Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Game crashes/ missing textures/ minor other problems
NikzzX Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Game crashes/ missing textures/ minor other problems

(Note: I'm somewhat of a noob and also this might be long...)

I bought Penumbra: Overture Ep.1 about two years ago but I only had an old laptop at the time. I recently got a new computer so I decided to give the game a try.
My new computer specifications are:

AMD Phenom X3 @ 2.2GHz
3GB RAM (w/ over 2GB of free available RAM for the game)
ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB
over 240GB of free hard drive space
Windows Vista 32-bit

The first thing I did was get all of the latest drivers for everything.

Certain texture files (the 'mine' textures) could not be installed from the CD no matter how many times I 'retried' and uninstalled/ reinstalled. Those textures are:
mine_rock.jpg
mine_rock.mat
mine_rock_bump.jpg
mine_rustymetal.jpg
mine_rustymetal.mat
mine_rustymetal_bump.jpg
mine_rustymetal_spec.jpg
mine_sandbags_bump.jpg
mine_sandbags.jpg
mine_sandbags.mat
mine_sandbags_bump.tga
mine_sandbags_powdered.jpg
mine_sandbags_powdered.mat
mine_scrap.jpg
mine_scrap_bump.jpg
mine_scrap_spec.jpg
mine_smallwheel.jpg
mine_smallwheel.mat
mine_smallwheel_bump.jpg
mine_smallwheel_bump.tga
mine_smallwheel_specular.jpg
mine_spiderweb.jpg
mine_spiderweb.jpg
mine_spiderweb.mat
mine_spilledcement.jpg
mine_spilledcement.mat
mine_spilledcement_bump.jpg
I finally decided to 'Ignore' those files and continue with the installation.
Everything else installed quickly and without complication.

I encountered various complications in-game:
First part: On the boat, in the room, behind the chair, there's a small 'disappearing barrel' unless I look at it at an angle.
Second part: Off the boat, in the snow, the ground and some backgrounds were invisible.
Third part: The tunnel you have to crawl through after falling from the vault door has invisible walls.
Fourth part: Everything ran fine and no textures seemed to be missing like the earlier parts, but every time I try to enter the 'Storage Room' after leaving the 'Office', the game keeps crashing.

I tried playing the game w/ the catalyst on then off, I installed the latest Penumbra Overture updates, I tuned the graphical/ audio settings up then down (down makes even more textures appear invisible or warped) and I've tried the solutions to other people's similar Penumbra Overture problems and nothing changed at all...

I don't know what to do. I paid $18.95 for the game and I don't want to buy the same game again if there's an issue w/ the CD itself...

Is there a way I could download the listed missing textures?
How can I correct the game-crashing problem when entering the Storage Room?
Is there even supposed to be a mini (1' tall) barrel behind the chair in the room on the boat?
At this point, I'll accept any advice.
HEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLP MEEEEEEEEEE PLLLLLZ
04-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Game crashes/ missing textures/ minor other problems

1. Copy the installation files from the CD to your desktop (or anywhere on the harddrive) and then run it from there.

2. Make sure to download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card.
04-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Find
NikzzX Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Game crashes/ missing textures/ minor other problems

(04-03-2009, 04:33 PM)Thomas Wrote: 1. Copy the installation files from the CD to your desktop (or anywhere on the harddrive) and then run it from there.

2. Make sure to download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card.

Thanks; the game doesn't crash anymore, and there seems to be a lot less missing textures... although some textures seem to be misplaced or out-of-scale.
04-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Find