Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Problem installing the Penumbra Collection
lordgorthaur Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Problem installing the Penumbra Collection

Just bought and downloaded the collection. The size of the .sh-file is 935899676 bytes, which of course I don't know if what it is supposed to be.

When I try to install it I get:

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing nixstaller...............................................................Extraction failed.
.Signal caught, cleaning up

Should I just download another copy, or what could be wrong? From the first line I would conclude there is nothing wrong with the file but what else could it be?

I'm using OpenSUSE 11.1, 64-bit. I know the game itself is only 32-bit but somehow I doubt that would be an issue with the installation procedure. Maybe later, but since I've successfully run the demo in the past on the same system I doubt it.
07-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Find
vivaelamor Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Problem installing the Penumbra Collection

My working file is the same size as yours. If you want to further check, running:
md5sum PenumbraCollection-1.0.sh
gives me 26f6c28936867c454ab7fe3747c6423c

Hope this helps.
07-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Find
lordgorthaur Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Problem installing the Penumbra Collection

Okay, so probably not a problematic download then since I get the same md5-sum.

Something else is causing the problem apparently.
07-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Find
vivaelamor Offline

Some things you could try:

Check you have 32bit libraries installed (I don't know how OpenSUSE handles 32bit libs). For the installation gtk and pango libs are just two that are needed. I'm guessing yours isn't getting that far though so maybe you are lacking the correct archive libs (zlib for example).

Try fiddling around with the archive, you can get a list of options with sh PenumbraCollection-1.0.sh --help

Check free disk space, obvious one but I fail at the obvious all the time. Installer gets extracted to /tmp.
07-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Find
wulax Offline

Threads: 0

For some unknown reason i also had this problem. It worked when i did "sh PenumbraCollection-1.0.sh --target temp_install_dir". That extracts the install files into the target dir. Maybe try that?
07-20-2009, 03:20 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Yes use --target to choose a directory you know has enough free space, the error is due to your tmp folder running out of free space.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2009, 07:48 AM by jens.)
07-20-2009, 07:47 AM
Website Find
lordgorthaur Offline

(07-20-2009, 07:47 AM)jens Wrote: Yes use --target to choose a directory you know has enough free space, the error is due to your tmp folder running out of free space.

That was indeed the problem. Vivaelamor was right...it was too obvious. My own fault really since I keep /tmp mounted in ram rather than on disk. It works great most of the time but this time it introduced a gotcha I didn't think of. Maybe a better error-message when /tmp is low on free space would be a good idea?

Two other problems crept up though (not big ones though, the games run fine).

1. The installation script failed to create menu-entries. It claims they should be there but there are no signs of them in either KDE4 or IceWM.
2. The shell-script for overture is non-operational. It looks for a file called ./Overture/overture that is not there. CD into Overture and running ./penumbra starts the game (or editing the shell-script of course)
07-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Find