Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenAL Error
J.C Denton Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago OpenAL Error

Hi,

I'm posting this because I'm suffering from a specific issue since about two weeks now and for really unknown reasons. While there have been some topics about it here, I'd like to post it again since my problem might be a bit different and that no solution worked for me.

When I try to start the game, I get this message :

FATAL ERROR : No sound devices available! Check your OpenAL installation

This message is displayed both for Dark Descent and Machine for Pigs, should I start the game or the launcher.

This is really weird since I'm on a laptop on which both games have been working in absolute perfect conditions until now.

In order to fix this problem, this is what I've been doing :
-Verified Amnesia local files.
-Deleted the game and reinstalled it.
-Deleted the game, the remaining folders (common and my document folders) and reinstalled the game.
-Tried to install OpenAL manually but this seems to be tricky to do since the official website is offline...
-Analyzed my Hard Disk with checkdisk.

Things I must say :
-My other games (Steam or non steam) and apps work perfectly.
-I didn't remove Amnesia from my Hard Disk since the last time I played it
-I've been trying to search how to fix the problem on Internet but nothing worked so far.

My computer is pretty old and is set up like this :

Windows 7 x64 (up to date, checked again today in case of)
i5 processor m430 2.27Ghz
4Gb RAM
nVidia Gefore 330M (341.44 drivers, checked again today but my CG seems not updated anymore)

I could however play both Amnesia games on it with absolutely no problems.

Searching for possible issues with my computers, I checked the Windows Device Managment and found a device list which looks a bit weird to me in the Audio Devices part. I remember my sound card is a Realtek but it isn't displayed there. Yet, I have no issues with my sound beside this one. I joined a screenshot on this thread so that you can check it by yourself. I also joined HPL and Launcher logs.

Do you have any idea how to eventualy fix this problem or hints to give to me? I'd really appreciate it. Smile

Thanks a lot by advance and feel free to ask any extra questions so that I can explain my problem in best conditions possible. Smile

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 2.11 KB / Downloads: 110)
.log   launcher.log (Size: 1.03 KB / Downloads: 101)
.png   Sound devices.png (Size: 5.99 KB / Downloads: 126)
05-30-2015, 06:28 PM
Find
jmitchell Offline

Threads: 6
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: OpenAL Error

Well, all the errors seem to be telling you to reinstalling OpenAL (I mean, not that it wasn't obvious Tongue ).

The main site seems to be down still, but there are downloads still working at http://www.openal-soft.org/, which is reputable. Try that. Hope it works out for you!

05-31-2015, 12:57 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Visit Realtek's site and download the latest Audio drivers for your embedded sound card. You are missing drivers or were replaced for some reason with generic non-working/incompatible ones etc...
05-31-2015, 12:59 AM
Find
Unregistered

Sorry for the late reply guys. I partly solved the problem by installing the Preview Version of Windows 10. Both games work perfectly on it so yeah it must come from my "old" Windows 7. I'll try to follow your advice and let you know if it worked or not.

Thanks for you time Smile
06-07-2015, 09:57 PM