Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Navigating Academia
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10
Navigating Academia

So, I've headed back to college to obtain a degree that will allow me to roam the field of graphic design and perhaps lead to a job as a conceptual artist later down the road.
Naturally, things aren't that easy. I've been told that what I should be looking for is a degree in art communications. Another suggested industrial design (not what I asked). And another said a BFA in graphic design should do it (focusing on traditional art and then moving into digital). And I never really get a straight answer when I ask what the difference between all of them is. My academic adviser doesn't answer my e-mails and I'm having a time and a half switching. The phone numbers he gave me to people in the digital media department don't answer (I leave a message and they don't reply). I'm taking a course over the summer that gives transferable credits. I've been looking mostly at the BFA because I've got a decent handle on traditional media, but I'd love to learn digital.
I'm looking to obtain a Bachelor's and eventually a Master's.
I feel like I must be stupid not to have this figured out, but I'd rather feel that way and get it right the first time than spend a bunch a money and get loans for something I didn't even want.
So, if any here are any where near the field: which degree would be most useful?

Thanks to anyone who can give suggestions.

06-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43
RE: Navigating Academia

I'm sure DavidS could provide some helpful insight into this, hopefully he'll catch this thread Wink

/strategic bump

Your situation with your advisor sounds pretty awful. I can't imagine anything more disheartening for a student than to be ignored by the one person whose entire purpose for existing is to help and advise you. That you're still pushing forward in spite of the crappy support is something to be valued!

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2014, 03:06 AM by Paddy™.)
07-02-2014, 03:04 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Navigating Academia

(07-02-2014, 03:04 AM)Paddy™ Wrote: I'm sure DavidS could provide some helpful insight into this, hopefully he'll catch this thread Wink

/strategic bump

Your situation with your advisor sounds pretty awful. I can't imagine anything more disheartening for a student than to be ignored by the one person whose entire purpose for existing is to help and advise you. That you're still pushing forward in spite of the crappy support is something to be valued!

Thanks for the thoughtful bump!

Interesting update: My prof for the class I'm taking had a very similar experience not long before me (same school, no less). He actually helped and did some research into a college that actually offers a video game design major. I may not be able to keep working, unfortunately, but I think by next fall I can save enough to go. It's all tentative, though. Seeing as I'm a living, breathing example of Murphy's law, things might change.

07-03-2014, 02:42 AM
Find