Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

This War of Mine
dumpling Offline

Threads: 1
This War of Mine

Has anyone played or checked out This War of Mine? It came out a couple of weeks ago. It's a sort of side-scroller/point-and-click game that takes place in a besieged city. According to Google, it's inspired by the 1992-96 Siege of Sarajevo during the Bosnian War.

You control three characters that are randomly generated when you start a new game, with all different stories. They can have prominent traits about them that can make them useful in certain situations (such as being a fast runner to quickly get away from hostility, or being a good cook).

You can cook, craft using workbenches (medicines, furniture, weapons, tools to use during scavenging), and your characters have certain moods like being sick and depressed where you must do these things in order to help them survive.

One of the biggest aspects of this game is scavenging. At nightfall, a world map pops up where you can assign your characters to guard your shelter, scavenge, or sleep. If you pick a character to scavenge, they can visit different locations of the map to gather materials to help your characters build things and survive.

I'm pretty interested in buying this game. I like the gritty atmosphere; it has a feel to it that I dig. The game has some great background music, too. It really fits in with the whole mood of the game.

12-10-2014, 04:51 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: This War of Mine

This game has been getting a lot of praise in that it can model the minds of players to actually base their choices morally based on the game world instead of purely game mechanics. For example would you kill an old couple begging for mercy just to get supplies you need? Mechanically the answer is obvious, but in this game it's not so clear.

It's a game I'm definitely going to buy somewhere down the line when it goes on sale.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
12-10-2014, 06:04 AM
Find
dumpling Offline

Threads: 1

Yeah, I watched a playthrough where the player killed a couple of old people in order to raid their supplies. You'd normally think, "Yeah, I would never want to hurt old people," but if your characters are really hungry, sick and tired, it's either do that or game over. Well, I'm not entirely sure if it's like that, but I've seen criticisms of people saying that the game is pretty black or white, perhaps not giving an option of negotiation. I'll see once I get a chance to play or watch more Let's Plays.
12-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

Yeah, a friend of mine told me about this game, and even linked me to one of his videos about it. So far, I must say that it's an interesting game.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
12-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Website Find