Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Brothers with Down Syndrome.
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: Down with the downs.

(04-28-2014, 02:47 PM)Red Wrote: Good, i am relieved.

I have a sydrome too, it's called laziness syndrome, pretty common on lazy people. It's a miracle i am alive.

I think I have symptoms of laziness syndrome... It sucks...

Trying is the first step to success.
04-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Find
tezpull666 Away
Banned

Threads: 15

I never had laziness syndrome :3 3: emordnys ssenizal dah reven i
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2014, 03:37 PM by tezpull666.)
04-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

I think I have laziness syndrome too, but I'm too lazy to check...

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

i have the vampire syndrome

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
04-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

AVPD represent.

Do they show any particular signs of any other disorder? OCD, ADD/ADHD perhaps?

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014, 12:48 AM by 7heDubz.)
04-29-2014, 12:48 AM
Find
Posting Freak

(04-29-2014, 12:48 AM)WIWWM Wrote: AVPD represent.

Do they show any particular signs of any other disorder? OCD, ADD/ADHD perhaps?

Not exactly. Usually they're slow in their movement... (Not very slow, just a little slower than what we're like).

But, they do have a kind of autism.

My real brother always does what he usually does. Then it's really exciting when he decides to try something new, fx. eat something he usually didn't want.

My other brother's autism is a little stronger, which sometimes gets a little scary.
He needs everything to be as it always is (Though it isn't like that always).
If things change too much he starts to have these reactions.
The reactions also seem to happen when a lot of people are around him (Which is also unusual).

These reactions are different...

Sometimes he feels like he has to do something to really attract the attention. This can be from pushing somebody, to grabbing a glass and dropping it on the ground so it breaks.

The problem with this is you can't tell him it's wrong. He will not understand it. He only understands it as a reaction from the others, which was what he wanted. A reaction. An emotion. If you yell at him, which people have done before, he starts yelling at himself. And that we can't do anything about either.
The best reaction is to not do anything but take things calmly.

The worst reaction I've encountered is when we were sitting at the dinner table and I was sitting next to him. He threw a fork at me... Fortunately I had my head turned so he hit my ear... Started bleeding a little but it wasn't anything special... It's just the thing that he starts throwing things, like forks or knives. He still does that... but what can we do? It's only when he is in that mood... I just don't like sitting beside him anymore...

04-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

While I can be certain that it has to do with development within the womb or recessive genetics - why are they affected by down syndrome.

Also, are you affected by it? If not, can I ask how you aren't while they are?

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
04-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(04-29-2014, 12:26 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote: but what can we do? It's only when he is in that mood... I just don't like sitting beside him anymore...

actually that sounds really serious and dangerous. IMO you should try approaching him about that matter. Him throwing knives and forks at people is not exactly a small issue, even if it rarely happens.

I don't know much about autism and how things work related to it, but you should explain to him the consuqences of the things he does. If it was a regular kid i'd just say that the kid needs a harsh discipline but in your case I suggest that you come to him in a peaceful way.

Using the case where he threw a fork at you, come to him and explain what could have happened in the worst case scenario and what would happen after that and in general how its going to badly affect him and everyone else.

I'm just going to be really honest here, but in my opinion saying "What can we do, its the just way he is" is a very very bad way of handling the situation, unless you plan to have him isolated from the whole world for the rest of his life

EDIT: Bear in mind that I'm just explaining how I would deal with the situation this sure as hell not an expert advice xD It could be completely wrong but its what I think and with that said ---

About the glass dropping part and trying to get attention, at that point I'd make sure he gets punished good and proper so he gets taught that demanding attention is bad.

Autism or not, the best cure for a bad behaviour is always a sharp voice and discipline. As far as i know, gentle words or sitting back and justifying bad behaviour NEVER fixed anything

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014, 12:52 PM by Nice.)
04-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(04-29-2014, 12:36 PM)Romulator Wrote: While I can be certain that it has to do with development within the womb or recessive genetics - why are they affected by down syndrome.

Also, are you affected by it? If not, can I ask how you aren't while they are?

I have no idea.

No I'm completely normal (As from what everybody tells me Wink )

I'm not sure how it works but I'm guessing it's a genetic mistake.
In my real family I have 2 siblings.
I came first, completely normal.
Then my brother with down syndrome.
Then my sister, completely normal.

It happens. It's not a thing like a disease.

(04-29-2014, 12:45 PM)Dogfood Wrote:
(04-29-2014, 12:26 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote: but what can we do? It's only when he is in that mood... I just don't like sitting beside him anymore...

About the glass dropping part and trying to get attention, at that point I'd make sure he gets punished good and proper so he gets taught that demanding attention is bad.

It doesn't work that way! You can't.

Punishment is not a thing. He does not understand things like punishment.
He just understand that he is being punished. Not why.
Why is not a thing.

He does not question why things happen. I don't know how to explain it. That's how I understand it. I know it sounds dangerous but he's been in the world before and he knows how to act. It's only if he goes really tired or everything is wrong in his world.

When he knows he has done something bad he starts talking or yelling: "No, Sebastian!", "You can't do that", "She becomes sad", "Now she's angry"... Because that's what people have told him when they yelled at him...
It does not work. He kind of wants the yelling, because it's a reaction. Everyone likes getting a reaction. He does not care if it's a bad or good one.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014, 01:02 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
04-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

I think even autist learns if you teach him, maybe even with bit harsher methods, have you tried shouting? (And yes, Fus ro dah works the best, if you think that way)
04-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Find