Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Amnesia: The Second Dimension [READY FOR LAUNCH]
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: Amnesia: The Second Dimension [NEWS FOR TESTERS!]

Send it over.
I know you already tried everything, I'm just gonna see what's that crash about
and maybe do some tests, see if an alternate way solves -or delays- the crash.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2015, 01:42 AM by Daemian.)
02-20-2015, 01:36 AM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19
RE: Amnesia: The Second Dimension [SAD NEWS]

Thanks! I'll PM you shortly.

02-20-2015, 01:43 AM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

So if you want me to give it a try, upload it somewhere and send me the link via pm.

And don't give up now sir, you can always end the game as "part 1" before the crash happens.
And release a second part later.

02-20-2015, 01:50 AM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

(02-20-2015, 01:50 AM)Daemian Wrote: And don't give up now sir, you can always end the game as "part 1" before the crash happens.
And release a second part later.

I don't think that's an option, as I can't guarantee when it will crash. For some people it might be at the end of the first level... It's not like you pull this lever and it crashes... it's something weird going in behind the scenes. Anyway, I PM'd you. Appreciate you having a look!

02-20-2015, 02:36 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

How about you split the levels across a bunch of "custom stories" within an IFC? Say, you list all the levels as separate custom stories, except you edit the menu to display "level select" instead or similar, then add a script to make sure you've finished a level before in order to proceed (that should be possible, eh?). That way you'd only load 1 or perhaps 2 maps per CS instance. Maybe that would prevent the crashes as they happen later?

02-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

Yeah what Mudbill said, kind of like splitting the game into "volumes".
02-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I would be interested in seeing it done because not many mods make use of custom custom stories. All you do is specify your internal folder for CS's in the main_init file, then use the lang file to edit any display names.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM by Mudbill.)
02-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22

Does the game save after the crash ?

02-20-2015, 04:39 PM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

RE: Amnesia: The Second Dimension [glimmer of hope...?]

(02-20-2015, 01:36 PM)Mudbill Wrote: How about you split the levels across a bunch of "custom stories" within an IFC? Say, you list all the levels as separate custom stories, except you edit the menu to display "level select" instead or similar, then add a script to make sure you've finished a level before in order to proceed (that should be possible, eh?). That way you'd only load 1 or perhaps 2 maps per CS instance. Maybe that would prevent the crashes as they happen later?

That's something I thought about, but I couldn't think of a way of "unlocking" the levels (like you say, a script to make sure you've finished a level in order to proceed).

(02-20-2015, 04:39 PM)Darkfire Wrote: Does the game save after the crash ?

No, it doesn't. Save games are not properly implemented yet, anyway. As it currently stands, if you load a saved game then the level doesn't resume properly and you can't proceed. I know how to make that work, I just haven't done it yet. BUT... That would be irrelevant if each level was a separate custom story.

My gut feeling was that people would hate having to return to the main menu after each level.

So, two questions for y'all:

1) Can anyone think of a way of unlocking "custom story" levels?

2) What are people's thoughts on having to return to the main menu and manually select the next level? (Some levels are only a couple of minutes long, others would take much longer.)

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2015, 04:58 PM by MrBehemoth.)
02-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

RE: Amnesia: The Second Dimension [glimmer of hope...?]

I don't think the main menu would be that much of a hassle, as long as it's possible to transition more smoothly than normal. To exit a custom story, you need to run the StartCredits script. I imagine you can just keep the credits blank, but you'll also need to so something about the automatic "The End" string that follows. You can probably hide it in the lang file, but I don't think that would remove it, so the player would still have to wait until it has appeared, then click to return. Perhaps that message should be edited to something more user friendly, maybe "Level complete. Click to continue"-ish?

Problem with that is that it will ALSO appear at the ACTUAL credits you were to use for the game itself. You could always simulate the real credits with the use of a scrolling image though. That way you can also make it more fancy and even on a note like in your trailer. Anyway, you'll still need to exit the game after the "fake" credits in that case. Doing so would have to be done with the StartCredits script, which would run the "Level complete" message too. Are there other ways to return to the menu? What about StartDemoEnd? I don't know how that one works.

So yes, having to go back to the menu would DEFINITELY be worth implementing if it decides the mod's release. It might be a bit clunky, but you can try to your best efforts to make it work as well as possible.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2015, 05:19 PM by Mudbill.)
02-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Find