Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Would you rather have
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Well made maps and areas
63.64%
7 63.64%
Well made story and writing
36.36%
4 36.36%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you rather have
MrWhitticus Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Would you rather have

(08-01-2014, 10:21 PM)Robosprog Wrote: Just fucking do both instead of trying to drag more attention to something that doesn't even exist yet. Research what comes first in actual game development and then you'll know the answer.

Pro tip, it's not fucking level design and scripting that comes first.

Also, you seem to imply you can create well made maps and story both. Just fucking prove it then dude, because chances are, if it's your first mod, neither will be good.

Calm yourself Robosprog, I'm just looking for a little help, not another argument over stupid shit

As I explained, in my life whatever gets done first gets done best, so what I really mean is which of the two I should put more effort into to create the highest quality CS that I can, should I flesh out a story and find a way for it to be displayed in a map more, or should I create nice, good looking areas in which the scripts run well and everything is well connected? Because knowing me, I'm going to put all my effort into one and be tired by the time I get to the other

*Careless Whisper saxophone solo*
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2014, 02:43 AM by MrWhitticus.)
08-02-2014, 02:15 AM
Website Find
Daktoa Offline

Threads: 10

Here's some math

Amazing mapping + amazing gameplay + terrible story = Most Amnesia custom stories, it's forgivable because most people who make custom stories are into the development aspect and not the writing aspect

Bad mapping + bad gameplay + amazing story = Your good story is getting derailed because your unrealistic environment isn't backing it up. People don't play Amnesia for the story, they play it for the gameplay, the story is extra, and it should be there to carry the progression of the game, but you have to make sure the game is fun first.
08-02-2014, 04:25 AM
Find
MrWhitticus Offline

(08-02-2014, 04:25 AM)Daktoa Wrote: Here's some math

Amazing mapping + amazing gameplay + terrible story = Most Amnesia custom stories, it's forgivable because most people who make custom stories are into the development aspect and not the writing aspect

Bad mapping + bad gameplay + amazing story = Your good story is getting derailed because your unrealistic environment isn't backing it up. People don't play Amnesia for the story, they play it for the gameplay, the story is extra, and it should be there to carry the progression of the game, but you have to make sure the game is fun first.

Thanks, I'll keep all this in mind

08-02-2014, 04:41 AM
Website Find
MrWhitticus Offline

(08-02-2014, 05:03 AM)Robosprog Wrote: I am calm, maybe if you looked in development section at all - which by the way is where this thread should be - you'd realize this is how I speak.

You come on a bit strong is all.
And also, if you recall, this is a poll about what people like most, not about the actual development, the thread's replies just moved onto a development angle.

(08-02-2014, 05:03 AM)Robosprog Wrote: And if that's how you operate, change how you operate. That's not how good mods gets made, where you have a good story and everything else is shit - or a few cool set pieces and everything else is shit.
If you think working like that can create a good mod, then you have a lot to learn indeed.

I am aware that working like this will create difficulty for me making this the best mod that I can, which is why I come to people asking what they'd like and I get advice inside and outside of the forum on how to create good things, which is all I can ask for

08-02-2014, 05:27 AM
Website Find