Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine capped to 60 updates per second?
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Engine capped to 60 updates per second?

I know this question has been asked before, but all the threads I've seen don't seem to give a proper answer. I've pieced together what I believe is it, but if anyone knows or can help, please do.

I recently got a rig, including a 144Hz monitor. Amnesia (and Penumbra as well) does not display more than 60 FPS regardless, from what it seems. First off, it's limited to 60 FPS in the config, secondly it might be limited by V-Sync, but there's one more thing which actually is the issue here...

Even though I set LimitFPS="False" and Vsync="False" in the configs, the game will still not display more than 60. The debug FPS counter will tell me I have 200, but I can FEEL that it is not up to par with my 144Hz monitor.

I saw another line in the config, which says UpdatesPerSec="60.000000". I thought perhaps this one told the game that it would not GIVE any updates more frequently than this. I set it up but no noticeable difference.

So my question is, as you'll expect: How can I (if possible) achieve more than 60 visual frames per second in Amnesia (and Penumbra as well for that matter)? Is it limited because it will affect the engine physics at higher rates? Does the internal engine not send more updates to the view? I read in one thread that OpenGL does not support more than 60 FPS. Is this true?

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2015, 05:11 PM by Mudbill.)
05-23-2015, 05:08 PM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Engine capped to 60 updates per second?

This is all hypothesis, but experiments in making a "timerless loop" seemed to show that the shortest possible time between script executions is 1/60s. I don't know about OpenGL, but I guess that limit goes for physics updates too, and I guess maybe HPL2 is hardcoded at 60fps because of this.

If that's true, then if you run at 120fps then the 1st and 2nd frame would be identical because nothing has happened. In other words, good luck!

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2015, 03:11 AM by MrBehemoth.)
05-25-2015, 03:10 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Engine capped to 60 updates per second?

Do you think the UpdatesPerSec thing might affect the script execution of 1/60? Well, not that it would help anything, but if this thing does anything whatsoever, I expect it to be something like that.

05-25-2015, 05:27 AM
Find