Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Overture doesn't work (Penumbra Collection)
NaturalJow Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Overture doesn't work (Penumbra Collection)

Hi,

I just bought the Penumbra Collection for Mac Os X (reduced price) today and all is working fine, except Overture doesn't start. Not even a log file was created. I then opened the Penumbra.app, went into Contents/MacOS and clicked on "Penumbra". A Terminal Window opened and screen went black, but returned immediately. But now I got a log file:

Check serial!
-------- THE HPL ENGINE LOG ------------

Creating Engine Modules
--------------------------------------------------------
Creating graphics module
Creating system module
Creating resource module
Creating input module
Creating sound module
Creating physics module
Creating ai module
Creating gui module
Creating haptic module
Creating scene module

Initializing Resources Module
Creating resource managers
Misc Creation

Initializing Graphics Module
Init low level graphics
Setting video mode: 800 x 600 - 32 bpp
Init Glee...OK
Setting up OpenGL
Max texture image units: 16
Max texture coord units: 8
Two sided stencil: 1
Vertex Buffer Object: 1
Anisotropic filtering: 1
Max Anisotropic degree: 16
Multisampling: 1
Vertex Program: 1
Fragment Program: 1
NV Register Combiners: 1
NV Register Combiners Stages: 8
ATI Fragment Shader: 0
Creating graphic systems
Creating Renderer2D
ERROR: Couldn't texture 'PointLight2D.bmp'
FATAL ERROR: Couldn't load PointLight2DDeleting ATI shader to 0
Deleting ATI shader to 0
Deleting ATI shader to 0
Deleting ATI shader to 0

As you can see PointLight2D.bmp can't be found. This file is in Overture/core/textures and resources.cfg also lists this directory. If I start a Termincal.app Window go into the Penumbra Collection/Overture directory and start form here with "Penumbra.app/Contents/MacOS/Penumbra" everything works. So it seems that Penumbra uses the wrong Working directory. I hope this is easy to fix and this message helps.

Regards,
Werner
07-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Overture doesn't work (Penumbra Collection)

"If I start a Termincal.app Window go into the Penumbra Collection/Overture directory and start form here with "Penumbra.app/Contents/MacOS/Penumbra" everything works."
So you mean if you do this the game launches and you can play it? Checking to make sure.

And if you try to use the launcher, use the alias for Overture.app or use the Overture/Penumbra.app it does not work at all? Nothing happens?

You say everything is working fine except Overture won't start. Does that mean that Black Plague works?

Could you repair the permissions on the drive to make sure it is not a permission problem?
07-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Website Find
NaturalJow Offline

Threads: 1

(07-17-2009, 11:39 AM)jens Wrote: "If I start a Termincal.app Window go into the Penumbra Collection/Overture directory and start form here with "Penumbra.app/Contents/MacOS/Penumbra" everything works."
So you mean if you do this the game launches and you can play it? Checking to make sure.
Yes the game launches and I can play it.

Quote:And if you try to use the launcher, use the alias for Overture.app or use the Overture/Penumbra.app it does not work at all? Nothing happens?
Right, nothing happens. No error message, no crash, nothin.

Quote:You say everything is working fine except Overture won't start. Does that mean that Black Plague works?
Right, Black Plague and Requiem work however I start them.

Quote:Could you repair the permissions on the drive to make sure it is not a permission problem?
Huh, repair? Don't know how to do that. I just checked the permissions of Penumbra.app. My user has read and write access. As seems to be the case with all other files I checked.

Thanks,
Werner

PS: BTW, I had the same problem on another Mac OS X machine (both are 10.5.7), which is slightly older and has an ATI,RadeonHD2600, while the newer one has an NVIDIA 9600M card (if this is of any interest).
07-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Hm, it's strange. The graphics card should not have anything to do with it. I run 10.5.7 too so that also does not explain it.

To repair permissions you open the disk utility, select the drive and then click the repair disk permissions button at the bottom. You could also try and recopy the Overture folder from the disk image and see if that helps, but as the game runs by using the terminal it is a bit odd.
07-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Website Find
Black Smurf Offline

Threads: 0

It's the same for me - I just bought and downloaded the Collection and Penumbra Overture wouldn't start. When I tried to start Black Plague I got the usual "do you really want to start this downloaded program"-Warning and stopped there (by clicking "no"). So I suspected a problem with the licence: I had previously bought and installed Overture. So I removed the "stand-alone"-Overture and the folder "Frictional Games" from ~/Library/Preferences. Now neither Overture nor Black Plague will start Sad

In the Collection Starter, nothing happens when I click on any Program Icon, if I go via Finder into the respecive folder and try to start a program from there all I get is an error message ("Sie können das Programm "Penumbra" nicht öffnen, da es möglicherweise beschädigt oder unvollständig ist." - You cannot open the program "Penumbra", possibly because it is damaged or incomplete).

