Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In-game Debug Menu
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
In-game Debug Menu

Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to edit which key is used to open the debug menu in the game? It's usually F1, and since my keyboard uses fn, it's kind of a hassle to do when I reload the map a lot.

I haven't checked anywhere to see if I can do this, so I don't know how possible (hard or easy) it is, if at all. If anyone knows, hit me up, yeah?

Thanks!

05-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: In-game Debug Menu

If it was specifically for amnesia possible to change that, it would have to be in the default user keys document, but it has no mention of it, So I am afraid that it is practically not possible to do that.

Though just in theory, if you were to somehow find a more or less high level programmer who has lots of time to waste, then maybe he could do a script that swaps F1 with another key while amnesia is running for your entire system.

So yeah it is technically possible, but as a practical easy to do way no it is not.

EDIT:
Actually it is not unlikely that there exists software that will allow you to remap keys on your keyboard while it(the software) is running, so maybe you could find such a software and just run it every time you do amnesia modding?
It is a possibility but actually looking up and investigating these software I will leave to you.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2014, 05:23 PM by WALP.)
05-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Thanks for the suggestion. I suppose that is the only way. Ah well, not a very big deal, but it would be nice to do something with.

I tried looking for programs that do such. Since I'm using a Mac OS, results are likely a lot fewer than Windows. I found some, but I'm not sure if they do exactly what I want. There's one called Palua, which appears to be very simple and effective (it basically modifies what F-keys do just when a specific app is running in the foreground), but it costs $1. I'd buy it, but I just don't know if it's as good as I think and whether I'm actually gonna end up using it, because it has no trial. One thing it supposedly does NOT have, is the option for just specific F-keys, so it basically changes all or none in the app.

I can easily change whether I need the fn key for the default F-functions, but I like to use the special function (volume control, monitor brightness, quick access to apps) that are also labeled on some of those keys. I think it would be just as much of a hassle to hold fn when changing the volume as it would be to open the debug menu.

This whole little situation is very simple to do something about, but it's also not very important. It's all just to make things slightly more convenient. What would be perfect would be an app that lets you choose which F-keys to change, or maybe something that maps my Mouse 4 button to F1 - That would be incredibly handy.

Well, I might look around some more and see if I find something. Thanks again!

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014, 04:53 PM by Mudbill.)
05-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I'm not sure how helpful this may be, but I've used this:

http://www.autohotkey.com/

The main use I did with this is to bind some functions on my speedrun timer to a more manageable hotkey. I don't know if it can work for what you're trying to do, but it may be worth it to look through the tutorials, and see if you can bind some stuff to other stuff.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
05-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Looks like a nice, customizable tool right there, though it seems to be Windows only Tongue
I do use Boot Camp from time to time, so perhaps I can use it on there, but I rarely develop on it.

I can plug in a USB keyboard that uses normal F-functions as primary, but yeah, something to mix it up with the predefined functions of the Apple Keyboard would be nice. Decrease monitor brightness is currently the primary function of F1, and fn-F1 is normal F1. There's a toggle for the fn key, but it affects all F-keys rather than just F1. I can live without the brightness controls for a bit, but the volume is always nice to have ready, so I'd like to not give that up.

Thanks though xP

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014, 05:40 PM by Mudbill.)
05-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Find