Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Genders in Gaming Target Audiences.
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Genders in Gaming Target Audiences.

Hello everyone! As you know, we commonly go on and ramble about various topics on this section of the forum.

As my time on the internet has gone on, I have noticed that as I have grown older, either I am seeing more or am just in an environment of similar interests, but I feel I am coming across more females in the field of video gaming. Not that it affects me much because I'm happy to engage in multiplayer games with anybody, so long as I am not abused.

But it got me thinking, while I can assume that companies whenever they release video games consider their target audience, unless it is something that sounds like the typical female child's game (Imagine: series, Bratz), do they take gender into account? While I'm sure FrictionalGames' design brief had a spot in it somewhere saying "...a horror-based first person perspective interactive game in which leaves the player on their toes, fearful and somewhat anxious...", would FG consider that while the market of horror may appeal more to males in gaming, did they think of females too?

Did Infinity Ward/Treyarch consider that while the recurring first person shooter does appeal to the younger generation males, plus the older generation (~30 years old) males, do they particularily aim to make the game seem unisex or is it just something that some girls find to be interesting?

Basically the question is:
Are gaming companies heavily determined on striking the male target audience because it is stereotypically dominant, or do females in gaming also influence how games are produced, developed, designed and perhaps released?

Don't be sexist if it can be avoided.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
04-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences.

Pretty obvious isn't it?

With any product it is essential you put a lot of thought into target audience.

[Image: luv.gif]
04-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

The gaming industry is still in their 'teen' period. Sex sells, and they abuse that all the time. I think female characters will become normal and less sexy. (Think about huge boobs and ass). I hope the moment that they come out of that period, more female gamers will start gaming. Because honestly, I think most women see games like 'violent, sexist and only for men'.
So to answer your question, I think companies rely more on the male audience at the moment. I hope they will target the female audience more in a couple of years.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2014, 02:59 PM by OriginalUsername.)
04-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

The argument is over before it even begins if you ask a question like that. Once the human mind has an agenda, its propensity for interpreting things in its favor are almost boundless (otherwise known as confirmation bias.) Therefore the question: "Is this sexist?" does nothing but divide. In the absence of obvious sexism, social justice warriors will just appeal to the most obscure subtextual interpretations and at the end of the day there is no winning with partisan disputes like that. It's entirely self-refuting to argue that sexism (specifically discrimination towards women) appeals to men and that boys are only interested in boy things and girls only interested in girl things. Does anybody here actually pigeonhole themselves like that? Do you watch Schwarzenegger movies while pumping iron, play football, drink beer and think of women as objects? And women, do you bawl over shallow romcoms, spend all of your money on clothes and talk to your friends about dreamy men? No? Then what are "feminine games" or "masculine games" except poor games? These ideas may appeal directly to a sizable minority but it's my experience that real and honest people don't buy into the BS. Not that there is no difference between the sexes, but there is no such thing as a great work of art that only one sex can enjoy. If that's the case, it's shallow end of - it has only surface elements with no depth.

So in my opinion the question should not be "when will the games industry abandon sexism?" but rather "when will the games industry abolish laziness?"* Because let's be fair, a game that has quality writing with three dimensional fleshed out male characters and yet cardboard box female characters is an extreme rarity (I cannot think of any such game.)

*Even this is not a serious question because there will always be an excess of mediocrity as per Sturgeon's Law (if I may reference it informally.)

EDIT: And certainly no case can be made with Amnesia. When they made it they thought of people. Fear is universal, it's something most of us share, and while some people may have their own personal fears (phobias especially) they are so hopelessly obscure that it would be hard to make a horror game out of them that would be scary to a large amount of people. There surely aren't any gender-specific fears though that aren't artificial constructs, and most of these can be extrapolated into a common form which applies to both sexes anyway. Maybe the fear of males to have their genitals brought to harm or something like that? … yeah. Go make a horror game out of that, I'm sure it will be awesome. [/sarcasm]
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2014, 07:52 PM by Bridge.)
04-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(04-22-2014, 02:58 PM)OriginalUsername Wrote: Sex sells, and they abuse that all the time.

Actually, it doesn't. Tongue

^(;,;)^
04-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(04-22-2014, 09:12 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:
(04-22-2014, 02:58 PM)OriginalUsername Wrote: Sex sells, and they abuse that all the time.

Yes, it does.
04-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(04-22-2014, 02:50 PM)Romulator Wrote: While I'm sure FrictionalGames' design brief had a spot in it somewhere saying "...a horror-based first person perspective interactive game in which leaves the player on their toes, fearful and somewhat anxious...", would FG consider that while the market of horror may appeal more to males in gaming, did they think of females too?

Did Infinity Ward/Treyarch consider that while the recurring first person shooter does appeal to the younger generation males, plus the older generation (~30 years old) males, do they particularily aim to make the game seem unisex or is it just something that some girls find to be interesting?

I do not think it matters. A good video game is a good video game, and no matter what gender one is they will likely appreciate it all the same. Likes, and dislikes stem from a person's own interests, and is not predetermined from gender, especially not in this day, and age.

Appealing to the stereotypical likes of a particular gender, such as mass sex appeal will only succeed in capturing the attention of a potential consumer, but not their respect. In the long run if you rely on shallow gimmicks to sell your product, a product without self-respect will not last very well.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
04-22-2014, 10:38 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

(04-22-2014, 09:17 PM)Traggey Wrote:
(04-22-2014, 09:12 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:

Yes, it does.

Nope, it doesn't.

When was the last time you bought a game because it had boobs in it, anyway?

^(;,;)^
04-22-2014, 11:40 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(04-22-2014, 11:40 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: Nope, it doesn't.

I'd say at the very least it piques "shallow interest". It stands out in a way.

Whether or not that interest is enough to push for a purchase of a product I'd say would differ from person to person.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
04-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

(04-22-2014, 11:55 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(04-22-2014, 11:40 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: Nope, it doesn't.

I'd say at the very least it piques "shallow interest". It stands out in a way.

It doesn't stand out because every single commercial these days has sex in it.

Anyway, feast your eyes upon this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_in_adve...ectiveness

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2014, 12:33 AM by MyRedNeptune.)
04-23-2014, 12:25 AM
Find