Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Tech culture
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
Tech culture

As some of you may know, the program of my undergraduate study is computer science.

For some reason, I've had tremendous difficulty assimilating into the CS / tech culture. At my university (a pretty big computer science school), there aren't that many students who are only interested in game programming. There's big hype on getting into tech companies like Google and Facebook, and as a result, the most popular topics for discussion are service apps, databases, and algorithms.

Is it normal that I don't care about those things at all? As much as I try, I really don't like databases and I hate SaaS even more. I've also never done web development. But the successful programmer is envisioned as someone who gets b0ners for algorithms. Tech culture seems to all be about making the best user interfaces or the most efficient algorithms.

Game programming is the only programming that I've truly loved. Am I narrow-minded?

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2014, 05:14 AM by Froge.)
06-06-2014, 05:08 AM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Tech culture

Currently I'm in what I believe is called a trade school, so because of being here all that tech stuff I'm not interested in I now just think of as: if I had a business it would be opportunities to expand to new markets where our skills and expertise still matters, or potential ways to enhance workflows in what we are already doing, fx game programming if you where working in/running a game company.

When something prints money it somehow motivates people, even if they dont care about money, because numbers are nice.

That said I find that if you delve into a subject and get some depth, experience and results you may often find them seeming more attractive, though of course that depends on your personality and attitude while doing so which is something we cannot always control as much as we need to.

In short:

-New Opportunities
-Can enhance your skills in the stuff you are interested in as well.
-???
-Profit.
06-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37
RE: Tech culture

yeh its normal

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
06-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Find