Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Overture crashes at Frist door
sirk Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Overture crashes at Frist door

Hi, i just bought the Penumbra pack off steam. so i started Overture and you start off in That cabin on a ship i do everything in there ok then i leave i get the first sentence on the next screen then when i click to continue the game crashes with this error...

penumbra.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module ntdll.dll at 0023:778d 3592, RtlEnterCriticalSection()+0018 byte(s)

iv reinstalled the gfx driver and sound drivers, i deleted the settings file in teh penumbra episode 1 folder and still it fails.

i also tried running black plague and i get the same error message just after entering the vent in the first room. i havnt tried requiem yet tho i assume ill get the same message

if you need more information just ask and ill do my best

any help is very much appreciated thank you.
06-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Find
OOM9 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Overture crashes at Frist door

Same error message i get.
Similar to you error msg i get is exception reason : penumbra.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_violation in module

penumbra.exe at 0023:0058C050
06-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Check the permissions on My Documents/Penumbra */

It seems it might be that the game crashes when it tries to save the first time, so probably due to not being able to write the files.
07-01-2009, 06:32 AM
Website Find
trevelluk Offline

Threads: 0

I have a very similar problem to sirk, in my case the error is "penumbra.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module ntdll.dll at 00B1".

I'm using the Steam version of the game, and according to http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/sh...p?t=893238 then at least one other person has the same problem.

I don't seem to have a My Documents/Penumbra directory. I'm using Vista (Home Premium) and I've moved my Documents directory to a non-standard location (so it's on a second hard drive). This has caused problems with some games in the past, is this likely to be the issue here?
08-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Could be, sounds as a good guess.

I'm not sure this would work on Windows, but is something that you could do on linux/mac, is that you place a shortcut to Documents at the default location that leads to your non-standard location. When the game looks for the My Documents folder it will find the shortcut and end up in the non-standard location.
08-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Website Find