Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Note Problems
darkHumanoid Offline

Threads: 1
Exclamation  Custom Note Problems

Okay for my first official custom story, I have decided it would be cool if I added my own custom textured note in it. By custom textured I mean re-using the mesh of the generic_note and applying a different material to it.

At first it seemed I did everything right , for the texture appear in the model editor.

But when I try and use it in the level editor it did not show the texture rather the texture of the mesh I used ( the generic_note ) and I became completely lost from there because any thread similar to my problem that I found did not help much.

I don't know where the logs are located so I couldn't figure out if there was a problem with my texture ( other then looking very sloppy )

.dds formatted texture
[Image: gH1znvG.png]

blood_note in the level editor
[Image: ytPv4fT.jpg]

blood_note in the model editor
[Image: 3H48ddQ.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2015, 06:03 AM by darkHumanoid.)
05-02-2015, 06:01 AM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73
RE: Custom Note Problems

The custom note should be .png
-
Here is an example i created.
Quote:custom_notePhone50prcChair_bg_large

SO also be sure to make them
PHP Code: (Select All)
custom_NAME-OF-NOTE_bg_large 
-
Also be sure to have the .png and .ent in your Custom Story folder.
Be sure to load it from there!!!
Otherwise people will NOT see it because it loads from YOUR computer Wink
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2015, 08:33 AM by DnALANGE.)
05-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

In regards to the .png comment above, no, I would absolutely say that using .png will not be better. If so, it can only be because the dds file is formatted incorrectly (which I doubt as it actually does show up), but png files are not the format to use for games like these (although they do work in many cases).

I think the issue here is rather simple but annoying. If you name a file the same as something that already exists in the game, the engine might confuse them and pick the wrong one. Therefore, I suggest that when you make a new entitiy out of an existing one, copy it but also RENAME it. Just make sure to update any references, because file names are also present inside some of the files.

I would start copying the .dae and .dds files (and modify it). Rename those and open the .dae file with a text editor. Find the line that points to the texture and update it to your new name. After that, open the .dae in the model viewer to generate a new .msh and .mat file. After that, it might be easier to create a new entity instead of trying to port the old one, so import the mesh into the model editor, add a body, properties and set the type to Note. Save as custom entity.

If you need any further instructions I can explain some more if you don't understand all this. Good luck!

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2015, 06:32 PM by Mudbill.)
05-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

All of my custom notes are .png.
The other formats didnt work.
ANd PNG is having alpha in it.
It works and filesieze is small as well.
So, you CAN sue if you want.
IIRC, it HAD to be PNG.. otherwise... listen to Mudbill

-
you are doing SOOO difficult Mudbill...
Here is how you need to do it.
/...\
Can't find the Note anymore.. I made one.
I need to search for it, otherwise i will remake a TXT for you how to do it properly.
Back tomorrow hopefully,
IF someone else will help you, then i will leave this treadh.

Got it Working now!
Will make a small video for you to show how easy it is.
Coming up in a moment.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2015, 07:05 PM by DnALANGE.)
05-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Find
darkHumanoid Offline

(05-02-2015, 06:31 PM)Mudbill Wrote: In regards to the .png comment above, no, I would absolutely say that using .png will not be better. If so, it can only be because the dds file is formatted incorrectly (which I doubt as it actually does show up), but png files are not the format to use for games like these (although they do work in many cases).

I think the issue here is rather simple but annoying. If you name a file the same as something that already exists in the game, the engine might confuse them and pick the wrong one. Therefore, I suggest that when you make a new entitiy out of an existing one, copy it but also RENAME it. Just make sure to update any references, because file names are also present inside some of the files.

I would start copying the .dae and .dds files (and modify it). Rename those and open the .dae file with a text editor. Find the line that points to the texture and update it to your new name. After that, open the .dae in the model viewer to generate a new .msh and .mat file. After that, it might be easier to create a new entity instead of trying to port the old one, so import the mesh into the model editor, add a body, properties and set the type to Note. Save as custom entity.

If you need any further instructions I can explain some more if you don't understand all this. Good luck!

Do you think you could tell me which line exactly in the .dae?
05-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Here is the video How you can do it.
couple of minutes.
Good luck and hope you can fix your note now.
DnALANGE

There you go DarkHumanoid.
Made this tutorial for you.
Hope you can get it to work now.
WITH PNG.. if you want to use dds, tga, check it out yourself.

Good luck!
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2015, 07:27 PM by DnALANGE.)
05-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Find
darkHumanoid Offline

(05-02-2015, 07:20 PM)DnALANGE Wrote: Here is the video How you can do it.
couple of minutes.
Good luck and hope you can fix your note now.
DnALANGE

There you go DarkHumanoid.
Made this tutorial for you.
Hope you can get it to work now.
WITH PNG.. if you want to use dds, tga, check it out yourself.

Good luck!

Thanks for the video but that is not what I was wanting..sorry for the confusion but this will become useful later on for me, no what I want is the model to appear with that texture I am showing you. As in the player will see the blood stain hand paper on the ground will as seeing it when reading it
05-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

(05-02-2015, 07:08 PM)darkHumanoid Wrote: Do you think you could tell me which line exactly in the .dae?

Use ctrl-f to find it. Just search up the name of the old texture.

Also, the reason I don't recommend .pngs is because they are not optimized for games. The name says it all (Portable Network Graphics). DDS files run better in games like these because they load faster (supposedly), and use less VRAM from the graphics card.

Take a quick read here, although it is based on users' experience, not fact: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post...opic=68349

05-02-2015, 10:05 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Oeps!
Sorry DarkHumanoid!
Misread some things here :O...
Do what Mudbill said above, Control-f and then search for the .dds \ .tga and you just overwrite that with your .dds \ .tga.

It should work, and ALWAYS put everything in YOUR story, and never overwrite Original stuff Wink

Good luck!
05-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

Try doing it using this method, I learned how to retexture stuff from this jolly image, so big thanks to Carnivorous Jelly for that. Perhaps doing it manually will help, sorry if I misunderstood your problem.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2015, 02:05 PM by Slanderous.)
05-03-2015, 02:04 PM
Find