Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This game going to have weapons or any nature of combat?
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78
RE: This game going to have weapons or any nature of combat?

(03-20-2015, 06:05 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: Errrrm... I'm sure he meant to say sperm whales...

Yeah, the game's taking place underwater, so why the hell not.
03-20-2015, 06:10 PM
Find
Darth Biomech Offline

Threads: 0

To be honest, inability to fight is always ruined suspence of disbelief in the horror games. No, no, hear me out first, lower that pitchfork! I mean, that even if it would make sense, player will never attempt to pick up anything that can be used as an weapon, even if there is several pipe wrenches laying around. Even when he know that shit gone down and his life is at stake. Yes, so I'd be glad to see ability to fight back in the horror game. But. I also agree that ability to kill or scare away monster (like in Alien: Isolation) is a major blow to the horror atmosphere and tension. Like in said Alien: Isolation, the entire second half of the game feels more like "Ha, get away from me YOU BITCH, here's some FIRE IN YO FACE!" rather than horror.

So, what if you can ATTEMPT to fight back, but it will be either alltogether unsuccesfull, resulting in you being killed, or it will hinder your enemy for max of several seconds (the blow of the wrench throwed him\it off the balance for example), but otherwise didn't affected the enemy at all, and he is still after you, but that attack can possibly get you out of tight situations when you are cornered and nowhere to run or hide. In othere games in such situation only two things usually happen: the monster is either grabs you by the throat, look at you very closely, then throws you away in such way that you could escape him now, or it starts to hit you, often several times before you finally die. Both of these situations are somewhat of game-breaker somewhat, first one just don't make sense (it hunted you for half of the game, and when it finally grabbed you, it just angrily throwed you across the room? WTF?!) and second one is reminding you that it is a game with game mechanics of monster attacks (but that case is lifted if it's attacks are one-hit kills) which also breaks suspence of disbelief.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2015, 04:34 PM by Darth Biomech.)
05-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(05-27-2015, 04:32 PM)Darth Biomech Wrote: So, what if you can ATTEMPT to fight back, but it will be either alltogether unsuccesfull, resulting in you being killed, or it will hinder your enemy for max of several seconds (the blow of the wrench throwed him\it off the balance for example), but otherwise didn't affected the enemy at all, and he is still after you, but that attack can possibly get you out of tight situations when you are cornered and nowhere to run or hide.

*throws box at Grunt*
1. Grunt shakes it off like Taylor Swift, then comes charging, resulting in more powerful hit.
2. Box pushes grunt slightly. Doesn't stutter. Chases you.

Amnesia and Penumbra have had their methods of halting/limiting enemy encounters and taking damage using pretty much what you described. Considering that's the same direction Frictional Games has taken in the past, and the fact we haven't seen any weapons which could attack enemies lethally and be held by the player, honest speculation is no. There won't be weapons. But there will be objects to stun enemies unless they are unable to be stunned.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
05-27-2015, 05:01 PM
Find
Darth Biomech Offline

That reminded me of second Penumbra, and one place there, when you could climb ontop of pile of boxes in one room, and just throw them at the monster who was walking back and fourth on the ground, unable to reach you. So there's that too. =D
05-27-2015, 05:29 PM
Find
213 Offline

lack of weapons doesn't denote groundbreaking design, it just means the devs didn't bother or didn't want to make it work and still retain the horror element.

and we know this is true because games have made it work before.
05-31-2015, 01:00 AM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

While I agree that lack of weapons is overrated, it's sometimes an artistic decision. If A:TDD had featured weapons, it would have been completely different, and its brand of horror would have been completely different as well.
05-31-2015, 04:30 PM
Find