Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Let''s stop hating Math
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82
RE: Let''s stop hating Math

(04-26-2014, 12:30 AM)i3670 Wrote: It's sad to see that in Sweden, pupils view mathematics as unnecessary and boring. I've always found it interesting, when I understand it, and feel really disappointed when I hear young people talking down on math.

As an example, many Swedish 7-9th graders couldn't solve 4/5 + 2/3. I asked my little brother who is currently on that level of math to solve it and he answered incorrectly to which he replied "Oh, so I'm like everyone else, great!".

I'm swedish and I love maths Big Grin. However, it could be sometimes in the math books (encountered it a few times b4) that they explain it super difficult. Usually there are some examples on how to solve for example 2/4 + 3/5. But they do it in the most complex way you could come think of. Maybe it's because I have Asbergers and cannot understand it correctly, but from the view of the others (or a few), it seems like they agree with me.

Still not calling this an excuse though for swedish people being bad at maths. Swedish people are bad at maths. (most of them)

Derp.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2014, 05:05 PM by Neelke.)
04-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Find
Focalize Offline

Threads: 6

Math major here because math hurts ; - ;

Honestly there's only one reason that I hate math: I'm too lazy to do pages of practice questions to get better at it. Most of us hate what we're not good at. See you can't really make someone like math if they don't see the beauty of it. By that I mean something like being able to fit puzzles together perfectly, it's pretty much like a toy with magical powers, remember how Newton created calculus because he was bored. To see the cool stuff math can do approach it with an open mind, if you feel like you hate something you'll never be able to let it in. So I don't see the point of forcing math on little kids, but to become useful members of society I suppose some basic math should still be necessary. I dislike the way math is taught, it doesn't have to be dry but instead animated and pretty and sparkly and pink okay I'm so done.

[Image: tumblr_mqgl69kyLV1ql2603o1_500.jpg]
04-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

It's not so much that I hate math, it's that math hates me.

04-27-2014, 05:17 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

While competent teaching helps to a certain extent, personal interest in the subject goes a long way. I'm much more invested in linguistics and art than I am in something quantitative like mathematics.

I don't see how math leads to 'abstract' thinking when it often posits questions which require concrete, singular answers. There's rarely a real situation where a margin of error is allowed during calculation.
04-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

I first read "Let's Stop Hating Meth".

I agree, math is important, it requires good logical thinking and even nerves sometimes. Most people just seem to lack these, for example me.
Without math, we would be still stuck in the ancient ages.
04-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Find
BAndrew Offline

Threads: 23

(04-27-2014, 08:05 AM)Alardem Wrote: While competent teaching helps to a certain extent, personal interest in the subject goes a long way. I'm much more invested in linguistics and art than I am in something quantitative like mathematics.

I don't see how math leads to 'abstract' thinking when it often posits questions which require concrete, singular answers. There's rarely a real situation where a margin of error is allowed during calculation.

No one says that you should like Math. Just don't disrespect it. I don't like dancing, but I never make fun of people who dance or think of them as less intelligent in any way.

Mathematics is concrete since it can be applied to real-life applications that one can use everyday, such as calculating the amount of money needed to pay for your taxes, mortgage, groceries, etc. It is objective and rigorous as there is only 1 correct answer, but many ways to arrive at it. It's abstract since it is also theoretical. Pure mathematics studies entirely abstract concepts. For example, the number "i" is any imaginary number with the property i² = -1. This is an abstract concept humans discovered.

•I have found the answer to the universe and everything, but this sign is too small to contain it.

[Image: k2g44ae]

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2014, 12:04 PM by BAndrew.)
04-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

I strongly disslike maths, back during school I litteraly found a fly stuck between two windowpanes more interesting than solving my mathbook problems.
04-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 17

If I die, I'm personally blaming maths in the note...

The International Narcotics Traffic
04-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Find
Oscar House Offline

Threads: 3

Back when I still needed to learn Math, I quite liked it. Haven't had need for the more advanced stuff in a couple of years so I've kinda forgotten a lot of it.

[Image: 2exldzm.png]
04-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Find
BAndrew Offline

Threads: 23

Edward Frenkel: When you say that you hate math, you’re really saying I hate the way math was taught to me. Imagine you’re in art class in which they only teach you how to paint a fence or a walk but they never show you the paintings of the great masters. Then of course years later you’re going to say “I hate Art”, what you’ll really be saying is “I hate painting the fence.” And so it is with math. When people say “I hate math”, what they’re really saying is “I hate painting the fence.”

•I have found the answer to the universe and everything, but this sign is too small to contain it.

[Image: k2g44ae]

04-27-2014, 06:56 PM
Find