to be normal.

02-04-2014, 12:44 AM
Find
daortir Offline

Threads: 9

What's the point of making a mod if it doesn't contains at least one thing that has never been done before, right ?

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2014, 12:50 AM by daortir.)
02-04-2014, 12:50 AM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

These days none. Other then to say "look what i made that noone like and doesnt look good or have any value to the community!"

I plan to turn my thing into a mod bw, and yes of course you'll see more of the tunnels =) Just had a cutoff date (the fourth)

Also explains the left in journals... I really need to cut a bunch out of that and make them seem more... sensible.

Very glad to hear my mapping skills are up to par though, It took me awhile to come up with all those rooms, then to perfect them. I might have some trouble making a whole mod given my HATE for freaking castlebase...

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2014, 02:28 AM by 7heDubz.)
02-04-2014, 02:24 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Yep! I have had to pull out because of other commitments :/ But I'll throw in some screenshots in a sec.

Spoiler below!

[Image: 3496k95.jpg]

[Image: 295a9u8.jpg]

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2014, 08:27 AM by Romulator.)
02-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Aight, I did my thang. I made my entry. Yay! Wanna download it?
[Image: oOaatj9.jpg]
Here's my level!
This level is not optimized at all. It absolutely needs a decent computer to run smoothly. I didn't focus on optimization because it's supposed to be environment-only, so a dip in FPS isn't a big deal, just enjoy the view!
Credits:
Spoiler below!

EntARt3t for creating the sci-fi assets, and Hardarm for converting them. Literally wouldn't have been possible without you!
Penumbra for some textures and models.
Freesound.org for custom sound effects.
The Neighbourhood for the music ("Female Robbery" and "How")
Estranged: Act I soundtrack
And anyone else, if I forgot to mention you, I apologize! After a project, I sometimes have trouble remembering which assets I did and didn't use. I'm pretty sure I got them all though!

[EDIT: Oh shit, also, I totally accidentally page-ninja'd Romulator! Go look at his screenshots on page 11! Sorry bud Smile ]

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2014, 08:39 AM by Streetboat.)
02-04-2014, 08:37 AM
Find