Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Developer Motivation?
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19
RE: Developer Motivation?

(12-30-2014, 12:35 AM)AGP Wrote: I find watching the behind-the-scenes documentaries on my favorite movies or shows really inspires me creatively.

Or, in instance of working specifically with custom stories, I pick a room and sit in it and just feel it out: what's missing, what feels right and should be expanded on further, what do I hope to achieve with this room, etc.

That is really interesting, I usually do it in reverse, I sit in my basement and look around to see what makes it so spooky.

(12-30-2014, 01:29 AM)Omenapuu Wrote: This might sound like "copying" but for the level editor things, as AGP said you can for example sit in a room, and that way works for me aswell. OR if it doesn't fit you, I recommend playing other stories that other people made, and you can learn new things, or get inspired by the story. I'm not saying to copypaste the things exactly, but to improve yours with them and modify them to your story in it's own way. Actually my "beginning" motivation to making a cs was by playing other custom stories, and I feel like I chose right when I started doing this.. Good way to spend a time, you become more creative as you progress Smile

In my opinion there is a fine line between just filling the empty custom story space and getting inspired. Everything, like every map, should have a pupouse and that is to progress the story. I would get inspired about ambience rather than for example a puzzle. In
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2014, 08:03 AM by Spelos.)
12-30-2014, 07:54 AM
Find
Omenapuu Offline

Threads: 8

(12-30-2014, 07:54 AM)Spelos Wrote: In my opinion there is a fine line between just filling the empty custom story space and getting inspired. Everything, like every map, should have a pupouse and that is to progress the story. I would get inspired about ambience rather than for example a puzzle. In

Yeah I said it a little bit wrong, I didn't mean inspire, rather filling as you said.. My mistake Tongue
12-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

I think it's about time I try to share my new findings and status.
Let's face it, motivation has killed more mods, than anything else. You find yourself looking through new mods thinking "I could do that, and even better.", yet you struggle to finish anything.
If you're something like that, you're like me.
So I think that the best motivation is finishing a project and the best way to do that is by starting small.
07-15-2015, 08:28 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

Threads: 105

(07-15-2015, 08:28 PM)Spelos Wrote: I think it's about time I try to share my new findings and status.
Let's face it, motivation has killed more mods, than anything else. You find yourself looking through new mods thinking "I could do that, and even better.", yet you struggle to finish anything.
So I think that the best motivation is finishing a project and the best way to do that is by starting small.

I am like that.
Not with amnesia only, Almost everygame. Do I play A game?! I get idea's from it, and create custom models for amnesia. but it doesn't end well.
For the proof of this, I made a freaking alien planet xD

(07-15-2015, 08:28 PM)Spelos Wrote: I think it's about time I try to share my new findings and status.

I am like that.
Not with amnesia only, Almost everygame. Do I play A game?! I get idea's from it, and create custom models for amnesia. but it doesn't end well.
For the proof of this, I made a freaking alien planet xD
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2015, 08:54 PM by Amnesiaplayer.)
07-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

Would making ONE model for HPL2 count as starting small? Confused
07-15-2015, 09:30 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

Threads: 105

(07-15-2015, 09:30 PM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote: Would making ONE model for HPL2 count as starting small? Confused

What do you man by that?!!
If it's about me, I made more lol.
and if it's a real question, It is starting small, because creating models is not easy for the first time lol.
07-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

(07-15-2015, 09:30 PM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote: Would making ONE model for HPL2 count as starting small? Confused

Yep. But one can probably make it an even smaller thing by learning how to import models correctly. Then you can learn the basis of throwing one together.

Just remember if you import anything and release the story with the model included, that it also not infringing copyright :3

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
07-15-2015, 11:51 PM
Find
Nocturnal Offline

Threads: 14

(12-27-2014, 10:25 PM)MsHannerBananer Wrote: I have the same problem. No one understands why I would spend an entire year of my life devoted to something I can't even make money off of. My mother makes sure I understand that she thinks it's a waste of time and potential pretty much every day, so I can't catch a break from her, much less from any of my friends, who just genuinely couldn't be arsed to give a crap about it.

As the others have said, if you're looking for motivation, this is the perfect place to help you, but really, and this is going to sound corny as hell, if you want to do something because you enjoy doing it... you really shouldn't give two shits about what anyone else has to say about it. And as far as enthusiasm is concerned, you're the only one who can get what you want done, so why should anyone else's level of enthusiasm matter? Smile

What it comes down to, is not whether or not your friends are into it. It's whether or not you enjoy it. If you enjoy it, then it's something you can take pride in, and enjoy for yourself, and eventually you'll find friends, even if it's just one or two, who enjoy the same kinds of things as you, including your interests in modding.

So if you're looking for motivation... maybe commit yourself to a project that you intend to finish and put it up on ModDB and here on Frictional Games. The people there and here are always looking out for the next best custom story or full conversion, and it's nice and motivation-driving to see comments that are from people who are excited to play, or like what they see. I have my own work up on ModDB, and I'm pretty sure I would have quit forever ago if it weren't for some people being so nice and excited for my work. :'D

well honestly, i just started playing your mod A:IAH, it confuses the hell out of me, puzzle wize, anyway i love it so far Wink cant wait for more from you, next time make puzzles easier? even though you are a beginner, your mod doesn't say so. im being honest here, okay?
07-16-2015, 01:57 AM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

Model might look really nice, but who will actually appreciate it? You might do it for the community and let your model be here for a download. If that's the case, then yes, I would start small like that, with your goal of making a whole set of models, it is a good starting point. Tongue

I would also love to point out that whatever the scale of a project is, I think it will inevitably be much longer and harder than you thought. And as Romulator pointed out:

(07-15-2015, 11:51 PM)Romulator Wrote: "One can probably make it an even smaller thing..."

If you think that you can create something awesome only by creating Full conversion and Custom Model custom stories, you aren't looking at the whole picture.

It's not about the number of custom models, epic stories, time of play...
It's the finished project that count.

My point being:
You will learn something by starting 582 projects, but you will learn much more by finishing one of them, no matter the size.

So... What kills your projects?

(and thanks everyone for responding, I really love reading your responses)
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2015, 08:50 AM by Spelos.)
07-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

(07-15-2015, 11:51 PM)Romulator Wrote: Yep. But one can probably make it an even smaller thing by learning how to import models correctly. Then you can learn the basis of throwing one together.

I know how to import Blender models to HPL2 thanks to ThisIsYourComputer so I can import models with ease, but thanks for the advice! I make my own stuff anyways! Tongue

(07-16-2015, 08:36 AM)Spelos Wrote: So... What kills your projects?

Scope.
The big project killer, followed swiftly by little experience and always sticking to the plan.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2015, 11:05 AM by A.M Team.)
07-16-2015, 11:03 AM
Find