Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Brothers with Down Syndrome.
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
Brothers with Down Syndrome.

Hey guys!

I'm having the honor of being the bigger brother of 2 kids with down syndrome.

My real brother is 16 years old. He's exactly 18 months younger than me.
He spends a lot of time in his room watching movies or playing on his playstation.

My other brother is 16 too I think, but he's a little younger and is not my real brother. Still I've gotten to know him as the years have passed.
He spends most of his time in his room too, watching movies or listening to loud music.

I've figured not many know about the down syndrome, and I often see potato-jokes, which are pretty funny in my opinion Big Grin
But if you want to ask any questions about it, I'd really like to answer your questions.

Also, what are your opinions on the syndrome? What do you actually know about it?

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014, 01:32 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
04-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49
RE: Down with the downs.

Are there any serious symptoms?
04-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Find
Posting Freak

How do you define serious symptoms? Smile

Yes, you're definitely able to tell that they have downs.

Neither of them speak clearly, but they both do speak.
One of them speaks all the time while the other doesn't (Though he do know how to. He just doesn't want to).
They don't learn as fast as everyone else, therefore they go to a special school for kids with downs.

Something you almost always will be able to tell from a downs is the placement of their eyes and their tongue. The tongue is usually pretty large and the eyes are small.

What were you thinking about more specifically? Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2014, 12:37 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
04-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

He was probably thinking along the lines of learning disabilities. From what I know Down Syndrome is a basically an extra (abnormal) replication of Chromosome 21, and thus the karyotype is 47, XY. This causes learning disabilities, a distinct facial pattern, etc.

I think that people with disabilities like CHARGE syndrome, Down syndrome, Autism and lots more should be treated specially. I mean they can't do some stuff like we can or look good like us. I mean we're all human, does that change anything? No, it doesn't.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2014, 12:45 PM by PutraenusAlivius.)
04-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Find
tezpull666 Away
Banned

Threads: 15

(04-28-2014, 12:41 PM)SomethingRidiculous Wrote: He was probably thinking along the lines of learning disabilities. From what I know Down Syndrome is a basically an extra (abnormal) replication of Chromosome 21, and thus the karyotype is 47, XY. This causes learning disabilities, a distinct facial pattern, etc.

I think that people with disabilities like CHARGE syndrome, Down syndrome, Autism and lots more should be treated specially. I mean they can't do some stuff like we can or look good like us. I mean we're all human.

Well, I AM glad i am not treated specially, i am glad i am a normal person with charge syndrome!
04-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I have no problem with people being treated in special ways to help them cope with their disability (that's what special care is for), but I don't like when they are being ridiculed or shamed for what they are. Some people with disabilities can take care of themselves, and some people need a helping hand.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
04-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(04-28-2014, 01:05 PM)eliasfrost Wrote: I have no problem with people being treated in special ways to help them cope with their disability (that's what special care is for), but I don't like when they are being ridiculed or shamed for what they are. Some people with disabilities can take care of themselves, and some people need a helping hand.

That is correct.
Some people do know how to take care of themselves, but those are special cases when talking about down syndrom, from what I know.

Oh there's actually one thing more about my not-brother.
He does not feel full. I can keep eating even though he is technically "full".
We have to stop him.

04-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

If the symptom is never gonna get better, I think it's gonna be pretty troubling when he becomes big and independent,
if he lives alone in some part of his life, no one is telling him to do so.
He have to learn his own trick for that.
Note up how much he has eaten perhaps.
04-28-2014, 02:10 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(04-28-2014, 02:10 PM)Red Wrote: If the symptom is never gonna get better, I think it's gonna be pretty troubling when he becomes big and independent,
if he lives alone in some part of his life, no one is telling him to do so.
He have to learn his own trick for that.
Note up how much he has eaten perhaps.

Definitely! We're pretty sure that they're going to need an assistant when they move out.
Or get to move at a "college" for people with Down Syndrom.
Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2014, 03:25 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
04-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Good, i am relieved.

I have a sydrome too, it's called laziness syndrome, pretty common on lazy people. It's a miracle i am alive.
04-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Find