Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Fiend not running on Windows 7
CaralhoMassivo Offline

Threads: 1
Fiend not running on Windows 7

Hello everybody Smile

Firstly, I apologize for not being able to discern whether I should create this thread here or anywhere else, as I did not seem to find any dedicated section for Fiend.

Apart from that, well... title lol

I cannot seem to get Fiend running on Windows 7 - tried pretty much all combinations of compatibility modes with/without those fancy things like visual themes and what not - and still it won't run properly.

My girlfriend has a laptop with Windows 8.1 and the scant information about Fiend I found throughout the web suggests the game runs just fine on that OS. Still, I'd rather play it on my own laptop.

So, did anybody actually got it working on Windows 7 and if so, could you please tell me how you were able to do it?

Thank you in advance!
01-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: Fiend not running on Windows 7

Just reinstalled. Works fine on my Windows 7 Professional (64-bit).
Make sure all of the drivers are up to date. You can also try to run it in compatibility mode.

01-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Website Find
CaralhoMassivo Offline

Reinstalled the game, updated my nvidia driver and attempted to run it in compatibility mode (again), but still to no avail. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, anyways.

Anybody else, please?

[Edit: Also, installed it on my girlfriend's laptop (Windows 8.1 64-bit) and it does work just fine. Again, I'd rather play it on my own.]
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2015, 07:58 PM by CaralhoMassivo.)
01-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

What seems to be the exact problem? Can you explain in detail?
01-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Find
CaralhoMassivo Offline

(01-08-2015, 08:24 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: What seems to be the exact problem? Can you explain in detail?

It seems like the screen is stuck, or something like that. Then I alt+tab it, come back to find the next screen, but the problem persists.

I suppose this is a somewhat typical problem of (very) old games being run at newer systems, but Fiend is from 2001 so I really didn't think I'd come across this kind of issue.
01-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Under Windows 8.1 x64 it runs just fine. The correct compatibility setting (to avoid a crash while exiting) is Windows 98 / Windows ME.

If it doesn't run something must be wrong with your operating system from corrupted graphics card drivers to background program/services interfering etc.
01-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Find
CaralhoMassivo Offline

(01-08-2015, 09:57 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Under Windows 8.1 x64 it runs just fine. The correct compatibility setting (to avoid a crash while exiting) is Windows 98 / Windows ME.

If it doesn't run something must be wrong with your operating system from corrupted graphics card drivers to background program/services interfering etc.

Well, guess I'll play on my girlfriend's laptop, then.

Checking which process(es) might be hampering Fiend is one thing (and I did it, in fact), but checking which service(s) might be doing so is quite demanding.

Still, thank you everyone for your replies and hopefully other people using Windows 7 who wish to play won't happen to come across this issue.

Cheers and get hyped for SOMA!
01-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Find