Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic Map and Light Improvements
RaideX Offline

Threads: 33
Basic Map and Light Improvements

Why hello there guys, before i come to my question i'd like to talk a bit about it:

So I've been into the Amnesia scene for a bit over a year now. At first i haven't really had much of an incentive to do anything myself regarding conversions and custom stories (modding) but like 5 months ago I've started my first total conversion. I learned pretty fast and was kind of familiar with scripting so the only barricade i had (and kind of still have) was creating levels. Not really on the creative side but more on the "putting it all together" side. I've had issues here and there and that just didn't satisfy me enough to actually get those levels to the public.

So here i wanted to simply ask for advice for lighting rooms and some basic mapping help that not everyone may know. Though my main problems is getting levels to actually feel realistic i also want to improve on the basic side of things, so everything is appreciated really.

Please note that i'm not a beginner asking for help but an intermediate wanting to get his work on a high to very high level.
On that topic i really have to say that i like working months and months just to get one perfect map going and i often dislike work that is done in weeks because most of those releases just have a lower quality standard. 

I really hope this wall of text gets some attention and i hope people are willing to help me out a bit. To get this to the point I've summed up some points that i'd like to get answered.

• How to create realistic lights and how do i put them all together?
  • When to use Spot-, Point- and Boxlights?
  • How to use get realistic levels done overall

I'll add some screenshots of my current mod that I've been working on for quite some time now later on. I've arranged a quick album, you can take a look at it here

Thanks for reading. (Excuse me for the bad usage of english)

If you don't draw first, you don't get to draw at all... -The False Shepherd
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2014, 04:38 PM by RaideX.)
01-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Find
Wapez Offline

Threads: 37
RE: Basic Map and Light Improvements

I don't have time to write a long tutorial now, but some basic thinking is this:
 - SpotLights are used to create either strong light casted in a specific direction, or to cast shadows.
 - PointLights are used to simulate light bouncing off of objects and planes.
 - BoxLights are used to raise the overall brightness in an area, to prevent dark areas being COMPLETELY black, and to affect the other lights in the map by a small and faint value.

Founder & Legally Accountable Publisher of Red Line Games.
Environment & Gameplay Designer and Scripter.
http://moddb.com/mods/in-lucys-eyes
01-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

I'm not an expert, not even close, but what helped me a lot is just using common sense. Does this room have a purpose? Why would they need another corridor here? Where did this giant rock come from? Why did this sound come out of this wall? 
Just those kind of questions. Including particle systems, of course. If you're in a sewer, add some fog/dust/flies/etc. Make the walls dirty, add some loose rocks, just make it like a sewer.
Same goes for a mansion. Why would they need a table here? Does it have a purpose? 
For lighting: Just look around in your room. Turn off the lights, close your curtains and look around how the light still spreads in your room. Do you see those really strong and bright light rays coming through the curtains? Unless you're making a story in some kind of alternate universe, everything should match the real world. (With some creative alterations, of course)
Just think about that, and good luck
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 06:28 PM by OriginalUsername.)
01-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Find
RaideX Offline

Thanks for the good answers so far.

I'm (in my opinion at least) a bit more interested in the technical side on those things. Like: How to actually make it work in the game.

Because when i try to light a room, it often ends in either too small pointlights that shine through walls or too small ones that leave badly faded circles on floor/ceiling. When i try to use spotlights instead i end up with too narrow lighting that really looks unrealistic. Is there some trick to it?

I thought about a little darker pointlight around the original one to create some sort of "fade" effect.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 10:06 PM by RaideX.)
01-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

This should help you quite a bit:http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...tutorial_2
01-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(01-15-2014, 10:06 PM)RaideX Wrote: Thanks for the good answers so far.

I'm (in my opinion at least) a bit more interested in the technical side on those things. Like: How to actually make it work in the game.

Because when i try to light a room, it often ends in either too small pointlights that shine through walls or too small ones that leave badly faded circles on floor/ceiling. When i try to use spotlights instead i end up with too narrow lighting that really looks unrealistic. Is there some trick to it?

I thought about a little darker pointlight around the original one to create some sort of "fade" effect.
I use spotlights as often as I can.
Shadows makes it more realistic IMO.
Spotlights are also able to fade, but anyway, always try to keep your colors low.

Trying is the first step to success.
01-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

If you want, give us a link to your maps. Some of us can change them and give pointers that will help answer your questions.
01-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(01-16-2014, 11:52 AM)FlawlessHair Wrote: I use spotlights as often as I can.
Shadows makes it more realistic IMO.
Spotlights are also able to fade, but anyway, always try to keep your colors low.

It's a good idea for realism, however don't have too many shadows :3 Can screw around with performance on low end computers and too many shadows off one object is a bit unnecessary. A well lit room however, even though it will have shadows, will be somewhat covered up by the light in the room itself unless it is quite dark Smile

Think about the Archives level in Amnesia. It's a fairly well lit area, therefore there are limited shadows given off throughout, however in somewhere like the Wine Cellar, there would be a lot more shadowing used because it is not as bright.

Not arguing or anything, but just giving what I think.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
01-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Find
RaideX Offline

(01-16-2014, 02:49 PM)Rapture Wrote: If you want, give us a link to your maps. Some of us can change them and give pointers that will help answer your questions.
I don't really think sharing my map would change anything. I'm not really keen on anyone else editing my maps and then i should just look what he/she has done. 

I've uploaded a few screenshots from my map above if that is of any help.

01-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

[youtube]VZXJ4cRYcvA[/youtube]

I talk a little and show examples from my work. Might be helpful. Lighting can be approached and executed differently, it's about finding a style you like. Anyway.. Questions - (music might be too loud at points, my english might be bad etc..) I'll happily answer

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

01-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Find