Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Amnesia: A Coward's Debt [FULL RELEASE]
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64
RE: Amnesia: A Coward's Debt [FULL RELEASE]

I never did have any problems when beta-testing Damascus mod, maybe first Beta versions were little buggy like that matchbox was coming out wrongly first and like too big to pick up etc. But after final version I never face any kind of bugs or errors, everything is working flawlessly, at least for me.

“Life is a game, play it”
04-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Amnesia a coward's debt - Review
by The Mug

The custom story shows it's strengh primarily in it's use of tension. It knows when
to use sounds and music(as well as when not to), and the maze like dark corridors
will make you paranoid as you open door after door. Especially the horrifying new monster
that stalks these corridors adds to this. Even though I managed to mostly avoid it in
my playthrough, it's sounds and freaky movements kept me paranoid.

As well the mod shines of polish almost everywhere, to an extend that it is only in few
instances it displays itself as being a mod. The mapping is average but never ugly,
however it is certainly rarely pretty either. This is shown not just in that it rarely goes
far with detail, but most importantly in just how averagely designed the maps are.
Expect to walk from generic mansion room to generic mansion room, where you will
find few distinguishing traits, repetition and an overall a lack of general personality to
the indidual areas. Finally you shall most certainly see no trace of environmental storytelling.

[Image: TDnJHFQ.jpg]
"What will you do now" the female voice asks me.
Why I will of course sit down in this very generic room waiting for the meal to arrive.

Not just is the mapping generic, but so is the underwhelmingly simple and predictable story.
In terms of it's execution , I would say that it here shows it's polish too, and fits the
pacing of the mod, but still not doing anything significantly good. You can understand
the plot, but there won't be much to feel. This is especially because one of the
most important characters Evangeline, get's barely any attention, leaving the
player with no proper reason to care for her.

Puzzles also keeps themselfes completely from improving the storytelling, or even
interacting with the story in anyway. They only serve as tasks for the pacing.
often I however found myself instead having to look around all these similar rooms
for a solution long enough for the tension to dissappear, leaving me sprinting
all over the place. Appart from removing tension and being unrelated to the story,
the puzzles neither manage to be engaging in themselfes or
doing anything you have not seen before.

A cowards debt is a well polished custom story that shows much potential,
but appart from filling us with fear and tension towards a freakishly moving monster,
it falls average in every aspect. Even it's story that seemed to be an important focus for it.

Overall Rating: 5.68 out of 10
04-20-2014, 11:29 PM
Find
HarshlyCritical Offline

Threads: 2

Hey Damascus,

Just wanted to say I enjoyed this CS. "The Great Work" is possibly my favorite CS of all time, so I was really excited when I found out you had come out with a new one.

Matchbox idea was pretty cool, and I loved all the mind-effs you threw in there. Nothing like turning around and wondering what happened to the "thing" that was just there. As well, the voice acting was great and the custom monster did not disappoint.

Probably sounds like I'm gushing at this point, but I really the only criticism I have is that I would have liked to have "collected" more items. The interactivity felt very AAMFP, but I realize that's just personal preference and you probably intended it that way. Smile

On a side note, I didn't encounter any bugs aside from a black box crash when playing in windowed mode in the bar room on the first floor. I think it was caused by the "movement" that happens in that room, but I can't be sure. Anyway, everything else worked seamlessly for me.

I'm LPing it right now if you're interested in reactions to certain sequences - But anyway, thanks for making this one, and I look forward to whatever you decide to create next.

-HC
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2014, 11:40 PM by HarshlyCritical.)
04-21-2014, 11:36 PM
Find
SSEAlexander Offline

Threads: 26

Oh yea!!! I waited for it long.The great work was an amazing custom story.But this one,Looks amazing.

Polish Langague!!! Yea!!!!! Yes!
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2014, 12:03 PM by SSEAlexander.)
04-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Find
nzim Offline

Threads: 0

Great custom story. I just finished it. I'd give it 10 out of 10. The game was polished enough in my opinion and no bugs or glitches were found. The map is kind of big and you have to enter a lot of rooms unnecessarily, but I like searching for stuff.

The monster was a nice addition. The first time I saw it it really scared the s*it out of me. The second time I saw it in
Spoiler below!
the dungeon
did the same thing Big Grin

I have the feeling that you did a lot of custom music and sounds for this CS and I really appreciate it. The sounds the monster made were quite creepy.

The scares were completely in place and most of the times unexpected. I praise you for the lack of jumpscares because I find them truly annoying. The voice acting was done pretty well, too. The girl reminded me of the woman's voice in Justine.

I also want to note that I noticed the thing with the missing chairs - one second they were there, the other - gone. Another mindf*ck for me was the feeling that someone constantly would put out the candles after I've already lit them. It wasn't until I read you did that on purpose that I found out what really happened.
05-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Find
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8

Had to bump this just to say I really enjoyed this one, Damascus. Slow burn but it gets you in the end, for sure. The level design wasn't much to sneeze at, but the maze-like layout worked well enough.

My real complaint is that I feel like there could have been more free running with the Weeper, since the environment is mostly hallways it seems set up for that sort of thing. Less scripted "thou must die" sequences and more organic chasing-and-hiding bits would have made it more intense, in my opinion.

Still great for what it was though, I knew it'd be worth it coming from the crew behind The Great Work Wink

09-21-2014, 04:27 AM
Find