Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Hearthstone
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
Hearthstone

Hey,

I recently entered the hearthstone closed beta and now it's in open beta, I figured why not ask if someone else is playing here? We could all play together and be one happy family, or whatever.
I just wanted to play against some of you guys. Thought it would be fun.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2014, 09:52 PM by OriginalUsername.)
01-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Find
Wapez Offline

Threads: 37
RE: Hearthstone

I play, and I'm pretty good. Got 8 wins in an arena run the other day.

Founder & Legally Accountable Publisher of Red Line Games.
Environment & Gameplay Designer and Scripter.
http://moddb.com/mods/in-lucys-eyes
01-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

I just started myself, still in closed beta here in the EU.
01-23-2014, 01:29 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Yeah I'm in Europe too, didn't know they had different servers.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014, 04:50 PM by OriginalUsername.)
01-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

The open beta has reached europe. Who's going to pick it up?
01-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I tried it and have played it over the last few days.

I've played magic before and then I stopped after a few decks because I realized that it's all pay to win and gamble, so yeah. Hearthstone, you don't need to pay to get new cards but the ruleset is really weird.

From what I've experienced, you can't set up a tactic properly due to the minion attack rules, so the only real way to effectively win the game is to squeeze as many minions as you can onto the board and rush the enemy health to 0. Also, the game is about far too much luck to be enjoyable, even more so than magic, strangely enough.

What I really, really don't like about hearthstone is that the minions can attack whatever they want whenever they want (except for taunt). Hearthstone is all about taunts, taunts make it so that the enemy can only attack the minions that have taunt, it's like magic in reverse and it works really bad.

The other thing that I don't like is that the game consist of 90% creatures and 9% spells and 1% items. The game basically lack depth, it's mindless dice rolling to it's fullest and frankly, I'm surprised so many people like the game. The only good thing about it is it's presentation, other than that it's a shallow card game that rely more on its visuals than gameplay.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2014, 06:28 PM by eliasfrost.)
01-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Find
Wapez Offline

Threads: 37

(01-27-2014, 06:26 PM)Naked? No Wrote:
Spoiler below!

I've played magic before and then I stopped after a few decks because I realized that it's all pay to win and gamble, so yeah. Hearthstone, you don't need to pay to get new cards but the ruleset is really weird.

From what I've experienced, you can't set up a tactic properly due to the minion attack rules, so the only real way to effectively win the game is to squeeze as many minions as you can onto the board and rush the enemy health to 0. Also, the game is about far too much luck to be enjoyable, even more so than magic, strangely enough.

What I really, really don't like about hearthstone is that the minions can attack whatever they want whenever they want (except for taunt). Hearthstone is all about taunts, taunts make it so that the enemy can only attack the minions that have taunt, it's like magic in reverse and it works really bad.

The other thing that I don't like is that the game consist of 90% creatures and 9% spells and 1% items. The game basically lack depth, it's mindless dice rolling to it's fullest and frankly, I'm surprised so many people like the game. The only good thing about it is it's presentation, other than that it's a shallow card game that rely more on its visuals than gameplay.

Oh boy, you got it all wrong. There's no problem with the attack rules in Hearthstone. It's simple, you attack whatever you want, but if you play a minion it will have to wait a turn before attacking, unless it has the "charge" mechanic. The only exception to this is, as you mentioned, an enemy minion has "taunt". This forces your minions to attack the "taunt" minion before attacking anything else. However, this is not OP at all. Actually, taunt creatures are rarely used in high-end games, as they are considered straight up bad.

Why? Well, except for having considerably worse stats than other cards, they are easily countered. Silences, nuke spells and high damage minions exists in high numbers. Taunts are easily dealt with using the right cards.

On the other hand, unless there's some super important minion that your enemy is protecting, you're generally going to want to kill that minion anyway, with or without taunt. The game is most of the time about board control, meaning that you have more minion on the opponent when it's his time to attack, or in other words, that you can attack him first.

I know that it's few spells in the game, but that's how it's supposed to be. Spells have a special purpose in the game, doing something extraordinary instead of summoning an everlasting minion. In hearthstone there's tons of spells, filling most of the possible purposes that spells could have without being too good or too bad. However, there's also an incredibly big amount of minions, which are almost always well thought out to work in an exciting way with the game's mechanics, as well as other cards. The number of percentages of cards that are spells therefore means nothing. There's not too few spells, there's just a lot of other cards.

Besides this, every deck that is used in a match consists of 30 cards, and you can put as many spells, minions or whatever in there. Your deck could be consisting of more spells than minions if you wanted it that way. The actual matches aren't affected in the slightest way buy minions being more usual than spells in the entire database.

To end this block of text, I'll also point out that Hearthstone indeed is a card game, and there's not one card game that isn't based on luck to some extent. But luck is a minor factor in Hearthstone, when adding the other factors such as the cards in your deck, the timing to play them and the general skill of the player. It may seem like luck when your mage opponent suddenly wipes your entire board at round 7 with a Flamestrike. But by being a good player you will take the chance of this happening into consideration as you play your cards the previous turn or turns, and counter his plays most of the time. The luck is there for everyone, and playing around it is a part of the game, which makes it even funnier.

