Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
possible to turn an .expobj into an entity?
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
possible to turn an .expobj into an entity?

I was wondering how I could go about turning an .expobj I have saved into a single entity, is that possible? I kind of figured it wouldn't be, using HPL2 suite. I'm guessing the easiest way to do it is to just create a new model using the .expobj as a guide? I'm trying to turn the elevator from TDD into an entity that can be used outside of its shaft, so it can be viewed from all angles and entered. It'd be nice to make it into a single entity so that it can just be moved using a script, rather than the silly 'fade to black and teleport player' thing.

Here's what it looks like with all the planes and static objects making it up:
[Image: 75JFwTM.jpg]

and here's a link to download the .expobj if you're interested in looking at it.
http://www.moddb.com/downloads/elevator-expobj

[Image: signature-2.png]
01-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19
RE: possible to turn an .expobj into an entity?

Since an entity can only have one mesh, short answer is no, but there are ways around it that you could try. I've done similar things both these ways before.

1) You could import the .dae's into a 3D package and export them as submeshes of a single .dae. I had some issues with materials when I tried this with blender, but it was easy enough to fix by editing the exported .dae in np++.

2) Another way that just uses the HPL tools would be to have multiple entities that all move at the same time. You could attach the planes and billboards to one of the entities, and give all the entities the same size bodies so that they move the same distance, because the move distance is proportional to the bounding box of the bodies. (If that causes a problem, you can include shapes that are separate (at a distance) from the mesh, say outside of your map.) If you want the doors to open, you would have to switch the MoveObject entity for the SwingDoor entity at the right time.

Either way is fiddly, but can work. Have fun!

01-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

you can attach planes and billboards to an entity? how do?

01-11-2015, 08:28 PM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

(01-11-2015, 08:28 PM)Streetboat Wrote: you can attach planes and billboards to an entity? how do?

Sorry, not planes - just billboards. My bad. (But a flat billboard with a body-shape is basically a plane.)

In ModelEditor, on the left-hand toolbar, is a button a for adding billboards.

01-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

ooo, yeah, you have a good point. thanks, I'll do my best!

I wish my copy of maya still worked, i would just import these and make them into a solid model, but I gotta do it the tricky way.

01-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

There's always Blender... Smile

01-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Issue with importing the model and exporting it again would be that HPL has a material limit if I remember correctly, admitedly it has been a long time since I touched it but I believe the limit is set to three, so you're using any more than that it'll get messed up.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2015, 03:54 AM by Traggey.)
01-12-2015, 03:53 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

It's looking like I'll have to just do the ol' fade to black technique, sadly. I was hoping to set up a puzzle where the elevator goes up without you and you have to bring it back down, but it looks like the elevator will have to be a static part of the world. Poo.

01-12-2015, 04:13 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

(01-12-2015, 03:53 AM)Traggey Wrote: Issue with importing the model and exporting it again would be that HPL has a material limit if I remember correctly, admitedly it has been a long time since I touched it but I believe the limit is set to three, so you're using any more than that it'll get messed up.

How does the elevator wall model work? Isn't that one a single .dae file composed of several assets from both castlebase and cellarbase? It has walls, barrels, crates and other such stuff if I remember correctly.

01-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Find
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82

Ehm, I have actually made a scene where its the actual elevator that is going up. I made my own elevator wall out of static objects and made the actual elevator, lever and hanging lantern move upwards.

Sadly though, thanks to the way Amnesia works, you have to limit there what the player can do. If he jumps, you can clip out and if you crouch you might get stuck in the elevator floor if it goes fast. I have not messed around too much with this to fully understand how it works, but I have made a functioning one.

Derp.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2015, 12:42 PM by Neelke.)
01-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Find