Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.09 Average
Penumbra: Necrologue [FULL RELEASE]
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: Penumbra: Necrologue [FULL RELEASE]

(04-15-2015, 07:50 PM)Mudbill Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 11:10 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: I found out what was wrong: The installation instructions themselves.
Quote:3. Copy the folder Necrologue_eng to the root folder of Amnesia.
No, don't do that. Instead move that folder into the /redist/ folder, along with the Necrologue_eng.bat file, and run that.

The root folder is generally referring to the "redist" folder. The thing is that Steam copies do not use a redist folder at all. Therefore Steam copies should place the files in the upmost root of Amnesia. Retail copies use the redist folder as their root.

Let's not have localized lingo break basic technical definitions here. The root folder is the top-most folder. In both cases of Amnesia, it's the Amnesia root folder. In the case of retail copies, the /redist/ folder is a subfolder of the root folder. If you want to call that folder the root folder for some reason, then at least clarify that by stating the name in the installation instructions, for people not clued into your definitions.

Also, when accessing computers in game, you can't use the Space Bar. ...which means that you can't exit out of them (and not out of computer documents either).
As you need to access at least one computer to progress, this is a gamebreaking bug.

Question: Is this happening because I've binded Space to be the run key? Does Space need to be unbinded for this secret exiting task?

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2015, 08:57 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

I suppose the author just forgot that retail copies are slightly different. As this mod is even published on Steam, I bet they have Steam copies themselves, in which case it is correct to say root folder for them. But yes, if possible it should of course be specified that retail copies use redist instead.

As for your question, did you try using the key bound do jump instead of space? I don't think there are any real ways of binding keys in Amnesia, so most just simulate an action as a trigger. Perhaps the author also forgot that the jump key isn't always space.

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2015, 01:26 AM by Mudbill.)
04-16-2015, 01:26 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(04-16-2015, 01:26 AM)Mudbill Wrote: I suppose the author just forgot that retail copies are slightly different. As this mod is even published on Steam, I bet they have Steam copies themselves, in which case it is correct to say root folder for them.
It's kind of funny, as these instructions are found on ModDB, which (after Necrologue was greenlit on Steam) is used solely by people with the retail version. I emailed a Necrologue dev about this yesterday, by the way.

Quote:As for your question, did you try using the key bound do jump instead of space?
Yes. My jump key is Shift. (After playing the Batman Arkham games, I realized just how merciful having run be bound to Space, was to my pinkie finger.) I pressed Space, Shift, Return, Esc (which just brings up the pause menu) and various other keys, as well as clicked. Nothing. I have to exit the game every time. I guess I could try binding the keys back to the default, and see if that works.

Edit:
OH FOR F--KS SAKE!
I bound jump to Left Ctrl by mistake!
Problem solved.
Sorry for your time.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2015, 01:44 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-16-2015, 01:40 AM
Find
Viatrixa Offline

Threads: 0

Albeit it's been a while someone posted in this thread (apologies for necroing it, har har etc.) I feel obligated to say: Damn, this was one hell of a mod.

Ages ago I came whinging for a solution due to being stuck; but at the time I forgot to comment just what an amazing piece of work this is. It stays quite true to the stories - heck, even the voice actors sound very similar (although with an accent) it was just an all around incredible experience. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've seen many people go on about how difficult the game was for them; I think I may just understand why, but myself I seldom ran into any trouble. I quite liked that you had to work so much stuff out for yourself Smile

This "mod" was/is an absolute work of art. Thank you kindly for creating it, and sharing it.
05-09-2015, 07:58 PM
Find