Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question 'bout da wiki
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Question 'bout da wiki

So I was thinking of going on a rampage on the wiki to see if there are any small adjustments I could make (like grammatical corrections or sentence structure, formulating, formatting or just organizing), and I was wondering if there are any specific guidelines I should follow.

I tried looking around a bit here but it didn't specifically say the dos and don'ts. Any mods know? Just use common sense, yeah? Of course I expect there to be a "Don't delete random articles for no reason" and such, but are there certain things required to be included or things that shall not be removed / edited?

Just call right at me, brah Smile
Thanks

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2014, 10:54 AM by Mudbill.)
09-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Question 'bout da wiki

I wouldn't delete articles unless they are of no relation to the actual wiki in any way, such as a spambot message. We've had one before but I think they're gone now.

One thing I can recommend is checking picture links and see if they are still uploaded or accessible. I've fixed that up for one article, using my own example of course :$

I would argue that you can your own page on the wiki, consisting of links to your YouTube tutorial videos if you would like. They're quite successful in serving their purpose of instruction and are fairly easy to follow Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2014, 10:15 AM by Romulator.)
09-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I wasn't planning on deleting random threads Wink
I trust that if they're there in the first place, they have a reason to be.

I was more looking at editing existing articles and see if I can improve them in any way. Otherwise I might write a few myself too. Checking for dead links sounds like a good idea.

I was mostly just wondering if there are any specific rules for editing it.

Oh, and thanks by the way Tongue

09-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19

What would be awesome is adding the descriptions of the new functions in the 1.3 beta (from the original post stickied on the forum) into the Engine Scripts page of the wiki, with the new ones flagged but merged into the list.

Also some of the categories on that page are a bit debatable, like some functions which I would call 'screen effects' are in the 'player' category etc. I think the categories / organistion of the whole page could do with an overhaul. Examples would be nice too.

Since a lot of people rely on this page, it might be worth creating a whole new version to sit beside it for a while before replacing the original.

I realise that's quite a big job I just nominated you for, but I'd be happy to assist, or take responsibility for it. What do you think?

09-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I was thinking of doing something similar when I stumbled upon this one.

I could probably do it myself, but I wouldn't mind anyone else wanting to work on it as well. I do like to write examples and explanations so I think it could be entertaining enough for myself as there are times when I need a break from whatever else I do.

09-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

So how would this look, if I were to add it to the wiki script page?

[Image: yDoAtJI.png]

I wanted to make the warning text red to make it more noticeable, but there doesn't seem to be any way to change the font or color on the wiki, according to https://wiki.frictionalgames.com/wiki/syntax

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014, 10:39 AM by Mudbill.)
09-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

PHP Code: (Select All)
<color #FF0000>text</color> 

Try that. If it doesn't work, then we don't have the plugin on the wiki.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
09-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

[Image: MrjBnbu.png]

I also tried using <font color=red>text</font> which seemed to be recognized, but didn't apply any changes.

Update: Okay so I've gone through the entire page and added all the 45 new functions. Will you guys look over it and tell me if any changes are needed? I added warnings to each beta function, and I tried to add them in the most appropriate locations. Link to beta at top as well. I also added possible issues with leaving the body name empty in some of the functions, as that was a crashing problem we stumbled upon earlier, yeah?

Please tell me if you find something wrong or I forgot something. Lots of copy/pasting so I might've missed a slight detail here and there.

Update 2: Huh, something odd happened near the bottom that caused all paragraph characters to go missing o.o
Lemme fix that.

Update 3: Done. If you wanna look at the abomination I fixed, here ya go.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014, 03:57 PM by Mudbill.)
09-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Good work! Thanks!

09-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Hey Mudbill, don't know if it's been edited lately, but there's something funky happing in the Props section... Looks like an open tag.

09-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Find