Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra on OS X
Shoe Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Penumbra on OS X

Hi,

I recently reinstalled the Penumbra series on my computer through Steam. The game downloaded and installed fine. Whenever I start any one of the three games in the series the game loads, the text intro plays, the game goes through the developer splash screen progression, and when I end up at each game's title screen there isn't any text displayed. I end up stuck looking at each game's title screen, listening to each game's (fantastic) intro music, with nothing to click on to allow me to play the game.

My computer is running Maverick's 10.9.1

2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB DDR3 Ram
Intel HD Graphics/Nvidia GeForce GT 330M

As far as I can tell all of my software and drivers are up to date.
My System Profiler is saying I'm running off the Intel HD Graphics, but I think the computer automatically switches to the GeForce GT 330 under heavy GPU demand. (?) I have tried deleting/re-downloading each game.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.
02-12-2014, 04:33 AM
Find
Shoe Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Penumbra on OS X

Also, I should say that I understand FG is in the process of patching Amnesia TDD and AMFP for OS X Mavericks, as well as working on a new project, so if Penumbra needs further patching as well then it will take time. But I couldn't find the specific issue I'm having anywhere else on this forum, and wanted to bring it to FG's attention in case they hadn't seen it before.

Thanks again!
02-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

(02-12-2014, 01:51 PM)Shoe Wrote: Also, I should say that I understand FG is in the process of patching Amnesia TDD and AMFP for OS X Mavericks, as well as working on a new project, so if Penumbra needs further patching as well then it will take time. But I couldn't find the specific issue I'm having anywhere else on this forum, and wanted to bring it to FG's attention in case they hadn't seen it before.

Thanks again!

This is quite a strange issue.. What specific mac hardware are you using? The issue itself seems quite odd. And the way Mac OS X's dual graphics support works is that as soon as any application creates an OpenGL context it switches to the discrete graphics. so it's not based on GPU demand at all.. An application CAN, however, explicitly state that it supports both/dynamic switching. But games don't bother with that as it's more challenging to programSmile (e.g. having the graphics card switch while your application is running).

A few things for you to do. Can you make sure you have all the latest updates applied? Also cold-reboot the entire computer. (that is completely power it off and back on again)
Also can you install a piece of software called gfxCardStatus ( http://gfx.io/ ). this software will allow you to FORCE applications to use either the integrated or the discreet card.. Try running penumbra in both modes and report back.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
02-18-2014, 03:54 AM
Website Find
Unregistered

I disabled the community button (Shift+ tab) in steam and that allowed me to finally start playing the game.
08-31-2014, 03:56 AM