Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Latest work: Protesters vs Apes
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
Video  Latest work: Protesters vs Apes

My latest work in real life. How do you like it? Story, editing, graphics, sound and music? And better to watch it fullscreen as long as it is somehow short movie. And by the way the whole! budget is only 4000$ for all and everything from scenario to final render, including CG.

What is this all about - you simply can read the description of the video. If shortly it's kinda activity on human rights in Russia, you can read a bit more here http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/ju...ial-begins. It's an old link, but quite informational.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2014, 04:56 PM by Alex Ros.)
01-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Website Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: Latest work: Protesters vs Apes

It's pretty good. Here are just a few things I noticed, like the soldiers. It just feels to me like you put a bunch of people with gorilla masks on in soldier suits. You might wanted to give them more monkey-like expressions. Bent back, the way they hold their arms, etc. I understand they're supposed to be human-like, but it would've been more interesting if you'd have something crossover like that. The streets also felt a bit empty, like there were 100 gorillas vs 50 people or something. This did change later in the video, but the start felt really empty.
I understand 4000 dollar is a small budget to work with, and I know it's impossible to get a street full of people. But these we're just some things I noticed. Overall, it's pretty impressive.

Edit: I just noticed this, are those real people with gorilla faces copied on their faces? If that's true, ignore my comments.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2014, 05:55 PM by OriginalUsername.)
01-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
Shocked  RE: Latest work: Protesters vs Apes

(01-29-2014, 05:52 PM)OriginalUsername Wrote: ...Edit: I just noticed this, are those real people with gorilla faces copied on their faces? If that's true, ignore my comments.
Yup. It was the task itself to use strictly real documentary footages shot at that day, May 6 2012. I'd confess it was quite hard to work with such videomaterials, simply because they were not presupposed for CG, camera is too shaky, poor quality resolution, etc. Tracking was a pain in the ass in particular (mocha Pro V3). So, yes, all people with apes faces are real OMON police men (russian police special forces) and we had to track all the real movements of their hands and faces, moreover we had to make 3D glasses for helmets and copy all head-helmets movements... well, long boring technical story.

P.S. I am not activist or protester by the way. I do care what is happening with my country. And I do have, of course, my own opinion what is good or bad for my country. But I am not crazy one revolutioner )))
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2014, 06:26 PM by Alex Ros.)
01-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Website Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Latest work: Protesters vs Apes

As a fellow film maker, I understand the limitations of having such a small budget ($4000 is next to nothing). But from what I saw, this short was quite impressive. Basing my opinion off the budget and my own experience, this really was well done. So great job.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
01-30-2014, 12:00 AM
Website Find