Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Writing Prompt Ideas?
ThatCrazyShaman Offline

Threads: 17
Writing Prompt Ideas?

I need to stop creating threads with questions as the subject line... Anyway.

When I’m working on full stories, I like to occasionally jot down short bits of writing for practice. They’re usually whatever random thing pops into my head, but sometime I enjoy working off of prompts.

I traditionally used to stick to working off of prompts that entailed answering some sort of question(s) [a habit leftover from creative writing assignments I did in school], but, anymore, I find I can work off of rather abstract ideas, as well.

The primary issue is that I rarely can think of anything off the top of my head to use as a prompt. And the whole ‘pick a few random subjects and throw them together’ thing doesn’t always do it for me; I need something a bit more solid to work with than that.

So, I’m looking for some random ideas. Essentially whatever you can throw at me. Could be anything, really – from a philosophical question to the most random, ridiculous thing you can possibly think of [like ‘flying octopi getting shredded in turbines’, or something]. I like writing completely outlandish responses to prompts from time to time, so ridiculous is something I can easily work with lol. I once did one about which historical figure you would want to spend time with and why, and I wrote about a crazy, satirical adventure with James Otis that portrayed many of America’s founding fathers as gun-toting maniacs with anger problems xD.

More or less, I just need something to do at the moment. I’m on a brief sabbatical, and, aside from a couple of different projects I’ve been working on, I don’t have much else to do. I’m a bit bored here lol.

So throw some ideas my way, please.

...The only people worthy of consideration are the unusual ones. Common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. - L. Frank Baum
07-17-2014, 04:31 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
RE: Writing Prompt Ideas?

In a far off land, human scientists discover that all of known physics revolve only around primary forces, which are interactions between matter and matter. A secondary force is discovered, which involves interactions between consciousness and matter. It is known as magic.

In a far off land, the cathedral in town hosts a strange piano. A great musician is the only one allowed to play it. He enters the cathedral every so often, and as he plays, the seasons and weather change, adapting to the mood of the music.

In a far off land, wizards have spoken to the Universe and discovered the fate of all things. The Universe, as it turns out, has a sense of humour and is willing to entertain humanity. The wizards are put into nonsensical situations and have to find their way out.

In a far off land, summer is coming. The world is inhabited by primitive tribe people who live in a land where the grass is unusually tall. During summer, it is always day time. The grass is impossible to cut down, and the main predators are massive insects.

In a far off land, people are stricken with a disease that causes symbols and lines to be carved into their skin. The doctors of their time can find no cause. The sick are cast out of town to fend for themselves. They notice that the disease has taken hold of nature as well, with weird lines carved into many trees and animals.

[Image: p229xcq]
07-17-2014, 05:15 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Voice your concerns here. Join us.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
07-17-2014, 05:33 AM
Find
ThatCrazyShaman Offline

Threads: 17

(07-17-2014, 05:15 AM)Froge Wrote: In a far off land, human scientists discover that all of known physics revolve only around primary forces, which are interactions between matter and matter. A secondary force is discovered, which involves interactions between consciousness and matter. It is known as magic.

In a far off land, the cathedral in town hosts a strange piano. A great musician is the only one allowed to play it. He enters the cathedral every so often, and as he plays, the seasons and weather change, adapting to the mood of the music.

In a far off land, wizards have spoken to the Universe and discovered the fate of all things. The Universe, as it turns out, has a sense of humour and is willing to entertain humanity. The wizards are put into nonsensical situations and have to find their way out.

In a far off land, summer is coming. The world is inhabited by primitive tribe people who live in a land where the grass is unusually tall. During summer, it is always day time. The grass is impossible to cut down, and the main predators are massive insects.

In a far off land, people are stricken with a disease that causes symbols and lines to be carved into their skin. The doctors of their time can find no cause. The sick are cast out of town to fend for themselves. They notice that the disease has taken hold of nature as well, with weird lines carved into many trees and animals.

Ah, really interesting stuff Big Grin

(07-17-2014, 05:33 AM)The First Captain Wrote: Voice your concerns here. Join us.

Definitely will. Thank you for the link, good sir!

...The only people worthy of consideration are the unusual ones. Common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. - L. Frank Baum
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2014, 10:20 PM by ThatCrazyShaman.)
07-19-2014, 10:17 PM
Find