Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[SPOILERS] Penumbra Twilight of the Archaic discussion thread
Omnitool Offline

Threads: 16
[SPOILERS] Penumbra Twilight of the Archaic discussion thread

Twilight of the Archaic mod has been officially launched on 31 October 2015. It is meant to offer complete closure to the Penumbra story arc, and from what is described in the MODDB page, we will be able to play an Amabel Swanson BEFORE the Tuurngait virus was released and immediately after (Half-Life anyone Smile ).

As a word of advice, it looks like the trailer has some very minor spoilers. Looks great so far though!

The trailer can be found here:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=uTylEzjMrLg

The game's official developer page can be found here (download link and instructions are also on this page):
http://www.moddb.com/mods/penumbra-twili...he-archaic

The mod requires a copy of Amnesia: The Dark Descent to play. It can also be installed via Steam Workshop for the Steam version of Amnesia.

This is a great mod and I totally love it, it has that great immersive atmosphere and feel with great storytelling that we all love! It has a great "Penumbra Black Plague combined with Half-Life" feel to it, featuring brilliant level design. CounterCurrent Games did a great job with this title like they did with Penumbra Necrologue, and they have the official Frictional Games blessing for this project as well, so it's not that surprising they came out with a superb game! I personally think this is even better then Necrologue, I always wanted a Penumbra game that acts as a prequel, allowing the player to explore the Shelter Station before the outbreak and immediately after. I have been dreaming about such a game since Black Plague came out in 2007!

This thread is meant for all discussions about this game. Users can post their thoughts about it, user reviews, links to gaming press reviews, links to game streams, screenshots, walkthroughs, as well as ask for help if stuck on certain portions of the game.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2015, 10:25 AM by Omnitool.)
11-24-2015, 10:11 AM
Find
HunchbackEnt Offline

Threads: 1
RE: [SPOILERS] Penumbra Twilight of the Archaic discussion thread

I also got that Half-Life feel in this one, especially since the prequel/different perspective element reminds me of Blue Shift lol. I have only played a little but I think it was really stupid plot element to have the Archaic be trying to make a "super soldier" and have the experiment backfire, that is so fucking cliche and it's starting to piss me off how many unimaginative horror games use it. I couldn't say I was expecting a good story though, I had fun playing Necrologue but the story was laughable. When did Frictional give their blessing to the project?
11-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Find
Omnitool Offline

Threads: 16

(11-25-2015, 08:08 PM)HunchbackEnt Wrote: When did Frictional give their blessing to the project?

I'm not 100% sure about Twilight of the Archaic, but I know for sure that CounterCurrent Games were working together with Frictional to fix some bugs (there was a problem with the saving system) for the Necrologue mod.

Proof here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/penumbra-necro...lease-date
Quote:Dear friends! We're huge apologizing for the another delay of the release date. This is related to the critical bug affecting the save game files. Playing with this bug is difficult and uncomfortable, so we want to fix it. At the moment, we have been able to establish contact with Frictional Games and report a bug engine and they agreed to help us. As for the other bugs and flaws of the game, they have already been fixed, so we hope that the release will not be delayed for long. Thank you for understanding.

The game was also featured on Frictional Games's website for the Penumbra series as a "semiofficial" fourth Penumbra game and a conclusion to Philip's story.

Given this facts, I am sure that FG also agreed with Twilight of the Archaic...
It is similar to how Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is related to Amnesia: The Dark Descent, even thugh AAMFP is made by another developer, it is still set in the same universe as a parralel story and FG supported and promoted it!
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2015, 12:48 PM by Omnitool.)
12-02-2015, 12:47 PM
Find
HunchbackEnt Offline

Oh my...I enjoyed Necrologue but I did not like the story at all, there was so much that didn't make sense, like when Clarence just left. Kind of a let down it is semiofficial but I wouldn't say full on official like AAMFP.
12-11-2015, 12:17 AM
Find
Sleepbug Offline

Threads: 4

(12-02-2015, 12:47 PM)Omnitool Wrote: The game was also featured on Frictional Games's website for the Penumbra series as a "semiofficial" fourth Penumbra game and a conclusion to Philip's story.
I looked everywhere on their website and didn't find this.

Also, kinda unrelated but SOMA is still in the In dev category on the site.
Might wanna fix that, Frictional...

Are You Still In There? Am I Still Here?
12-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Find
HunchbackEnt Offline

(12-12-2015, 11:38 PM)Cridone Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 12:47 PM)Omnitool Wrote: The game was also featured on Frictional Games's website for the Penumbra series as a "semiofficial" fourth Penumbra game and a conclusion to Philip's story.
I looked everywhere on their website and didn't find this.

Also, kinda unrelated but SOMA is still in the In dev category on the site.
Might wanna fix that, Frictional...

LOL I love these guys to death but they need to seriously improve their website, everything looks unappealing and the layout is kind of confusing compared to say The Chinese Room's website.
12-20-2015, 05:16 PM
Find