After all, it's a great game that seems hard and annoying at first, but getting to know it and it's card that you keep discovering during your journey changes most people's view on that and brings this fun, challenging and intense game into the light.

I hope that this helps y'all.

Founder & Legally Accountable Publisher of Red Line Games.
Environment & Gameplay Designer and Scripter.
http://moddb.com/mods/in-lucys-eyes
01-27-2014, 07:18 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I've fairly recently started playing this game. It's loads of fun!

As 'Naked? No' points out there is RNG involved in this game, depending on what type of cards you get/your opponents gets. I wouldn't say that it is purely luck-based. It may be shallow compared to other cardgames out on the market (I haven't tried those), but there is still a lot of tactics involved in this game!

Constructing your own deck is a lot of that. Building a deck which can counter certain builds by other classes, has synergy (a diversity among minions can allow several ways to have them work in tandem with each other), a mana-curve cost which allows you to play in most cases (IMO having a lot of mid-tier/lower cards allow you to have a higher chance of constantly playing something) and so forth can be a lot of fun (theorycrafting!). A well constructed deck will have a much higher winrate than the default deck.

There is also the gameplay to consider. Knowing your enemy; at what mana can he play his AOE? Disables? How much damage do they do? Does this class have a lot of buffs? Can it heal really well? Do I want a lot of minions or a few really strong? For example; having board-control versus a priest is preferred as he can buff the health and damage of his minion(s) quite strongly. Versus a rogue/warrior rushing the hero can work better, as the hero cannot heal itself or strongly buff his minions. Taunt can be countered with silence or damaging spells.

I'm not sure how much you played 'Naked? No', but there are more interesting minion cards which you can craft. Try disenchanting a card and then look through the possible cards you can make. Just guessing from our earlier discussion in the league of legends thread I don't believe that you will enjoy this game though.

I've made it to rank 15 in pvp. Dropped back a little today.. Smile I'm having trouble in Arena play, basically I just play a lot of warlock. Made a run of like 5-6 wins with a mage though (those disables!). Still learning stuff and I find theorycrafting quite fun with this game! Can definately recommend if you're thinking about trying it. The tutorial and first couple of plays can be a little tedious - as there will be a lot of losses.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2014, 07:24 PM by Acies.)
01-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(01-27-2014, 07:18 PM)Wapez Wrote:
(01-27-2014, 06:26 PM)Naked? No Wrote:
Spoiler below!

Oh boy, you got it all wrong. There's no problem with the attack rules in Hearthstone. It's simple, you attack whatever you want, but if you play a minion it will have to wait a turn before attacking, unless it has the "charge" mechanic. The only exception to this is, as you mentioned, an enemy minion has "taunt". This forces your minions to attack the "taunt" minion before attacking anything else. However, this is not OP at all. Actually, taunt creatures are rarely used in high-end games, as they are considered straight up bad.

Why? Well, except for having considerably worse stats than other cards, they are easily countered. Silences, nuke spells and high damage minions exists in high numbers. Taunts are easily dealt with using the right cards.

On the other hand, unless there's some super important minion that your enemy is protecting, you're generally going to want to kill that minion anyway, with or without taunt. The game is most of the time about board control, meaning that you have more minion on the opponent when it's his time to attack, or in other words, that you can attack him first.

I know that it's few spells in the game, but that's how it's supposed to be. Spells have a special purpose in the game, doing something extraordinary instead of summoning an everlasting minion. In hearthstone there's tons of spells, filling most of the possible purposes that spells could have without being too good or too bad. However, there's also an incredibly big amount of minions, which are almost always well thought out to work in an exciting way with the game's mechanics, as well as other cards. The number of percentages of cards that are spells therefore means nothing. There's not too few spells, there's just a lot of other cards.

Besides this, every deck that is used in a match consists of 30 cards, and you can put as many spells, minions or whatever in there. Your deck could be consisting of more spells than minions if you wanted it that way. The actual matches aren't affected in the slightest way buy minions being more usual than spells in the entire database.

To end this block of text, I'll also point out that Hearthstone indeed is a card game, and there's not one card game that isn't based on luck to some extent. But luck is a minor factor in Hearthstone, when adding the other factors such as the cards in your deck, the timing to play them and the general skill of the player. It may seem like luck when your mage opponent suddenly wipes your entire board at round 7 with a Flamestrike. But by being a good player you will take the chance of this happening into consideration as you play your cards the previous turn or turns, and counter his plays most of the time. The luck is there for everyone, and playing around it is a part of the game, which makes it even funnier.

After all, it's a great game that seems hard and annoying at first, but getting to know it and it's card that you keep discovering during your journey changes most people's view on that and brings this fun, challenging and intense game into the light.

I hope that this helps y'all.

I have a hard time understanding how my opinion on the game can be "wrong" but I hear ya, I still don't agree. I think I'm way too biased from playing Magic, which is by far superior to Hearthstone IMO.

I'd recommend people to get MTG 14 or Magic Online, it's much more developed (it's been around for a couple of decades) and it's much more varied and interesting.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2014, 07:45 PM by eliasfrost.)
01-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Find