Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editing Options In The Main Menu
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Editing Options In The Main Menu

It would be great if they'd implement (unless there already is something) a feature that removed it. Adding a -nocs flag in the batch or launch options or something. I mean, I guess it's worth researching how they did it for Justine, but reading the files can be difficult, yeah. Hmm...

06-25-2014, 10:00 PM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19

This is an interesting question. It was actually the redundancy of the CS menu that made me decide to re-purpose it for The Trapdoor (re-play modes in the form of CSs, version 1.3 onwards). I'm glad I didn't know how to hide it at the time, otherwise I wouldn't have had the idea. It would be good to know, though.

Edit: this is where is go on about my theory, which turned out to be totally wrong. See below.
Spoiler below!
I've done a bit of research and I've got a theory, but I don't 100% know what I'm talking about so don't shoot me down!

I managed to pull a list of strings that are extant in the Amnesia.exe process. Now, I'm not saying that there definitely is a command line switch to turn off the CS menu, but if there is, it will be somewhere in this list. Only problem is, there is a huge amount of garbage (~39000 lines).

I've spent 15min searching the list for anything that looks like a relevant switch, but had no luck. If anyone else wants to have a go, let me know and I'll get the list to you. Unfortunately it's too long to paste into a spoiler tag without crashing my browser, and the file is too big to attach.

The other possibility is that the launcher does something snazzy, like somehow patching the exe in memory. If that was the case, you wouldn't be able to do it in a mod unless you had really good knowledge of the engine and you made your own special launcher. I'm guessing that if any of us were that good at programming engines then we wouldn't be here! Wink

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2014, 09:45 AM by MrBehemoth.)
06-26-2014, 04:14 AM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Actually, last night I just went and asked the esteemed Mr Grip, and he replied within a few hours. Aparently this is a hack made specifically for Justine, applied via the launcher. It also enables permadeath and all the ARG stuff, so it's only really useful for Justine. We will have to live with the CS menu. My advice is to re-purpose it. You can call it anything you want in the lang files.

06-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Find
Artsy Offline

Threads: 10

(06-26-2014, 09:43 AM)MrBehemoth Wrote: Actually, last night I just went and asked the esteemed Mr Grip, and he replied within a few hours. Aparently this is a hack made specifically for Justine, applied via the launcher. It also enables permadeath and all the ARG stuff, so it's only really useful for Justine. We will have to live with the CS menu. My advice is to re-purpose it. You can call it anything you want in the lang files.

but.. perma deaths..
Sad
06-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Find
Lakelezz Offline

Threads: 1

Oh, that is quite interesting. Can I have a look at his reply? Just to see all the information he gave.

Also I have to agree on the lang-file-thing. Letting it be empty will just work fine. The empty row will be okay I guess, haha.

Thank you all for your ideas and help =)
06-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Website Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

The only slight annoyance of removing it (apart from the empty space) is that, if you position the cursor at the very middle, you're still able to open the custom story menu. You could of course have it point elsewhere in your main_init file, but the window is possible to open even without the name. Most people probably won't try though, because it can be tricky to hit the spot.

06-26-2014, 05:40 PM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

(06-26-2014, 04:33 PM)Lakelezz Wrote: Oh, that is quite interesting. Can I have a look at his reply? Just to see all the information he gave.

This is the whole of his reply:

Thomas Wrote:IIRC then this is a justine hack so if you enable it you get the perama death and all of the ARG stuff along with it.
/Thomas

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2014, 08:01 PM by MrBehemoth.)
06-26-2014, 08:01 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Does this mean it IS possible to enable? I don't think I'd use it because of the perma death feature, but it would be interesting to see if it works at least.

06-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

(06-26-2014, 09:42 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Does this mean it IS possible to enable? I don't think I'd use it because of the perma death feature, but it would be interesting to see if it works at least.

I think that what Thomas meant, and what I already thought, is that the hack that mods TDD into Justine is applied by the launcher. I've found out 2 things to back this up.

1) Imagine a program that displays a splash screen (the amnesia logo and rose image) and a few buttons and provides a few options and shortcuts to other exes when you hit the buttons. That program is going to be 200 maybe 300 Kb tops. Launcher.exe is 2.6 Mb. Amnesia.exe is only 1.1 Mb more than that. Launcher.exe is more than just a menu.

2) I used Process Explorer to look at the strings in Launcher.exe (same as I did with Amnesia.exe mentioned in the spoiler tags above). The launcher does indeed call on config/ptest_main_init.cfg, but not with any other arguments. What it does have is a whole bunch of code and comments that are very similar to those in Amnesia.exe.

I'm guessing that the bulk of the 2.6 Mb launcher is the ptest hack.

In short, it's possible but not, I believe, within the scope of a mod, unless you are FG.

06-27-2014, 12:52 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

What I would do is use Justine's ptest config files, but try making them to be more like the default one each. (Like ptest_main_init to main_init) and see what file changes it. If nothing changes, then it's the launcher.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
06-27-2014, 01:49 AM
Find