Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Cat Lady
dumpling Offline

Threads: 1
RE: The Cat Lady

I'm a little late on this, but I just got finished watching a Let's Play on YouTube and was happy to see it here. I finished the game a while ago, but it was refreshing to watch someone else play it and see their experience out of it.

Some events during the game for me personally knocked me off my equilibrium, as they were pretty disturbing. But I appreciate a medium that doesn't rely on jumpscares (although those can be just as good), and more relying on the atmosphere. I'm used to seeing the dime-a-dozen jump-scare horror games, which this game has occasionally, but overall the atmosphere and mood I think made it interesting, and different from what I'm used to seeing.

Has anyone played the game Downfall, by the same developer? I'm guessing that The Cat Lady was its spiritual successor, as one of the character's from Cat Lady is the protagonist (which explains a lot of his backstory and make sense of events in The Cat Lady with him). That game was quite disturbing as well.

Overall, I'd recommend it. I'd just warn anyone willing to play it that there are some pretty disturbing graphics and topics that aren't for people who will be deeply affected by it. Still, I think it's worth a try.
12-10-2014, 03:52 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

I've played Downfall. I like the artistic design and the point and click gameplay. However, some of the puzzles were quite frustrating; I ended up using a walkthrough.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
12-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

There will be a remake of Downfall in 2015.

12-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Find
dumpling Offline

Threads: 1

Oh, wow. I had no idea. Thanks for sharing that, or I wouldn't have even known until way later. If it ends up being the same game with just different graphics, I don't know if I'll buy it, but I wouldn't mind watching a Let's Play.

I remember a couple of times having to use a walkthrough, so I understand. I think I remember looking at a walkthrough for Cat Lady more than Downfall, though. After all this, I think I'm going to play it again.
12-11-2014, 04:26 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

It's similar to The Cat Lady in the gameplay department, but it's really different in the story.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
12-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Find
Sleepbug Offline

Threads: 4

(12-11-2014, 04:26 AM)dumpling Wrote: Oh, wow. I had no idea. Thanks for sharing that, or I wouldn't have even known until way later. If it ends up being the same game with just different graphics, I don't know if I'll buy it, but I wouldn't mind watching a Let's Play.
The creator confirmed that it will be a new experience, it will of course feature a lot of stuff from the past Downfall, but it won't just be a new coat of paint.

And even if it is the same game with a new coat of paint the main reason he is making it is because the code of the original one is corrupted and cannot be put onto Steam. So I wouldn't be surprised about that.

Are You Still In There? Am I Still Here?
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2015, 01:26 AM by Sleepbug.)
01-14-2015, 07:50 AM
Find
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2

The remake of Downfall has been out since February. I just played through it and can recommend it to anyone who enjoyed The Cat Lady as it is very similar in tone and gameplay.
10-13-2016, 01:54 AM
Find
Sleepbug Offline

Threads: 4

I bought the Downfall Remake shortly after its release back in February and played it once I had the free time.. I intentionally ignored any YouTube playthroughs beforehand as to not spoil it. I also didn't use a walkthrough at any point, which wasn't hard cause a lot of the puzzles are more straightforward in this game as opposed to the original Downfall.

Overall, as polished this is and more appealing with it's voice acting and graphics (even though I prefer the graphics of the original), I prefer the original Downfall. This isn't bias or anything, as I find the original Downfall to be deeply flawed, but the remake makes some odd changes, doesn't have the consistency of the original, and the fan service at the end was just absolutely... blegh, and it somehow replaced what was a bad part of the game with an even worse part.

Sure, you might enjoy this, but I implore you to play the original Downfall as well and see what you think, because a lot seems lost in the jump to quality. As nice as the graphics are, they aren't good enough to warrant the transition, and this doesn't seem to have as much soul as it's original counterpart.

Are You Still In There? Am I Still Here?
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2019, 05:25 PM by Sleepbug.)
10-13-2016, 03:05 AM
Find