Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Penumbra Apocalypse[Cancelled]
MsHannerBananer Offline

Threads: 34
RE: Penumbra Apocalypse[WIP]

If you're not very good at mapping, I'd suggest finding someone to help you out.

The mapping needs work. Whether you sit down to watch tutorials or have someone help you, it needs to be fixed. I watched the video when you're walking through the snow tunnel. As opposed to focusing on scripting, focus first and for-most on the map and its details. Walking through a triangle of snow is not only geography impossible (unless we've managed to develop triangle heat tools that allow us to carve huge triangles into whatever geography we want to under my nose), but it's not very appealing to the eye. Nature is unpredictable, even though we as humans thrive on a sense of predictability in order to stay safe, that doesn't mean predictable nature is interesting. Try making the snow cave a rock cave with a snow floor, or maybe see if there's a way for you to make the walls snow without making them perfectly straight planes.

I like what you did with the computer. Looks like when it's interacted with, you teleport the player to a different spot, however the dialogue would be better with audio, and the subtitles on the bottom so people can actually read them. If you aren't able or don't want to do audio, you can still make the subtitles on the bottom so they can be read.

Also, I've gone through a few pages of this thread and it seems like you're more interested in the story (unless I read wrong) yet you have countless grammatical errors. I understand just writing what you can for speed and testing purposes, but if you're going to focus on story, then maybe a little more care with the grammar couldn't hurt?

I see that you want to release it in May. That's almost 3 months away. I don't know how long your custom story will be, or when exactly you started making it, but any decent custom story shouldn't take 3 months to make, unless you have a team of 50 working on it. Big Grin Just sayin'. This is your creation! It's your time to stretch and mold your creative juices, so do it right! I've been working on my TC for MONTHS and I STILL don't have a definitive release date! Granted, my project may be bigger than yours, however, that's no excuse for you NOT to put your heart and soul into this! You already seem to have gone to extra lengths to edit some entities like the spider and scripting it hatching from the egg, but make your environment unique to move around in! If you want to bring back Penumbra in a new and interesting way, then go out with a BOOM and do what you can to make it the BEST BRING BACK EVAR!!!

Sorry for this long response, but you seemed so hyped about this, and I know how that is, especially with everybody being critical. The story, despite it's need for a little more back story and intricacy, has potential, so the custom story has potential. Go the extra mile! Take a few extra months! Do your best and utilize what tools you've access to on the forums! Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2014, 10:54 AM by MsHannerBananer.)
03-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-08-2014, 10:53 AM)HannahDJA Wrote: If you're not very good at mapping, I'd suggest finding someone to help you out.

The mapping needs work. Whether you sit down to watch tutorials or have someone help you, it needs to be fixed. I watched the video when you're walking through the snow tunnel. As opposed to focusing on scripting, focus first and for-most on the map and its details. Walking through a triangle of snow is not only geography impossible (unless we've managed to develop triangle heat tools that allow us to carve huge triangles into whatever geography we want to under my nose), but it's not very appealing to the eye. Nature is unpredictable, even though we as humans thrive on a sense of predictability in order to stay safe, that doesn't mean predictable nature is interesting. Try making the snow cave a rock cave with a snow floor, or maybe see if there's a way for you to make the walls snow without making them perfectly straight planes.

I like what you did with the computer. Looks like when it's interacted with, you teleport the player to a different spot, however the dialogue would be better with audio, and the subtitles on the bottom so people can actually read them. If you aren't able or don't want to do audio, you can still make the subtitles on the bottom so they can be read.

Also, I've gone through a few pages of this thread and it seems like you're more interested in the story (unless I read wrong) yet you have countless grammatical errors. I understand just writing what you can for speed and testing purposes, but if you're going to focus on story, then maybe a little more care with the grammar couldn't hurt?

I see that you want to release it in May. That's almost 3 months away. I don't know how long your custom story will be, or when exactly you started making it, but any decent custom story shouldn't take 3 months to make, unless you have a team of 50 working on it. Big Grin Just sayin'. This is your creation! It's your time to stretch and mold your creative juices, so do it right! I've been working on my TC for MONTHS and I STILL don't have a definitive release date! Granted, my project may be bigger than yours, however, that's no excuse for you NOT to put your heart and soul into this! You already seem to have gone to extra lengths to edit some entities like the spider and scripting it hatching from the egg, but make your environment unique to move around in! If you want to bring back Penumbra in a new and interesting way, then go out with a BOOM and do what you can to make it the BEST BRING BACK EVAR!!!

Sorry for this long response, but you seemed so hyped about this, and I know how that is, especially with everybody being critical. The story, despite it's need for a little more back story and intricacy, has potential, so the custom story has potential. Go the extra mile! Take a few extra months! Do your best and utilize what tools you've access to on the forums! Big Grin

I agree with you. The outdoor parts aren't really possible and it looks boring.

