Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential fix for crash bug after update
nebej Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 8
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Bug  Potential fix for crash bug after update

Here is a new exe that could fix the crash:
//removed link as 1.3.1 update has been released.

It seems to be related to having a non-standard gamepad connected via USB
If this fixes the crash please let me know
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2015, 12:22 PM by jens.)
12-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Find
Unregistered

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Potential fix for crash bug after update

This new Amnesia.exe file did fix the crashing on game startup issue that I was having starting with the 1.3 update. Before this temporary fix was released, I was able to discover for myself through my own testing that the game was crashing whenever my USB gamepads were plugged in. If I unplugged them and then started up the game, then it worked properly. But as soon as I plugged in even one of my USB gamepads, the game would instantly crash. This temporary fix seems to be the answer for now. I have the old Frictional Games Store version of Amnesia The Dark Descent that requires a serial number to play (and my serial number still works fine). Have you folks at Frictional Games ever considered updating the old Frictional Games Store version of the game to be DRM-Free? The DRM-Free version of the game has been available for purchase from multiple online locations for a long time now. I also have the old Frictional Games Store version of Penumbra Collection. And I remember that you released an update for Penumbra Collection that made the three Penumbra games DRM-Free and no longer required the person's serial number to play them. Have you ever thought about updating the old Frictional Games Store version of Amnesia The Dark Descent to be DRM-Free being that you made a DRM-Free version of the game already? Anyway, I'm glad that this temporary fix works for now =)

P.S. I have Amnesia A Machine For Pigs on Steam =)
12-12-2014, 08:39 PM
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Potential fix for crash bug after update

You can use the updates to get DRM-free (serial key is not really DRM but anyhoooow) versions of old versions of the game. You can also re-download the full serial free versions from shelf.frictionalgames.com.
12-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Website Find
Unregistered

does not work because "SDL.dll is missing from your computer"
12-12-2014, 11:51 PM
Unregistered

(12-12-2014, 10:38 PM)jens Wrote: You can use the updates to get DRM-free (serial key is not really DRM but anyhoooow) versions of old versions of the game. You can also re-download the full serial free versions from shelf.frictionalgames.com.
Oh wow I didn't even know that. It doesn't mention in the 1.3 changelog that a serial number is no longer required to play an old serial number version of the game. I deleted my installkey file located at Documents\Amnesia\Main and saw that the game now works without needing a serial number anymore. So that's good. You might want to mention in the changelog for your upcoming bug fix patch update that a serial number/the installkey file is no longer required to play the game. Thanks for updating the old Frictional Games Store version of the game to be DRM-Free now Smile

And I am one of the tons of gamers that was amazed by Amnesia The Dark Descent. The first time I played through it, I was terrified and on edge quite often. This game created a new standard for horror video games and it is definitely a masterpiece. It's good that the game was designed with support for custom stories/custom levels. It's a shame that Amnesia A Machine For Pigs was not designed to support custom stories/custom levels though. I know that Amnesia A Machine For Pigs was generally not received as well as Amnesia The Dark Descent was. I didn't think that Amnesia A Machine For Pigs was as good as Amnesia The Dark Descent was. It seemed that Pigs focused more on the story rather than the horror. But I still considered Pigs to be an interesting game to play. And I liked that Pigs had some new things in it that Dark Descent didn't have (like the phones). And Pigs did have some scary stuff in it too.

I also enjoyed Penumbra Overture, Penumbra Black Plague, and Penumbra Requiem as well Smile

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the upcoming bug fix patch update for Dark Descent Smile
12-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

The launcher still features outdated SSAO samples up to "128". I remember Thomas said that the maximum usefull value is "32" which is also the highest value you can set via the in-game graphics options. So why does the launcher still have the old settings?
SSAO samples are also extremely slow down the performance and I think that even a modern high-end gpu is not enough to play with 128 SSAO samples. Most people don't know that and are confused why they got low FPS.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2014, 01:46 PM by Googolplex.)
12-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

The serial key was removed with version 1.2.1 which was first released at Humble Store almost a year back if I'm not mistaken.

Regarding SSAO mistake at launcher, I had a thread made about that years ago:

https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-8235.html

Oh my...this thread of mine is old. I made it 20 days after first registering here. Not even a mod back then! Smile
12-13-2014, 02:14 PM
Find
Unregistered

same here too
12-24-2014, 07:39 AM
Unregistered

How do I use it?
12-26-2014, 03:16 AM
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(12-26-2014, 03:16 AM)Guest Wrote: How do I use it?

It couldn't be easier. Just download the archive, extract it (I recommend 7-zip) and copy all files into the Amnesia installation directory. Replace the original exe!
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2014, 01:44 PM by Googolplex.)
12-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Find