Are there any more "Frictional" configuration files I might have missed?

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is the fear of the unknown."
-- H.P.Lovecraft
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2009, 03:24 PM by fonzi.)
07-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Find
andreas Offline

Hi,
I have the same Problem and hpl.log. Repair permissions do not help.
07-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

This is extremely odd.. Now when I built the collection DMG it was back in april (before 10.5.7) and I didn't have these issues.. I'm going to re-test the DMG on the latest 10.5.x later tonight and see if I can figure out what is going on.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
07-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Website Find
Black Smurf Offline

Indeed, odd:

I tried your recommendation in the other similar thread, opened a terminal and tried "open Penumbra.app" in the Overture folder. This produced the following Error-Message:

LSOpenFromURLSpec() failed with error -10827 for the file /Applications/Penumbra Collection/Overture/Penumbra.app.

Then I tried "open Overture.app" in the Penumbra Collection Folder. Now the "Validate Licence Key" Window appeared, I was able to validate my key and then the game seemed to start but exept for the screen going black for a second nothing happened (the program crashed?).

But now I can start Overture via terminal and the command "open Penumbra.app" from the Overture folder... the Collection Program and the alias in the Collection folder still don't work. EDIT: Getting the game to run was a one time affair... when trying to start it again I get the above error message every time when trying to start Overture.

Btw. I'm using an iMac 24" (w. ATI 2600HD) and OS X 10.5.7.

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is the fear of the unknown."
-- H.P.Lovecraft
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2009, 05:21 PM by fonzi.)
07-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Find
sdalek Offline

I also just purchased the Penumbra Collection and am having the same problems.

If I go into the '\Applications\Penumbra Collection' folder and launch 'Penumbra Collection', I get the launcher with the 'Part 1 - Overture', 'Part' 2 - Black Plague' and 'Part 2 - Requiem' icons. None of them work; I click on any of them and nothing launches.

If I click on the 'Overture', 'Black Plague' or 'Requiem' icons located in '\Applications\Penumbra Collection', I consistently get the error message:

"You cannot open the application "Penumbra" because it may be damaged or incomplete."

The same applies if I go into either '\Applications\Penumbra Collection\Overture' or '\Applications\Penumbra\Black Plague' and click on any of the launcher icons there.

Based on your previous suggestion to repair permissions, which from what I read didn't work for others, I repaired permissions using Cocktail 4.4. That did not help.

I'm running a MBP dual-core 2.5MHz 15" with 4Gb RAM with the GeoForce 8600M GT and 10.5.7.

Oh, the other problem I had is that the DMG that came through the download had to be forced to open with DiskImageMounter. The properties associated with the DMG that downloaded, show it associated with TextEdit; I had to manually fix that.

PS: Using NaturalJow's directions on starting Penumbra in a terminal session works. The game launches and plays fine. Just not using the icons packaged with the game.
07-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Find
XenoPhage Offline

(07-17-2009, 06:20 PM)sdalek Wrote: I also just purchased the Penumbra Collection and am having the same problems.

If I go into the '\Applications\Penumbra Collection' folder and launch 'Penumbra Collection', I get the launcher with the 'Part 1 - Overture', 'Part' 2 - Black Plague' and 'Part 2 - Requiem' icons. None of them work; I click on any of them and nothing launches.

Same problem here, the launcher app does nothing.

Quote:If I click on the 'Overture', 'Black Plague' or 'Requiem' icons located in '\Applications\Penumbra Collection', I consistently get the error message:

"You cannot open the application "Penumbra" because it may be damaged or incomplete."

I get this error for Overture. Black Plague and Requiem work, though. At least, they load.. I haven't tried playing them, don't want to start in the middle of a trilogy Smile

Quote:Oh, the other problem I had is that the DMG that came through the download had to be forced to open with DiskImageMounter. The properties associated with the DMG that downloaded, show it associated with TextEdit; I had to manually fix that.

My dmg opened fine, I have no indication that there was any sort of corruption.

Macbook Pro, OSX 10.5.7, GeForce 8600M GT
07-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Find