Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Job Hunt
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
Job Hunt

Anyone here have experience with searching for jobs?

I applied to about 27 tech companies for summer intern positions but so far I've only received one interview (and I've yet to hear from that company). My resume isn't too impressive, as my only experiences include game modding and first year uni CS courses.

What are your strategies for job searching? Is 25+ companies enough? I do have connections, but none to jobs relevant to the degree I'm studying for (computer science).

[Image: p229xcq]
02-12-2014, 12:18 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Job Hunt

Not to discourage you but here in Sweden you can apply for 50+ without getting any worthwhile interview. UNLESS you actually call them or go to their office/building. Show that you are there, it's unclear from your post but if you've only applied through e-mail chances are you won't find anything for quite some time unless you're really lucky.

If you have the ability to go to their address or call them, chances are they will remember you and perhaps you'll get an interview. Talking from experience myself, I've never landed an interview by simply applying, it's amazing how much a little presence can be worth it in the end.

Do you have a portfolio? Any finished mods that you can show off? Do you have any actual experience? Because from what I can tell, having a familiarity with keeping schedules and taking orders (in lack of a better word), you know, normal job stuff - can boost your chances.

Also, never search a few and call it quits. There's no end to how many jobs you can search and waiting for replies from a few instead of looking for other jobs (that you may or may not get) is a lot better, because it increases your chances.

Do you have friends or acquaintances in the field? Their friends? There's a big web of people around you and once you get that ball rolling you may never know what you might find. Facebook?

If you're still studying you might want to check with your teachers if they know someone that may be interested in interns (or if you're lucky a job).

The key is to think outside the box but most importantly: contacts, contacts, contacts. I can't stress it enough. If you get an intern position, take advantage of it as much as you can, get to know the people, ask what they do and if you're lucky enough you might get something else through a person you met during your period as an intern.

Also a key thing to remember is that once you get a job, your chances of getting another one is immense. A little bit of work experience is crucial to get yourself going.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2014, 01:50 AM by eliasfrost.)
02-12-2014, 01:48 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Show up in person to apply unless explicitly stated otherwise. Treat it like a full time job, apply everywhere you see.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
02-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

When it was time for my schoolmates and me to apply for internships it was said that 75 + is good, but keep applying as much as you can!
02-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Also, your first job isn't likely to be one you like. I want to be a level designer, but I currently work in fast food. Gotta make the money before you get the dream.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2014, 12:24 AM by Ghieri.)
02-13-2014, 12:24 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(02-13-2014, 12:24 AM)Ghieri Wrote: Also, your first job isn't likely to be one you like. I want to be a level designer, but I currently work in fast food. Gotta make the money before you get the dream.

Yup. I'm pretty far removed from where I'd like to be, and my experience is unfortunately extremely common. A lot times it really is a crap shoot. You can tilt the odds in your favor by applying not only in the exact position you want, but by working your way out into the periphery.
Make sure that your e-mail address isn't the one you signed up for when you were twelve (johndoe@email.com looks a lot better than omgbootyboi@email.com).
Call backs are extremely important, but only one, two at the very most.
Most places have strictly online applications these days, but be sure it to visit them if you can.
Consider the position and specific company you're applying for when answering questions both on the application and at the interview.

Hope these help, good luck!

02-13-2014, 03:41 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

I'm actually applying through this special website operated by my university which provides a database of intern positions across the continent (but mostly in my country, Canada). The advantage is that every interview I get through this website will be on-campus, meaning I don't need to travel anywhere. Disadvantage, of course, is the lack of me visiting these companies and talking to the employers. The competition is also insane, as there are practically thousands of students using this database and thus applying to the same jobs. Game development interns are predictably popular and making Amnesia mods clearly isn't a way for me to stand out.

I may need to start applying off-campus. As a university student, my mobility is highly limited, though.

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2014, 04:22 AM by Froge.)
02-13-2014, 03:58 AM
Find