Btw, it'll be better to delay your CS numerous times rather than making it looked rushed or something. Take your time. Slow down.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Find
Radical Batz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Just what HanahDJ, HsannhDJA,HannnahDJ, HannahDJA said!!!

GOD I can't spell your name right, sorry :/

Just kidding XD

You can't just make white planes and call it a snow cave!

You must instead make another cave since it might not work out to make a snow cave, and no you don't really need to tell something to help you out with the map detailing or if you want.

The best way is to open your imagination!

That's what happened to me before, I was just doing empty rooms that made no sense, but after playing other custom stories and seeing all the maps and stuff, then I opened my own imagination and made my own maps! to make good looking levels just like mine or anybody else, you mostly want to use decals, and lots of furniture, but remember the level must make sense. and yes slow down and be creative, don't be hyped and be fast! I know that feeling, but if you want to make well made maps, you must be slow and creative, got that? Big Grin

These are pictures from my levels, the ones that you see are just rooms from different levels!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/4q685d...images.zip
my level images might help you out into map detailing, I hope Smile
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2014, 01:25 PM by Radical Batz.)
03-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(03-08-2014, 01:24 PM)Badcat5550 Wrote: Just what HanahDJ, HsannhDJA,HannnahDJ, HannahDJA said!!!

Just kidding XD

You must instead make another cave since it might not work out to make a snow cave, and no you don't really need to tell something to help you out with the map detailing or if you want.

That's what happened to me before, I was just doing empty rooms that made no sense, but after playing other custom stories and seeing all the maps and stuff, then I opened my own imagination and made my own maps! to make good looking levels just like mine or anybody else, you mostly want to use decals, and lots of furniture, but remember the level must make sense. and yes slow down and be creative, don't be hyped and be fast! I know that feeling, but if you want to make well made maps, you must be slow and creative, got that? Big Grin

These are pictures from my levels, the ones that you see are just rooms from different levels!

"GOD I can't spell your name right, sorry :/"

Are you serious? You can copy paste his username.
03-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(03-08-2014, 05:22 PM)Lazzer Wrote:
(03-08-2014, 01:24 PM)Badcat5550 Wrote: Just what HanahDJ, HsannhDJA,HannnahDJ, HannahDJA said!!!

Just kidding XD

"GOD I can't spell your name right, sorry :/"

Are you serious? You can copy paste his username.
The answer to this question lies below the statement you were asking him about.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
03-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Find
RedKnight Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

It comes from ''mod of the year'' comments to the ''story with bad mapping and scripting'' xD

03-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Find
Radical Batz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

It's a Joke XD I knew his name already but I just wanted to be funny, you don't take a joke?
03-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Find
RedKnight Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(03-08-2014, 06:41 PM)Badcat5550 Wrote: It's a Joke XD I knew his name already but I just wanted to be funny, you don't take a joke?

Oh i didn't notice, sorry xD

03-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

You have lot to improve,but don't take it too hard, it's meant to grow your skills. I wish good luck with your work, and motivation! Your work isn't the worst i've seen here, far from it. but needs more time.
You've the potential to be great modder if you wish!
03-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Find
SSEAlexander Offline

Threads: 26

Hmmm i dont know if i will cancel the mod Sad

some peoples are commenting it baddly. So,the mod could be cancelled. It has many crashes and other things....Script`s arent too good...The only good things i done is that,i converted worm and spiders from Penumbra.

Currently working on:
Worm Chase Map (With functional penumbra worm nest buttons to close door)
Currently Converted:
Buttons (For worm nest chase)
Penumbra Hammer model for lantern (Will not be used in game.)

Converting soon:
Com Radio

Upcoming Characters:

Red (Overture)
Amabel (Black Plague)
David (Custom)
Marshal(Custom)

Upcoming Monsters:
Rex AKA.Gigantic Spider (possiblity to make: 40%)
Godzilla AKA Giant japanese monster from 1991-2004 year.(possiblity to make: 10%)

Upcoming Scripts:

Kill Spiders

(When grabbable weapon colides with spider,It will deactivate it.)

Custcenes

(Disabling player for some time and making him to look at something.)

That`s all i need to tell. Cool Alpha 0.6a Will be possibly Public release.
(If People will like it) Cause , i dont know if im good modder anyways.

If u wanna help me make the mod,Tell me,How can i open .dae in Maya and export it to amnesia.
Thank you.

Just kidding XD

Huhh? These are SNOW Textures! These are not Planes! Huh? You should look closely to it... Huh
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2014, 10:08 PM by SSEAlexander.)
03-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Find