Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Changing the Skin of Amnesia Monsters: Can it be done?
AlexWM05 Offline

Threads: 2
Changing the Skin of Amnesia Monsters: Can it be done?

Hey guys! Trying to get my motivation back to it's peak and finally get this god-forsaken custom story done! So here is one of the many questions that I need to ask after fiddling around for a bit.

I've been trying to give a new look for some of the Amnesia monsters so that I can avoid making the experience feel too recycled. Along with new sounds, I'm giving it some new textures too. I recently made use of paint.NET to alter the saturation and pigments of the Grunt's skin for example in order to make it look more bloody and fleshy.

.png   vermillion_greg.png (Size: 283 KB / Downloads: 243)

I've applied the new textures on the Model Editor, and even though it aesthetically works on the editor, when I ran it on test, it transverses back to it's standard texture mode.

.png   vermillion_greg2.png (Size: 255.77 KB / Downloads: 208)

I'm dreading the thought to having to go all the way back to it's roots and use blender in order to apply the new textures in a more proper fashion if that's what this software requires me to do.

I'm trying to work with this on other entities too. Like the mask from AMFP. But I'm having the same problem; returns to it's regular textures when the entity runs in game. Blah.

.png   mask.png (Size: 256.78 KB / Downloads: 217)

So any of you guys this there's a way to make this magic happen? If so, what should be my courses of action? If blender does happen to be involved, I'll be sure to look up some video tutorials of some kinds that would help me.
06-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Changing the Skin of Amnesia Monsters: Can it be done?

You can't just apply the texture in the Model Editor. You have to apply everything in a 3d modelling program (Blender/Maya/3DS Max) and then import it to Amnesia for Amnesia-stuff.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
06-20-2014, 02:00 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Open the .dae model file to the grunt in a text editor. Search up ".dds" (that should be all it takes to find the texture file), then replace the name with your new texture. The mapping should stay the same.

After that, you might also need to create a new .mat file for it. Try opening the new monster in the Model Viewer, and if the .mat file is not present, it should generate it for you. After that you can edit it with the Material Editor to be like the original.

I haven't tried this with monsters myself, but I think it should work. Give it a try, will ya?

06-20-2014, 02:45 AM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

(06-20-2014, 02:00 AM)Harry Potter Wrote: You can't just apply the texture in the Model Editor. You have to apply everything in a 3d modelling program (Blender/Maya/3DS Max) and then import it to Amnesia for Amnesia-stuff.

NOT totally true here..
I did it with paint.Tongue
Just COPY the entire folder of the monster.
Then easely add the texture format(s)
I have done that with some other monsters ( could been seen in Mental Memorial - The Monsters from Tenebris Lake. )
And also the GIRL from another story i cant remember the name Phobia something.. ( can been seen in Premonition )
Change the dds. if was this for me ( stalker.dds )
---
It wont be very easy because the monsters have 2 sizes LEFT and RIGHT..
Just play around what you have.
06-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(06-20-2014, 12:15 PM)DnALANGE Wrote: NOT totally true here..
I did it with paint.Tongue
Just COPY the entire folder of the monster.
Then easely add the texture format(s)
I have done that with some other monsters ( could been seen in Mental Memorial - The Monsters from Tenebris Lake. )
And also the GIRL from another story i cant remember the name Phobia something.. ( can been seen in Premonition )
Change the dds. if was this for me ( stalker.dds )
---
It wont be very easy because the monsters have 2 sizes LEFT and RIGHT..
Just play around what you have.
(06-20-2014, 02:45 AM)Mudbill Wrote: Open the .dae model file to the grunt in a text editor. Search up ".dds" (that should be all it takes to find the texture file), then replace the name with your new texture. The mapping should stay the same.

After that, you might also need to create a new .mat file for it. Try opening the new monster in the Model Viewer, and if the .mat file is not present, it should generate it for you. After that you can edit it with the Material Editor to be like the original.

I haven't tried this with monsters myself, but I think it should work. Give it a try, will ya?

Guess I have 2 new ways to re-texture a monster.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
06-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Find
Steve Offline

Threads: 17

Not sure if still necessary but may I guide you to this guide?

CURRENTLY WORKING ON:
Final Light = 40%
Need of voice actors.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2014, 11:10 AM by Steve.)
06-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Find
AlexWM05 Offline

Threads: 2

Thankfully I was able to make up a new texture with the material editor already. Smile Once I've solidified and completed the levels and quest basics, I will fiddle around with Blender for a moment. I'll ask for more advice if I'm hitting another hurdle.
06-25-2014, 05:26 AM
Find